The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Should The Canucks Draft Second Overall

TonyStrecher

58 minutes ago, Pears said:

I don’t trust Button’s opinion much but he said Boqvist is a Karlsson clone. Like, if Boqvist is that, what is Dahlin?

He gives that title to atleast one defenceman each year. He's building his hype train. 

Howver I am positive that this crop of dmen is the best we've seen in a while. 

2 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

They may be out of playoff contention by then but once Baer and Bo come back they'll start winning again.We aren't getting a top 5 pick as far as i'm concerned.

Ha ha ha good one. I don't know if you've seen many games lately but Bo or Baer aren't world class goalies and they aren't Norris trophy defencemen. I believe our scoring chances will improve but 2 guys won't turn this team around unfortunately. You can see by watching the games that our problem is more deeply seeded. 

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Ha ha ha good one. I don't know if you've seen many games lately but Bo or Baer aren't world class goalies and they aren't Norris trophy defencemen. I believe our scoring chances will improve but 2 guys won't turn this team around unfortunately. You can see by watching the games that our problem is more deeply seeded. 

Yep our goaltending alone has us a lock for top 5

14 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i think they should trade down from the number 2 spot

and acquire more than 1 draft pick in exchange

or a high end d prospect and a reduced draft pick

and pick a top dman from this draft with the reduced draft pick(s)

rather then take an offense player and try to flip that player or another high end prospect for a dman later

dmen are required on this team now

Very intelligent, and it would bode well for us possibly if it works out.  We need defenseman and possibly more centers, and if Dahlin is out already we could likely find the second best after the tenth pick.  I'm also not apposed  to just keeping our pick and drafting the BPA, we can't afford another screw up like JV and OJ.   Picking too far off the board is risky.   If we end up with another top winger there's nothing wrong with that either, then we'd have a killer first line or the option to spread it around like WNP has done playing Laine on the second line.

I'm excited for the upcoming draft, if we can add picks for veterans like Vanek ( Edler please!), than all the better.  Another draft like last year and our pool will be bursting at the seems, and there should be enough there to trade for more defenseman, like we already did with PIT this year.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Again agree 100%...

If they are that good its going to cost a kings ransom to sign them, they should get us competitive or be excellent bargaining chips to get, what we need.

You can NEVER have too many great players no matter their positions....

16 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

C'mon that's a little silly isn't it. Of course we want great players. Tampa is overflowing with them at the moment and it looks like their doing pretty fine. 

I think you either misread my post or I don't understand you answer. Which part is the silly one?

You seem to say the same as me??

We need a defenseman who can run the power play from the back end.  Also, someone with enough grit to stand up for themselves and their teammates.  I agree with staying away from The chuck, as it brings with it the family show.  Time will tell where we land and what is left on the board.

14 hours ago, TonyStrecher said:

Hypothetically if the miraculous happens, the Canucks somehow get sort of lucky in the draft lottery and get the second overall pick, who do you think the Canucks should draft?

Rasmus Dahlin will almost definitely go 1st overall, but the rest of the top ten could really go in almost any order.

In my opinion, the ten best players available would be:

1. Rasmus Dahlin

2. Andrei Svechnikov

3. Filip Zadina

4. Adam Boqvist

5. Quinn Hughes

6. Matthew Tkachuk

7. Ty Smith

8. Isac Lundestrom

9. Ryan Merkley

10. Evan Bouchard

Svechnikov and Zadina are probably the next two best players available after Dahlin, and Tkachuk is also expected to go very near the top of the draft, they are all wingers however, a position where the Canucks are looking pretty good for the future. Boeser, Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich and Lockwood is enough for an entire NHL lineup and they also have guys like Palmu, MacEwen, Carcone, D'Aoust, Jasek and Molino having NHL potential as well. Looking at that I would say that on the wings, the Canucks have the players needed to be a Stanley Cup contender for many years. 

The Canucks also have pretty good depth at center with Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette and in goal with Demko and DiPietro, there aren't really any top centers or goalies at the top of this years draft however, so this doesn't really matter for the sake of this discussion.

The one position left is defense. The Canucks have three decent young d-men currently in the NHL in Stecher, Hutton and Pouliot, all of them have the potential to be good second pairing d-men, but not more than that. Then the Canucks have Olli Juolevi who looks like he could be a solid #2 or #3 d-man if he fulfills his potential. The Canucks also have a number of good defensive prospects in Holm, McEneny, Brisebois, Chatfield, Candella, Brassard and Rathbone, but they all look like they will be second pairing d-men at best. That leaves that Canucks with a big whole on defense, a legitimate #1 defenseman who can also quarterback the power play.

The good news is even if the Canucks don't get lucky and get to select Rasmus Dahlin, there are a lot of very talented d-men at the top end of this years draft. Boqvist, Hughes, Smith, Merkley and Bouchard would be the top group, while Wilde, Woo, Dobson, Miller, McIsaac and Samuelsson should all also go in the first round.

Of those players Boqvist and Hughes are the only two that I would really consider picking 2nd overall over Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk. I think that the best more for the Canucks to make if they have the 2nd overall pick would be to take one of those two. Personally I prefer Hughes slightly after seeing how dominant he looked at the world juniors.They could also consider trading down, but I don't think that would be the best way to go as most of the teams that look like they will be drafting near the top of this years draft need d-men.

