The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Canada unveils men's 2018 Olympic roster

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Hockey Canada unveils men's 2018 Olympic roster

That's actually a FAR better roster than I initially expected them to be able to form.

Can't see many other countries icing significantly better rosters.

As usual, short tournaments like this depends a lot on building chemistry quickly.

Best of luck to Willie and the boys!  

Some notable players that didn't make it:

P.A. Parenteau, Simon Despres, Max Talbot, Teddy Purcell, Nick Spaling, Jay McClement, Matt Ellison, Zach Boychuk, Matt Frattin.

Also, what is going on with Iginla? He was supposed to begin skating some months ago, but didn't make it to the Olympic roster, nor has he announced his retirement.

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

That's actually a FAR better roster than I initially expected them to be able to form.

Can't see many other countries icing significantly better rosters.

As usual, short tournaments like this depends a lot on building chemistry quickly.

Best of luck to Willie and the boys!  

Russia and Sweden perhaps? The SHL and KHL have some solid players.

Far as I can tell, the forwards are all ex-NHLers, but the defense is pretty sparse looking. I think all three goaltenders are ex-NHLers as well, but none are particularly great. It'll be interesting to see how this mish-mash can do against Russia and Sweden.

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Russia and Sweden perhaps? The SHL and KHL have some solid players.

Far as I can tell, the forwards are all ex-NHLers, but the defense is pretty sparse looking. I think all three goaltenders are ex-NHLers as well, but none are particularly great. It'll be interesting to see how this mish-mash can do against Russia and Sweden.

I believe none of those forwards were consistent top-six players in the NHL, same with defencemen - didn't play in the top four. As for the goalies, they are pretty much backup goalies at the NHL level. So you basically a team of third and fourth lines forwards, bottom-six defence, and backup goalies. Add in some 13th/14th forwards or that are considered regular call-ups. But then again, other teams will be icing the same amount of talent at best, but it certainly doesn't add the hype factor of wanting to watch the games.

Is that a  new record for former Canucks making team Canada

6 former Canucks.  Wow.  I can't wait to watch and support our former Canuck stars  ....

FORWARDS

Andrew Ebbett, Vernon, B.C., SC Bern (Swiss National League)
Maxim Lapierre, Brossard, Que., HC Lugano (Swiss National League)
Mason Raymond, Cochrane, Alta., SC Bern (Swiss National League)
Derek Roy, Rockland, Ont., Linkoping HC (Swedish Hockey League)
Linden Vey, Wakaw, Sask., Barys Astana (KHL)
DEFENCE
Marc-Andre Gragnani, L’Ile-Bizard, Que., HC Dinamo Minsk (KHL)

Just now, goalie13 said:

Not entirely.  Only half the Canadian roster is from the KHL.

yah the good half :lol:

honestly though its been long enough and I'd actually like to see Willie end his career with a gold medal. 

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Some notable players that didn't make it:

P.A. Parenteau, Simon Despres, Max Talbot, Teddy Purcell, Nick Spaling, Jay McClement, Matt Ellison, Zach Boychuk, Matt Frattin.

Also, what is going on with Iginla? He was supposed to begin skating some months ago, but didn't make it to the Olympic roster, nor has he announced his retirement.

Yeah, I guess this is probably it for Iginla. I thought he would be the Captain of this team (look at Gionta) but perhaps he is not 100% ready?

Let's try and guess the Captain and Assistant Captain's for this team. Willie D would appoint:

C - Vey

A - Ebbett

A - Raymond

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I believe none of those forwards were consistent top-six players in the NHL, same with defencemen - that didn't play in top four. As for the goalies, they are pretty much backup goalies at the NHL level. So you basically a team of third and fourth lines forwards, bottom-six defence, and backup goalies. Add in some 13th/14th forwards or that are considered regular call-ups. But then again, other teams will be icing the same amount of talent at best, but it certainly doesn't add the hype factor of wanting to watch the games.

Roy was consistent for about 5 years, including 70 and 80 point seasons.

Archived