The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team's lack of confidence directly tied to loss of leadership from Horvat

*Buzzsaw*

45 minutes ago, apollo said:

This exactly. 

The next step has been taken though... Bo and Brock are the leaders... we just got terrible luck with injuries this year. 

There's no harm in the Sedin's re-signing next year at a home town discount... something like 1 year 1-2 million each and playing limited roles on the 3rd line. Heck you can even try the Sutter and twins experiment again too. That would be a beauty 3rd line for under 10 mill cap if they sign according to what I said.

Careful apollo, some posters get pretty ornery when you suggest offering the Sedins $1-2M a year. I think it makes perfect sense though.

I've always thought that Bo would be the next captain.  But there's something about the Flow that screams "captain".

The way he speaks, the way teammates speak about him. His professionalism. The way he has that "been there done that" professionalism on the ice. The way he handles pressure. The way he stared down the best goalie on the planet...and won...while making it look like just another day at the office.

He has everything Bo has...with one important difference.  He can score. And while that isn't the be all end all when picking a captain, it's  how he can get the team excited when he does stuff that as a 20-year old can't normally do.

I'm not picking him over Bo necessarily, but I could see The Flow being an option for captain.

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Changing of the guard has happened though... The respect between Bo and Hank is unbreakable. 

Everyone is aware of their roles. Bo knows he's future captain... he may end up wearing the C even longer than Henrik. There's absolutely 0 reason the Sedin's shouldn't re-sign short term deals. 

I still see a divide and "inconsistency" rear its ugly head again since Bo's injury. To me, this is driven by the leadership and the team had a very consistent compete level prior to Bo's injury. Hank and Dan seem to play OK with Edler and Ericksson and not so much with anyone else. Watch who they pass it to more times then not and you will see what I mean. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It does speak for itself on the surface but still not the entire picture. Horvat, and the decimation of our top line and 1D to injuries contribute big time. Those injuries put more pressure on Markstrom/Nilsson, too. 

But I agree, Horvat is the clear leader of the team similar to Linden's leadership. 

I also believe all of these injuries has forced Boeser to raise his game even higher and shoulder more responsibility than he would have with a healthy team. As a result of his play, and carrying the team through injuries, Boeser emerges as a leader in his rookie season. Right now Boeser is a leader beyond his years as a result of injuries.

So, Horvat's injury actually has a silver lining that will pay off down the road through a much more mature Boeser.

Boeser has raised his game... but his production has still dropped.

He'd be scoring more goals and putting up more points with Horvat and Baertschi on his wings.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Careful apollo, some posters get pretty ornery when you suggest offering the Sedins $1-2M a year. I think it makes perfect sense though.

Honestly I'd be shocked if they ask for more. We could add bonuses if they chose 1 mill to possibly even make it 2.5 million each? 

It's not about the money... they have money.

It's not about the respect... they have more respect earned than anyone. 

It's only about them coming out and publicly saying they'll end their careers here and only want to win here. If they truly want that, a hometown discount on an extension is a no brainer. Gives the team the cap space to build around them and hopefully win the cup in 2018/2019 

Jim needs to let me have a talk with them and JT.

Re-sign Sedins both 1 year 1 mill + plenty of bonuses... 

Convince Tavares to sign 10 mill or something

Boom...

Something - Tavares - Something

Sven - Bo - Brock 

Sedin - Sutter - Sedin 

Cup. Real simple. 

Somethings could be jake, elias, w.e 

Some young guys developing too...

Put the C on Horvat

Everyone on this forum and everyone on the club already know that Horvat is the straw that stirs the drink.

Give him the C and lets get this club climbing towards an eventual playoff birth  and a future cup. 

56 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is why this should be the Sedins last year. Love these guys but the next step has to be taken for the team to advance to the next level. There are a number of teams who have committed their Cap space to their big name players and the money can only go around to so many players. I am sure a player will come available within the next two-three years which will be an impact player in which his team will no longer be able to afford him. I am sure teams like Chicago will develop some real good youngsters who they cannot afford because their big boys are taking the lions share of the cap space. I am sure 14 million will go a long way in signing an impact player and also paying up for Boeser which is coming very soon too. 

