The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers shopping Anton Slepyshev

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Started reading these forums during the great Nylander-Ehlers-Virtanen debate. Snypers ( sp ? ) was a good read, PimpC was the resident tough guy. You're correct, I don't recall your preferences in 2013. I also had a leaning towards a d for our second pick, especially Theodore, but all my drafting thoughts are from reading what others had to say. I have not seen any of 2018's picks live. I'm still going to be very opinionated at the 2018 draft, but I will never don ol' Cpt Hindsight's goggles to criticize our GM's pick.

If you dig into that Virtanen / Ehlers / Virtanen Snypers thread; you will find I was an advocate for Nylander.  I debated some of the sport science about his fitness. Considering the knock was he was too small? Pre draft I was pointing out the value of his agilty & explosive power. Which bore true at the combines. (It did for Theodore as well by memory.) Not even discussing hockey skills. But people still ragged on that point, size. In the post draft version of discussions I also NEVER criticised the Jake pick. Still liked it.

More often than not, when you have a bigger athlete, who also has god given athletic ability, speed, power? They become a physical match up guys cannot handle. So I endorsed the Virtanen. You will find that in there as well.  But so do guys who have elite agility, and cannot be hit, even have the skills, dexterity to dance the defender was my point with Nylander.

More recently, you will find long posts of mine also not worrying about size or weight with Pettersson. The opposite actually. In June & July, and recently.I picked him in one of my draft pools. Elias, even though light, is also an outstanding athlete.  Best motor of any skilled player in the draft, fantastic VO2, power, endurance. Very fit! Same weight, size, and body style (ectomorph) as Wayne Simmonds & the Twins.  

But I worried out loud about the Shinkaruk pick.  Again you will find it if you look at his threads.  It wasn't just that he was skinny. That on his own does not dissuade me. But that he had baby fat hanging on gimpy arms and shoulders. That is very different than Petterson. Shink was not fit. Worse, a year later, even when he had chances to train with Bo (Bo scored ridiculously well at the combines as well, 214 lb athlete top ten in endurance on the bike weighted by body size), the Twins etc. he still looked gimpy at 19.  

I would generally agree Captain hindsight comments can generally be annoying.  But I believe you were a bit early to the gun making that assumption.

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If you dig into that Virtanen / Ehlers / Virtanen Snypers thread; you will find I was an advocate for Nylander.  I debated some of the sport science about his fitness. Considering the knock was he was too small? Pre draft I was pointing out the value of his agilty & explosive power. Which bore true at the combines. (It did for Theodore as well by memory.) Not even discussing hockey skills. But people still ragged on that point, size. In the post draft version of discussions I also NEVER criticised the Jake pick. Still liked it.

More often than not, when you have a bigger athlete, who also has god given athletic ability, speed, power? They become a physical match up guys cannot handle. So I endorsed the Virtanen. You will find that in there as well.  But so do guys who have elite agility, and cannot be hit, even have the skills, dexterity to dance the defender was my point with Nylander.

More recently, you will find long posts of mine also not worrying about size or weight with Pettersson. The opposite actually. In June & July, and recently.I picked him in one of my draft pools. Elias, even though light, is also an outstanding athlete.  Best motor of any skilled player in the draft, fantastic VO2, power, endurance. Very fit! Same weight, size, and body style (ectomorph) as Wayne Simmonds & the Twins.  

But I worried out loud about the Shinkaruk pick.  Again you will find it if you look at his threads.  It wasn't just that he was skinny. That on his own does not dissuade me. But that he had baby fat hanging on gimpy arms and shoulders. That is very different than Petterson. Shink was not fit. Worse, a year later, even when he had chances to train with Bo (Bo scored ridiculously well at the combines as well, 214 lb athlete top ten in endurance on the bike weighted by body size), the Twins etc. he still looked gimpy at 19.  

I would generally agree Captain hindsight comments can generally be annoying.  But I believe you were a bit early to the gun making that assumption.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

:lol:

yah he's a 1/2 pt per game guy in Stockton.... not sure he's going to make any NHL team at this point. 

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Interestingly enough, if we did put on our hindsight goggles on for a moment, it doesn't seem like we would have scored much better had we taken a defender back then. Shea Theodore's been more in and out of lineups. There might be a couple of defenders just starting to get into the league after that, but that looks up in the air.

Quickly skimming the forwards, Dano and Hartman would have been better picks, but I've always generally gone with the argument that the same player on a different team could yield a different result, so who knows. lol

On 11/01/2018 at 8:59 PM, Crabcakes said:

So, Anton Slepyshev, the 23 year old, 2013 3rd rounder by Edmonton is running out of rope on his entry level contract.  Give up an asset for this veteran of 70 NHL games (5-9-14)?  You've got to be kidding!

The Canucks are having time enough with Goldobin who is still showing signs of morphing into an NHL player (6-3-9 in 36 games).  I say, not even as a waiver pick up.  Let him have a nice career in the KHL

Id suggest Goldobin is on schedule and looks to be a player who can contribute. That said I also see Slepyshev as a good pickup if anyone wants to try snagging him before waivers.

He is a hard working forward with speed size and skill. Many thought ( had training camp and early season injuries not derailed him ) coukd play up and down the lineup even eventually in top six.

Coach grew frustrated with ongoing injuries and opportunity was given to others. No reason he can't at worst be a 3rd/4th line player with some offense.

8 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Id suggest Goldobin is on schedule and looks to be a player who can contribute. That said I also see Slepyshev as a good pickup if anyone wants to try snagging him before waivers.

He is a hard working forward with speed size and skill. Many thought ( had training camp and early season injuries not derailed him ) coukd play up and down the lineup even eventually in top six.

Coach grew frustrated with ongoing injuries and opportunity was given to others. No reason he can't at worst be a 3rd/4th line player with some offense.

Trade Goldy for him. 

21 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Agree about your comments about Pettersson.  I'm really not worried about his size.  There are several examples of players his size being very successful.  The Sedins for example (because Canuck fans see lots of them) regularly pick themselves up off the ice but they don't play an un-physical game and they win more than their share of puck battles because they are so smart with their body position.  Simmonds I think is the poster boy for this body type because he plays a physical game in the dirty areas and doesn't get shoved around by anybody yet he weighs in at only 185.  I think that core training goes a long way towards players being able to maintain their balance in the tough going.

I'd add that when building a team, they will be able to pair a guy like Pettersson with Virtanen who's physical play and speed can create space for the play maker.

I'm really liking Virtanen's speed as he's learning how to use it this year both with and without the puck.  I'm loving him on the back check as he is regularly surprising players with take aways.

dont think this guy has much value. if the canucks were to consider him worth acquiring I would offer Gaunce thats about it.

Gaunce for Slep or Caggiula?

Dowd albeit a FA, seems to have big trust with the coach, can only have so many of the same bottom 6 forwards. Gaunce is a few years younger though. Best to get Dowd signed to a cheap deal like Gaunce and keep both for the 4th line.

Slep isnt someone we should be looking to get. We arent even giving Goldobin proper ice time

Archived