The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dowd=Megma=Vey

kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

[ (Dowd + Megna + Chaput) ^ Jim Agnew ] = [ (Gaunce + John McIntyre + Richard Park) ^ Marc Chouinard ]

The derivative of your equation is integral to the analytics of the analytics guys. May your contribution add to their random facts that they like to spew about for no reason. ;)

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, pretty hard to win when 2 of top 3 centres are hurt at the same time ......

Really gives a chance for the other centres to step up.... too bad they   ( Granlund/Gauce/Dowd )  haven't  seized the opportunity......

What exactly are you expecting of Dowd? Him to cure cancer or something?

He's a 4th liner with potential to be better, but with little pressure to be better than that. We needed that role filled and he's filled that role nicely.

Just now, The Lock said:

What exactly are you expecting of Dowd? Him to cure cancer or something?

He's a 4th liner with potential to be better, but with little pressure to be better than that. We needed that role filled and he's filled that role nicely.

1 pt in 13 games for Dowd is really nothing that great is it ?

29 games played this year he has 1 goal and 1 assist....

I realize he was brought in to fill a gap till injured guys come back..  

Just commenting on the history of our club bringing in centres that really haven't worked out.

TBH i am more disappointed with  Granny and Gaunce .  I was expecting both of them to increase their contributions with increased opportunities they have been given this year....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

29 games played this year he has 1 goal and 1 assist....

I realize he was brought in to fill a gap till injured guys come back..  

Just commenting on the history of our club bringing in centres that really haven't worked out.

TBH i am more disappointed with  Granny and Gaunce .  I was expecting both of them to increase their contributions with increased opportunities they have been given this year....

If you expect a 4th liner to have more than 1 point in 13 games then you might as well watch another sport where players typically get more points in. 4th liners don't typically get points. I think this is why I haven't really seen anyone agreeing with you in this thread as of yet.

Dowd is nothing like Vey or Megna. Should we start comparing Horvat with Toews and expect Horvat to have the same production? A little unfair is it not?

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, pretty hard to win when 2 of top 3 centres are hurt at the same time ......

Really gives a chance for the other centres to step up.... too bad they   ( Granlund/Gauce/Dowd )  haven't  seized the opportunity......

Bo is arguably our number 1c - which of those names have the ability to be a number 1 C in the NHL? LOL

Sutter is one of the best #3c's in the league. Gaunce is being played as a 4W not a center but has played terrific and certainly is no comparison to Sutter at this stage of his career. Dowd is a 4c at best and is really a depth guy when all players are healthy, and Granny has been and is best suited on the wing.

No one in that list is capable of filling those role so expecting them to 'step up and seize the opportunity' is a bit absurd

3 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Bo is arguably our number 1c - which of those names have the ability to be a number 1 C in the NHL? LOL

Sutter is one of the best #3c's in the league. Gaunce is being played as a 4W not a center but has played terrific and certainly is no comparison to Sutter at this stage of his career. Dowd is a 4c at best and is really a depth guy when all players are healthy, and Granny has been and is best suited on the wing.

No one in that list is capable of filling those role so expecting them to 'step up and seize the opportunity' is a bit absurd

No one expected boeser to step up and do what he has accomplished this year either. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

No one expected boeser to step up and do what he has accomplished this year either. 

Boeser was always seen as having a higher offensive ceiling than all of those guys friend...If you're now comparing a ceiling of Boeser to Gaunce and Dowd not sure what to say. And Granny while a good 2 way player is also not his brother who is the higher offensive ceiling player of the two

3 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Boeser was always seen as having a higher offensive ceiling than all of those guys friend...

Of course 

my point is some players seize the opportunity and exeed expectations

i do not think our centres have done that.  Dowd , granny/ gaunce 

gagner i think is pretty weak in our end 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And no one should have expected it. He's a rookie. It's great that he's playing above expectations, but that does not give the excuse to suddenly expect everyone else to jump up "because Boeser did".