Another thing to note is that we survived all of the previous injuries this year and it wasn't until Bo went down that the team suddenly looked like a very different team. 

I don't think this HAS to be the Sedins last year. I could see them coming back for a mentorship role again next year.

Realistically they won't be taking away spots from players that are ready or should be playing. Juolevi and Gaudette are really the only prospects that are NHL ready. Obviously the Sedins don't take a spot from Juolevi and we don't have much depth at center. Horvat and Sutter are really the only players that are holding down perminant spots at center. Gaudette can still play a solid role with H. Sedin in the lineup.

The rest of the guys, E.P, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich are long shots to make the team and shouldn't be on the team unless the force their way on with their play vs making the team due to open roster spots. 

I like the way Benning has organized the roster so prospects are put in situations to succeed vs being over their heads before they are ready. Having the Sedins back for one more year to let guys like E.P, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich to simmer and develop a bit longer is much better for the long run. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Honestly I'd be shocked if they ask for more. We could add bonuses if they chose 1 mill to possibly even make it 2.5 million each? 

It's only about them coming out and publicly saying they'll end their careers here and only want to win here. If they truly want that, a hometown discount on an extension is a no brainer. Gives the team the cap space to build around them and hopefully win the cup in 2018/2019 

They already took a discount, twice.

Speaking of bonuses, Boeser's could put the team in cap trouble this year if he gets them all and that would reduce the cap for the team next year.

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Just don't envision Hank and Danny back next year  playing on our third line......  why ?

Great career and lets send them off properly after this year....    or at the TDL >>>>>>>

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Put the C on Horvat

Everyone on this forum and everyone on the club already know that Horvat is the straw that stirs the drink.

Give him the C and lets get this club climbing towards an eventual playoff birth  and a future cup. 

What's the point? Why ruffle the system... he can do it without the C. 

It's a sign of respect to leave it with Henrik until he retires.

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I like the way Benning has organized the roster so prospects are put in situations to succeed vs being over their heads before they are ready. Having the Sedins back for one more year to let guys like E.P, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich to simmer and develop a bit longer is much better for the long run. 

Too bad the team isn't succeeding.:lol:

Just now, apollo said:

What's the point? Why ruffle the system... he can do it without the C. 

It's a sign of respect to leave it with Henrik until he retires.

Imagine the power for the team to see the  C handed down  in the room.....    

That would be intense.     

Horvat deserves it. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

I agree, there has to be so many concessions made for them there is no way they make any more then that. No PK, no DZone starts, no 3 on 3, no shoot outs and probably no #1PP next year they will be probably relegated to limited third line minutes. That and if they really want the team to win they will play at a discount so that a better team can be built around them. We will see.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Imagine the power for the team to see the  C handed down  in the room.....    

That would be intense.     

Horvat deserves it. 

Bo is 22 years old... Henrik received Captaincy at 29. 

I see absolutely no harm giving it to Bo when he's 24-26 instead. It's not gonna affect anything. 

After having a 112 point season and winning league MVP

For those who say Horvat is not that important...  they are right in saying Horvat is not a generational player.

But he is the glue that holds this team together and makes it work... similar to Bob Gainey with Montreal or Jonathan Toews with Chicago.

He's the guy who shows it every shift and who can elevate his play at times in a way that inspires his team.

15 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Boeser has raised his game... but his production has still dropped.

He'd be scoring more goals and putting up more points with Horvat and Baertschi on his wings.

Yeah, but would he be gaining what he's gaining through these injuries if it weren't for the injuries? 

When I said "raised his game", I wasn't talking production. I was talking more about the weight of responsibility, being forced into a more mature role. This tests his character and talent at the same time. