The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Should The Canucks Draft Second Overall

TonyStrecher

5 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Just drooling over the thought of Zadina or Svechnikov paired with Pettersson or Boeser.

me too. I don't mind the idea of stacking up the winger skill on the top 6 one bit. Dahlen, Brock, Svech/Zadina, Goldy has a some serious shot quality to it. 

36 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree with everyone saying we would be best off trading down.  It's early to say but it sure looks like the first few selections are going to be forwards.

Alternatively, trade UP one spot for Dahlin is the other option.  He's surefire gold, so I wouldn't mind packaging our 2nd OA (assuming that's what we get for the sake of argument and the thread title) with a strong forward prospect (we have many) or a roster player who, for us, will be best of displaced by an up and coming prospect.  I'm thinking Granlund maybe.  (I know he's having a crappy season, but he should be at least a 30 point guy in this league).  Maybe even Goldobin if Benning feels he'll never be able to put a solid all-around game together.

So if we won first overall, that's all it would take for you to be willing to give up Dahlin? Yeah, right.

I don't believe in trading down from high numbers. If we get 2nd then I want 2nd or at worst 3rd. I don't want another couple of seasons of recriminations  and garment renting on these boards.

The only exception would be - no more Russians, they are just too fickle for my taste. If it is a hard choice go for the guy who shows pushback - no more softies.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

If we get 2nd overall take boqvist.  Intrigued to get another sniper along with boeser, but boqvist is dhalin lite, controls the play and can bring the play up to the offensive zone so I take Guy.

Ditto.

I have Dahlin as clear #1, then Boqvist and Svech 'tied' for 2/3, followed by Zadina and Tkachuck 'tied" for 3/4. Seeing as Boqvist is just as good (BPA!) as Svech I'd take him as a greater organizational need.

I'd certainly entertain trading down for a Wilde, Dobson etc as well, but that's going to have to be a HELL of an over payment and trading a top 3 (heck, top 5) picks basically never happens. So if people are counting on that in this theoretical situation, they're bound to be disappointed. 

After Dahlin, Tkachuk is a "can't miss" pick. Size, grit, goal scorer with good speed. Everything that the team needs. Boeser and Tkachuk on the same line with Bo or Pettersson.

Can find a good D man in the second and third round. Zadina looked good, but I would go with Tkachuk...it would make the games against Calgary interesting and entertaining.

Brady is better than Matthew...and Matthew is one of the top players on his team in his 1st and 2nd season as a teenager. Plus Keith is a full time mentor and can give guidance...not a bad guy to have in your corner. Hockey pedigree is oozing out of Brady.

Can't make the same mistake twice.

24 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I thought he was sending the stickboy to the circus?

You could be right, I'm pretty sure that Linden said he wouldn't be going there again. 

This may of been in part that he intended to be in a playoff position this year but probably more so that they over dramatize this event. 

10 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

At number 2 you'd take a Rafalski over a Malkin? wow...if you said a guaranteed Duncan Keith or PK Subban ok.....but we have no need for an undersized one way dman especially in the west

If there was truly another Malkin available, he’s not available at 2nd overall unless there’s another ovechkin  available in the same draft again.

i don't know who the bpa is after dahlin.

as for team need, i look and see,

horvat, boeser. pettersson, gaudette, lind, gadjovich, dahlen, virtanen, juolevi, pouliot, tanev, chatfield and demko being the next core. 

lots of need.... 

we might not know, who the bpa is for 5 years. 

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

If we get 2nd overall take boqvist.  Intrigued to get another sniper along with boeser, but boqvist is dhalin lite, controls the play and can bring the play up to the offensive zone so I take Guy.

I don’t trust Button’s opinion much but he said Boqvist is a Karlsson clone. Like, if Boqvist is that, what is Dahlin?

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

"Who Should The Canucks Draft Second Fifth Overall"

FTFY.

In all seriousness, if we don't get Dahlin and we get 2nd, we should trade down for the next best defenseman available, we don't really need to stock up on bonafide forwards too much.

I know we need D, but if we pick second I’d definitely think about taking Tkatchuk. Kids a physical force and has good hands. 

You guys want to end up like Edmonton?  They picked BPA for four years straight and they are no better than when they started even with a generational player.  There's five D prospects in the projected top 10, if Benning doesn't walk away with anyone of those five then he doesn't deserve a new contract.  I can't believe a GM who played in the NHL as a defensemen and has such a highly touted eye for scouting has let this D core get so atrocious.

12 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Always take the BPA - Svechnikov will be a game breaker. It gives you freedom to package other players to either find another pick of get a dman.

We will get Tryamkin back in 2 years, we have Tanev, Juolevi, Stecher, whatever we get for Gud (or Gud) and some good prospect in the AHL

Taking the BPA always gives you the most flexibility as it ups the overall talent level of your team.

I’m a little shy on Russians at the moment. I think I’d rather take Tkatchuk or Hughes. Wouldn’t be upset with Zadina either. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Again agree 100%...

If they are that good its going to cost a kings ransom to sign them, they should get us competitive or be excellent bargaining chips to get, what we need.

You can NEVER have too many great players no matter their positions....

C'mon that's a little silly isn't it. Of course we want great players. Tampa is overflowing with them at the moment and it looks like their doing pretty fine. 

Archived