The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] To panic, or not to panic... that is the question.

Freeridebc

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What is there to panic about? If I was a fan of a team that had seven top-10 picks in the last eight years, four of them being first overall picks, and is currently sitting near the bottom of the standings in the entire league, then yes, I would be panicking right now.

Edmonton has no excuses, Chiapet needed to make some moves by now so that makes me wonder if he's letting the team tank for a shot at Dahlin. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm not panicking at all.  We're not a playoff team, weren't going to be anyways, so we might as well finish as low as possible and get a great draft pick.  That's what's happening, and Boeser is looking like a young Brett Hull.  All signs are that he and Horvat will be fantastic players in their primes a few years from now when we should rightfully expect the team to be winning games.  Anyone who expected the team to be so good this year that the current results are cause for panic was never really in touch with reality.

Cant say it much better, winning streaks have a way of creating delusional thoughts that's ok.  Nobody had us making the playoffs, and most had us close to dead last before the year started so the story line appears on course.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edmonton has no excuses, Chiapet needed to make some moves by now so that makes me wonder if he's letting the team tank for a shot at Dahlin. 

I had the same thoughts, why are they so bad after such a great year and playoff?  And why haven't they made some moves to get things back on track unless this is the track they really want ... 

I'd be panicking if we were scratching and clawing all year to squeeze into that final playoff spot. In my opinion things are looking good right now.

When this team is ready to make the playoffs it wont be some unforeseen miracle like it would've been this year. The team will be rebuilt and look like they belong in the postseason without draining their whole gas tank just to get there. Even if they stayed perfectly healthy this year, they're just not there yet.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I had the same thoughts, why are they so bad after such a great year and playoff?  And why haven't they made some moves to get things back on track unless this is the track they really want ... 

You’re not alone with these thoughts.... I’m going to get physically sick if Oilers get Dahlin. Absolutely disgusting... shouldn’t be allowed in on the sweepstakes after all the premium picks they’ve had. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What is there to panic about? If I was a fan of a team that had seven top-10 picks in the last eight years, four of them being first overall picks, and is currently sitting near the bottom of the standings in the entire league, then yes, I would be panicking right now.

Causally bashing the Coilers. I like it!

When people said this was a team that needed another 2-3 years they were probably right.  Of course I want to see them try and make teh playoffs every year, but it seems like the next wave of prospects are probably a short while away.  In the meantime, this team needs a new top 6 to emerge.  I think Bo and Boeser can do it, and Virtanen just needs to keep improving but I think he has the makings of an impact player.  I really like Pouliot as well- when he is on his game he makes every body better. 

What has really killed the team this season is the speed they lost.  Sutter, Dorsett, and Bo had a big impact on their lines with their speed and energy.  Those three in the line up with Boeser clicking and who knows what the result could be?  That's sports for you.

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

You’re not alone with these thoughts.... I’m going to get physically sick if Oilers get Dahlin. Absolutely disgusting... shouldn’t be allowed in on the sweepstakes after all the premium picks they’ve had. 

They should just give them an automotic  by to the playoffs, playing themselves and stay out of the lottery.  Given its largely them and Buffalo that robbed us of a 3 and a 1 or second under the old rules, ....oh what am I saying, looks like they found a Coffey to McDavids Gretzky, might as well order the sweaters.

One thing that is reassuring is that we dont seem out of many games.  With a little better goaltending and a couple guys back a lot of the losses would have been wins.   That tells us we are close, and I think management knows this.  Injuries are no excuse, just look at what happened to ANA this year, they are just a little deeper to deal with it.

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

One thing that is reassuring is that we dont seem out of many games.  With a little better goaltending and a couple guys back a lot of the losses would have been wins.   That tells us we are close, and I think management knows this.  Injuries are no excuse, just look at what happened to ANA this year, they are just a little deeper to deal with it.

It takes time... But the drafting has been good, and in a couple of years we will become relevant again.

It will be very interesting to see if the new recruits continue improving at the pace they've been so far... 

Its been very encouraging so far.

HOnestly im at a point where im not even bothered by the results. First of all we saw that when healthy, we were a respectable team that brought it 95% of the time. Secondly, Boeser is a beauty and a franchise player in the making. Also, this year I just have this gut feeling that we’re gonna be the team Bettman chooses to give a generational player, I mean it makes too much sense to revive the city of Vancouver, seeing as it is a huge money maker. And obviously, even though i have high hopes to having the lotto in our favour, I do realise that even with a top 5-7 pick, we will be on the right track to building a contender. Add all the factors like Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Gaudette, Demko, Pettersson, Dahlen etc... that are gonna rise through the ranks, I mean we can only be excited about the future. We’re in year 2 1/2 of an actual rebuild and we’re already on the way back up, something Jets, Leafs, Oilers, Flames, Canadiens and Sens fans are all absolutely jealous of. We are doing things the right way, being patient and not rushing it, using band aid solutions instead of throwing young players to the wolves, and its working. In 2 years our team is a playoff CONTENDER. So no im not panicking, this draft 2018 is a win win no matter how the lotto balls fall.

Archived