The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] To panic, or not to panic... that is the question.

Freeridebc

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ha ha.  So true.  Wasn't too long ago that every single player more or less fought when Philly went to Ottawa ( ok for us older guy five or six years doesn't seem that long), starting with Brashear and ending with Spezza...or more like the end of the third period.

Long ago in a galaxy far far away, they used to clear the benches and fans got to enjoy a real all out donny-brook.  If you were lucky enough to be at the game you know no matter how many you tube videos you watch it just doesn't do it justice. You don't even know what to watch, and it goes on and on, much like some of my posts. Ha ha .

Yeah I'm too young to have experience the hard core days of the 70s-80s. Most have been fun. 

No worries...

if JB takes the BPA in the draft and not draft for position in the first round, then draft Dmen in the second and third rounds if Dahlin isn't taken by the Canucks in the first;

if JB stops signing players like LE and SG;

if JB congratulates the Sedins for terrific careers and thank them for their time and service, then moves on;

if JB manages the cap space rather than giving it away like candy at a parade and brings in players that have upside and can score.

it matters what JB does this year because it will affect the direction of this team for a long, long time if he makes the right moves or if he doesn't make the right moves.

JB worries me...because of his moves so far.

JB can do a lot of damage.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Yeah I'm too young to have experience the hard core days of the 70s-80s. Most have been fun. 

I was too young for the seventies but grew up then and by the eightees thought bench clearing brawls were just part of the sport, big bad Bruins, Broad Street Bullies followed by the Habs answer to them in Larry Robinson who beat all their tough guys to a pulp one by one...Gilles was no slouch either for the Islanders.  As a kid it just seemed like the norm.  The Eightees right through the mid ninetees were epic both for the skill level ( yes of course the goalies weren't 6 6 and more pucks went in which was fun) and the fights.  The optics weren't good so they penalized the enforcer and the line brawls out of the sport.  I guess it's for the best but it sure did make for some exciting hockey.

We can panic in 2-3 years if we still really suck. 

For now, just enjoy watching Boeser. 

Next year have fun watching Petterson. 

Our goalies this year absolutely suck, so we are almost guaranteed to have Demko up next year.  That will be fun.   

No no need to panic because we are right where we are supposed to be.   

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Exactly, our 5-2 losses aren't as bad as they look. A lot of those goals are empty netters as you said...no one ever goes FULL Heatly/Lindros...it's career suicide...lol.

Yes it's not common, but Bure did it  and I'm still sore about it (just kidding..mostly).  I dont like it when guys decide they don't want to play as a Canuck anymore, I understand that there are probably underlying reasons but it doesn't make it any easier. 

Ottawa burned effigies of Heatley and booed him mercilessly ( EDM too) one fan even sued Yashin for 27 million when he sat out and then came back to play his last year....so it makes us a little crazy when they stuff happens.  In Quebec the fans wore diapers and pelted Lindros with soothers/pacifiers....good times.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If Canuck fans are panicking, what they hell are they doing in Edmonton, Ottawa and Montreal?

Crying, hair pulling and drinking.  At least thats how I imagine it.  Live close  to Ottawa and the dissapointment is palpable, especially with Karlsson UFA status looming, the owner threatening to move the team if the deal to build another arena can't be made, and Duchene not lighting it up (yet, he's not terrible either).  So hail pulling for my neighbors.  

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

No worries...

if JB takes the BPA in the draft and not draft for position in the first round, then draft Dmen in the second and third rounds if Dahlin isn't taken by the Canucks in the first;

if JB stops signing players like LE and SG;

if JB congratulates the Sedins for terrific careers and thank them for their time and service, then moves on;

if JB manages the cap space rather than giving it away like candy at a parade and brings in players that have upside and can score.

it matters what JB does this year because it will affect the direction of this team for a long, long time if he makes the right moves or if he doesn't make the right moves.

JB worries me...because of his moves so far.

JB can do a lot of damage.

If FA doesn't lose his nerve and give up on this rebuild by firing JB and hiring another GM with a different take on how to build a team.

How about if........JB can convince ownership to let him do the right things......if he can do this.......

Can JB keep the team he is building together and under the cap?

It's a tough job.

Panic? We are right where we want to be. Losing sucks, but I am happy to be entertained by the team and lose a close one. We were never going to make the playoffs in the end, so great to see some awesome play by Boeser this year. Goal tending is certainly iffy at best, but comforting to know Demko is in the pipeline. Another Miller-esque patch may be needed for a year or 2. This draft we need to grab a stud who is ready to step in and contribute very soon. If Juolevi and Petterson can make the jump things are starting to get interesting. Load up at the draft and momentum is pushing in the right direction. 2-3 years from now and we have a young exciting team. Celebrate!

20 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Canucks will lock him up for max years, till he's 28 - at that point he'll likely decide where his best odds are to win a cup if we have not already. After 8 years in a new city, its home. And who knows maybe we will be a dynasty then and Minnesota will suck. Tavares is a different issue since NYI have been perennially crap, this year there seems to be some long term help for him and promise, so he may very well re-sign. And as much as I love Brock, let's wait to see if he can produce like Tavares consistently for 8 years first

Exactly, i'm not worried at all about Brock. And if the time comes he decides to go another way, then all the best to him. He's nothing short of classy and humble, at such a young age that is hard to find.

20 hours ago, spook007 said:

That is definitely a fair comment, but again Tavares hasn’t left yet ::D  

I know, what you’re thinking though and if I was Tavares I’d also consider my options. Probably would like a proper shot at the SC. Hence I don’t see us in the running should he become available. Unfortunately....

the one BC boy I wanted bad to wanna come home, was Shea Weber, but he didn’t. I think with him in the line up, we would have had a SC or two. The money spent on Garrison and whats his name (Ballard), who should have had the press box named after him, could have covered his salary. That boat sailed long ago, but It was the missing piece in my opinion. 

I've always wanted Weber to come home, but instead we got Yanniked...lol. My hometown bucket list has Morgan Rielly on it now tho (a long shot), and yes...E. Kane, which at least may happen!

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  If Boeser is a PPG player the rest of the year, and again next year, it will take 10 million x 6-8 to sign him.  Six million gives you an ok first liner or a very good second liner these days, or a very good defenseman.   GMs just can't help themselves, and pay a premium for sure things or stars, and the rest of the players enjoy the second class citizens it's creating.  Journeyman sign for lesser deals because GMs will just rotate their prospect pool until something cheap that can do more or less the same thing comes up.  It could be the biggest issue the next CBA will have to deal with as a large portion of the NHLPA will likely take issue on this.

BTW Boeser will be worth every penny if he keeps it up, his peak won't come for sometime and we'd have him locked in for his best years.

Imagine Brock with the Pens. 

Malkin or Crosby feeding that shot.

Hull and Oats

Archived