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Of course 

my point is some players seize the opportunity and exeed expectations

i do not think our centres have done that.  Dowd , granny 

gagner i think is pretty weak in our end 

Sure but none of them have the talent to fill those roles is the point - and Gaunce and Granny aren't even really centers anymore. If anyone, your argument would have been sounder in my view if you had said Gagner as you just did now. 50 pt player in the past, oppty for primo ice, should be able to fill the  2/3 role very well and as you said has kind of been blah and not good in his own end - on him I would agree

And on that same note (not filling the role of centers) but exceeding (and perhaps now I see I misinterpreted your point as you may have meant 'in general' vs assuming a 1c or 3c role - if so, yes Granny has disappointed offensively but still competing and playing hard in his own end, one would have hoped to see advancement from last year but maybe he's more like Hansen? On Gaunce, we cant expect offense same with Dowd.

Who I am disappointed with and has not shown even a bit more has been Goldy and Virt -while young they have been getting more ice and not really doing much with it...they are guys that worry me more than the names you mentioned because they are 'key offensive' player for the future, The names you mentioned really are key 2 way and depth/defensive guys

2 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Sure but none of them have the talent to fill those roles is the point - and Gaunce and Granny aren't even really centers anymore. If anyone, your argument would have been sounder in my view if you had said Gagner as you just did now. 50 pt player in the past, oppty for primo ice, should be able to fill the  2/3 role very well and as you said has kind of been blah and not good in his own end - on him I would agree

My point is that we have had alot of injuries with our centres

this means other guys have gotten more minutes.  More o zone starts.  

Just dont think our centres have really taken advantage of increased opportunities 

but i guess u could say that about most of the forwards 

boeser is really carrying the club.    With some help from hank and danny 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My point is that we have had alot of injuries with our centres

this means other guys have gotten more minutes.  More o zone starts.  

Just dont think our centres have really taken advantage of increased opportunities 

but i guess u could say that about most of the forwards 

boeser is really carrying the club.    With some help from hank and danny 

yep I just adjusted my comment to that, I mentioned I may have misinterpreted, which now you confirm I did....i still dont agree on those names (see my past post i editted it), but on the thesis - yes - not good to see some players not step up with more ice - no debate there

Dowd is an upgrade on Megna and Vey.  He may not have Vey's skill set but Dowd has shown good battle and he has been good on the faceoffs.  He's tenacious.  I see Dowd evolving into a solid 4th line centre with Gaunce on one of his wings.  He has more toughness than Vey and Megna and he seems hungry to stay in the NHL.  I hope we keep him on the team.

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

why are you ragging on this guy? he wasn't brought in to score, maybe you didn't realize that. 

he's won 50% of his face-offs, has decent possession numbers with about 80% d-zone starts, only 3 giveaways in 12 games... what were you expecting?

Something we've been missing for some time is that defensive 4th line center. I still truly believe that getting such a player is important for every line up. For a while I thought Gaunce or Cassels would take up that role but that looks unlikely. Instead Sutter has been taking most defensive match-ups (along with Horvat), but with him gone right now we are clearly missing him. In fact with both gone, all our defensively gifted centers are gone. 

Dowd is maybe not the best player around and he certainly hasn't shown much offensive acumen but he is fitting right in as a guy who can take match-ups for Green. And he is doing well most nights. Sounds like a great 13th forward to me, and I'd definitely take him over Chaput=Megna=Vey. 

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He's a serviceable fourth liner and that's all I expect from him. I'd take him over Megna any day.

Dowd is a plug who can win face-offs.   When Bo and Sutter come back his days are numbered at the big club.  our bottom 6 is littered with guys who cannot score Gaunce, Chaput, and Dowd are the obvious.    

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

Dowd is a plug who can win face-offs.   When Bo and Sutter come back his days are numbered at the big club.  our bottom 6 is littered with guys who cannot score Gaunce, Chaput, and Dowd are the obvious.    

This pretty well sums up the D.M.V.

Archived