The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Should The Canucks Draft Second Overall

TonyStrecher

I stated earlier, the measure on BPA is usually if one guy is un-guardable, the other is.  

I don't lament missing out on Tkachuk's older brother for example.  He's skilled, competitive, clever even with the puck (surprisingly so), effective. But he does not have blinding speed, or jaw dropping puck skills.  A good D can guard Matthew Tkachuk.  I have no problem picking an excellent defensive prospect.   Laine is too fast, too big, too strong, shoots the puck too well.

Brady is closer to a BPA you would have a hard time ignoring.  He's bigger, a better athlete, just as competitive. Borderline and more compelling where you might not pass on him...

12 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

At number 2 you'd take a Rafalski over a Malkin? wow...if you said a guaranteed Duncan Keith or PK Subban ok.....but we have no need for an undersized one way dman especially in the west

You do know Rafalski was a top 10 defenseman in the league during his time right?

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Or The next Erik Karlsson in Boqvist.

We have never seen a player like Orr until we saw Erik Karlsson. And your going to say that there are 2 Franchise defining defensemen in this draft? Boquist is good, reminds me of a slighter OEK, but his defensive game is suspect at best.

1 minute ago, BoeserSnipe said:

At number 2 you'd take a Rafalski over a Malkin? wow...if you said a guaranteed Duncan Keith or PK Subban ok.....but we have no need for an undersized one way dman especially in the west

Svechnikov is not Malkin. Malkin was a PPG at 18 in Russia, Svechnikov is barely a PPG player on a stacked Barrie team. Also Malkin has an edge about his game that Svech doesn't have. Hughes ain't perfect, but in every game I have seen of his this year (About 15) he makes about 5-6 plays that are absolutely staggering, ridiculously clever, or just special. He has that ability to just carry the puck as he pleases and do whatever he wants with it. That is so special

6 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

who were his partners?

Niedermayer

Lidstrom

Pretty sure alot of his performance had to do with his partners.

Both of those guys are HOF'ers. But to say that was not among the games best is foolish. He was the best dman at the 2010 winter olympics as a 38 year old for christs sake

54 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Chicago won the Toews, Kane & Hossa.  Still had room for Seabrook, Hjalmarsson & Keith on D.

Depends if you have decent ELC players in the bottom 6, bottom pair to make that affordable.

Well. Lets pretend Toews = horvat.. Kane = Boeser and Hossa = Pettersson.

(In terms of Salaries)

That would leave us to pay 2 D-man larger salaries. Perhaps Juolevi and another D-man.

Perhaps another highly paid winger is not the way to go.

That being said. I do believe in BPA and maximizing your pick to get a solid player. But It seems to me the Canucks are in need of Quality D-men.

22 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I stated earlier, the measure on BPA is usually if one guy is un-guardable, the other is.  

I don't lament missing out on Tkachuk's older brother for example.  He's skilled, competitive, clever even with the puck (surprisingly so), effective. But he does not have blinding speed, or jaw dropping puck skills.  A good D can guard Matthew Tkachuk.  I have no problem picking an excellent defensive prospect.   Laine is too fast, too big, too strong, shoots the puck too well.

Brady is closer to a BPA you would have a hard time ignoring.  He's bigger, a better athlete, just as competitive. Borderline and more compelling where you might not pass on him...

this years Tkachuk plays more like his Dad. U think the elder is a dick on the ice ,wait for younger brother. He will be a very good addition to whoever is lucky enough to get him. 

5 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

We have never seen a player like Orr until we saw Erik Karlsson. And your going to say that there are 2 Franchise defining defensemen in this draft? Boquist is good, reminds me of a slighter OEK, but his defensive game is suspect at best.

Svechnikov is not Malkin. Malkin was a PPG at 18 in Russia, Svechnikov is barely a PPG player on a stacked Barrie team. Also Malkin has an edge about his game that Svech doesn't have. Hughes ain't perfect, but in every game I have seen of his this year (About 15) he makes about 5-6 plays that are absolutely staggering, ridiculously clever, or just special. He has that ability to just carry the puck as he pleases and do whatever he wants with it. That is so special

Like I said in my initial post I'd be happy with either Boqvist or Hughes.

25 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I have seen Svech play 25 game live and TV - not just the world juniors. I live in Toronto and got to Barrie games frequently. The kid will be as good as Malkin

I have had the eye test, you look at his points in the world Juniors lol - have a read if you dont believe me

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/10/25/16483054/2018-prospect-profile-andrei-svechnikov

quote " Further, he is so good that there are murmurs and whispers that he could become the best Russian-born forward since Ovechkin/Malkin. At worst, he is probably the best Russian forward we've seen since Tarasenko, Kucherov, Panarin, and Kuznetsov. One thing is for certain: Svechnikov is hands-down, indisputably the best forward in this draft, and a very good consolation prize if you miss out on Rasmus Dahlin. "

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

this years Tkachuk plays more like his Dad. U think the elder is a dick on the ice ,wait for younger brother. He will be a very good addition to whoever is lucky enough to get him. 

I think Matthew has already won more than his dad ever did?  Compelling talent Keith. Selfish player and person.

I personally like Brady as a prospect quite a bit. More than Matthew.  

59 minutes ago, BoeserSnipe said:

I have seen Svech play 25 game live and TV - not just the world juniors. I live in Toronto and got to Barrie games frequently. The kid will be as good as Malkin

I have had the eye test, you look at his points in the world Juniors lol - have a read if you dont believe me

Earlier in the show I asked for your opinion.  Thanks for sharing > I appreciated your response.

I'd trade the second overall pick to NYI for Calgary's first round pick, their own first and a decent prospect. Hoping the Flames continue to suck, which would make their pick in the top 6-10 range and the Islanders' pick in the 10-15 range. Then draft Veleno and Bouchard, with those two picks. 

44 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I'd trade the second overall pick to NYI for Calgary's first round pick, their own first and a decent prospect. Hoping the Flames continue to suck, which would make their pick in the top 6-10 range and the Islanders' pick in the 10-15 range. Then draft Veleno and Bouchard, with those two picks. 

That's certainly interesting, but risky. You never know which players will be available when you pick later.  I guess if there are lots of players you'd be happy with later in the 1st round, it makes it a no brainer.  Looking at the 2017 draft, would you (as Philly) trade Nolan Patrick for (NYR) Andersson and Chytil?  or for (VGK) Glass and Braanstrom?  Patrick is good, but is he so good that you say no? 

Archived