Nice list.  This almost exactly what I have as well.  The only change I would make is Boqvist over Zadina.  I only think this as we really need a high end Dman.  Obviously there a many reasons to take Zadina though.  

I  think 3 and 5 are the toughest spots in this draft, as you could really argue Hughes vs Tkachuk as well.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

You guys want to end up like Edmonton?  They picked BPA for four years straight and they are no better than when they started even with a generational player.  There's five D prospects in the projected top 10, if Benning doesn't walk away with anyone of those five then he doesn't deserve a new contract.  I can't believe a GM who played in the NHL as a defensemen and has such a highly touted eye for scouting has let this D core get so atrocious.

Edmonton sucks because their drafting after the first round was atrocious.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have to have multiple picks that you'd be happy with if you do that though, so you have to be willing to miss out on Boqvist in that case. In this draft there seems to be a lot of good choices in the 4-10 range so I also wonder what our bargaining power would be. Some GM would really have to covet that #2 spot. I'd prefer we keep it particularly if Svechnikov is capable of playing in the NHL next season. 

I'm not so much concerned about next season, but I bet that Svechnikov would at least be available to play the following season - which is probably around the time we really want to start pushing as we will then have our current prospects transitioning or already transitioned to the big club.

For the record, I think I'd sooner move down with a target on Zadina.  He too has elite potential but he plays LW and that's where we are lacking someone in the first line slot, and he's also already big enough to play in the NHL. Plus he's not Russian.

Bottom line - I think we would be just fine getting one of Dahlin, Svechnijov, Boqvist or Zadina.  That would allow us to trade down to #4, and another team would overpay to swap to the #2 position, as is usually the case.  Anything past that and unless Benning has something up his sleeve a la Pettersson, I think the pack separates a bit, though guys like Tkachuk and Hughes aren't THAT far behind.  My only problem with these two guys is that Tkachuk looks to be more a 2nd line guy, and Hughes is pretty small and we really don't need more undersized players. Still, you're right - once you get past the top there are a lot of players in the top 5-10 which are basically interchangable - including Dobson and Wilde which could potentially help fill our needs on d.

I still say we pay to get Dahlin.  He would make HUGE strides to bolstering our rather terrible defense.

Unfortunately, it's all for naught as we all know we'll fall in the draft.. probably to around 5th.

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm not so much concerned about next season, but I bet that Svechnikov would at least be available to play the following season - which is probably around the time we really want to start pushing as we will then have our current prospects transitioning or already transitioned to the big club.

For the record, I think I'd sooner move down with a target on Zadina.  He too has elite potential but he plays LW and that's where we are lacking someone in the first line slot, and he's also already big enough to play in the NHL. Plus he's not Russian.

Bottom line - I think we would be just fine getting one of Dahlin, Svechnijov, Boqvist or Zadina.  That would allow us to trade down to #4, and another team would overpay to swap to the #2 position, as is usually the case.  Anything past that and unless Benning has something up his sleeve a la Pettersson, I think the pack separates a bit, though guys like Tkachuk and Hughes aren't THAT far behind.  My only problem with these two guys is that Tkachuk looks to be more a 2nd line guy, and Hughes is pretty small and we really don't need more undersized players. Still, you're right - once you get past the top there are a lot of players in the top 5-10 which are basically interchangable - including Dobson and Wilde which could potentially help fill our needs on d.

I still say we pay to get Dahlin.  He would make HUGE strides to bolstering our rather terrible defense.

Unfortunately, it's all for naught as we all know we'll fall in the draft.. probably to around 5th.

yup I can see all that too. I feel the same way as last year, we're going to get a NHL quality player even out of the top 10. 

If it were possible to trade for the #1 spot sure... but man who in the lotto group would give him up? If Ottawa gets it they can trade EK can begin a rebuild very quickly. Edmonton? forget it.  Maybe if someone climbs 12 spots in the lotto but even then. 

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

No more Russians period. 

Svechnikov came to NA as a 16 year old and rejected top offers from russia's junior clubs to go to the USHL to get adjusted to NA ice and playing kids roughly his age. He made the move to the ohl this year.

Not to mention his older brother is a prospect of detroit and is nearly NHL ready himself.

Hes also expressed that he is learning english and hopes to be in the nhl next year. Dont just assume every russian is the same.

25 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

We need a defenseman who can run the power play from the back end.  Also, someone with enough grit to stand up for themselves and their teammates.  I agree with staying away from The chuck, as it brings with it the family show.  Time will tell where we land and what is left on the board.

If we end up with MTs brother than at least we can laugh at how fat his dad has become when he's at the draft again.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup I can see all that too. I feel the same way as last year, we're going to get a NHL quality player even out of the top 10. 

If it were possible to trade for the #1 spot sure... but man who in the lotto group would give him up? If Ottawa gets it they can trade EK can begin a rebuild very quickly. Edmonton? forget it.  Maybe if someone climbs 12 spots in the lotto but even then. 

Don't see any team giving up on Dahlin.  He is going to be a franchise D.  Even if they already have a D1 - he's still going to be cost controlled for much longer. 

27 minutes ago, kloubek said:

No one is moving dahlin, he’s the McDavid and eichel of d prospects 

Archived