The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Canada unveils men's 2018 Olympic roster

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is that a  new record for former Canucks making team Canada

6 former Canucks.  Wow. 

And for a bonus Canuck connection, Quniton Howden was the draft pick included in the Bernier / Grabner for Ballard / Oreskovich deal.

22 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Some notable players that didn't make it:

P.A. Parenteau, Simon Despres, Max Talbot, Teddy Purcell, Nick Spaling, Jay McClement, Matt Ellison, Zach Boychuk, Matt Frattin.

Also, what is going on with Iginla? He was supposed to begin skating some months ago, but didn't make it to the Olympic roster, nor has he announced his retirement.

If Calgary cuts ties with Jagr maybe they'll bring Iginla back into the fold for one last hurrah and have him retire a Flame?

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Roy was consistent for about 5 years, including 70 and 80 point seasons.

Well, there's one, but later in his career, especially now, he would probably be a third line player. Another one is Raymond that played on the Canucks second line for many years, but wasn't consistent enough to be regarded as a solid second line player in the NHL.

6 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Yeah, I guess this is probably it for Iginla. I thought he would be the Captain of this team (look at Gionta) but perhaps he is not 100% ready?

Iginla not being on the roster doesn't surprise me at all.

I distinctly remember team Canada senior management expressing the sentiment that if Iginla wasn't playing somewhere at the time they were selecting the roster it would be very difficult for them to include him despite his wealth of experience because in a short tournament like the Olympics it's virtually impossible to bring players along slowly as they get geared up for full game speed - they already need to be in full season game shape or it's not a realistic expectation to step in and be able to contribute. 

At first I was disappointed current  nhlers wouldn’t be there. Wasnt really excited 

Now I’m more on board, how awesome is that for these guys they are going you know they will leave it all out on the ice.I find myself liking it more  and am more excited to see how we do on a far more level playing.im glad they left off any big names. Blue collar hard working team no one player to lean on.

should be a fun tourney 

53 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well, there's one, but later in his career, especially now, he would probably be a third line player. Another one is Raymond that played on the Canucks second line for many years, but wasn't consistent enough to be regarded as a solid second line player in the NHL.

Well yes, but anything more shouldn't be expected. If these guys were good enough to still be 2nd line NHLers, they'd be in the NHL.

At least there's some players with top 6 experience, who I'm guessing will fill Canada's top 6. Perhaps against weaker competition they'll show flashes of their former selves.

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Well yes, but anything more shouldn't be expected. If these guys were good enough to still be 2nd line NHLers, they'd be in the NHL.

At least there's some players with top 6 experience, who I'm guessing will fill Canada's top 6. Perhaps against weaker competition they'll show flashes of their former selves.

That is true. I remember the Gold Medal Game in 2014 being at 4:00 am PT and waking up to watching it. With this roster, it doesn't add that extra excitement, even though I will still be cheering them on. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

DTRqXt1XkAY9PdH.jpg

TBH I really like this team... I'm not a fan of the goalies but what do I know? I haven't been following their careers. 

Gragnani...

Brule (Honorary Canuck who we almost trading Schneider for but we ended up getting Bo instead) 

Ebbett 

Lappy

Mayray

Roy Baby

VEYDAY! 

I'm %100 behind Canada to win. 

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would like to see Willie get the gold, but I can't see it happening with that roster.

willie-desjardins.jpg

It's not a bad roster... it's not like the other teams have NHLers playing. 

Veyday gonna spice it up my man! 

Archived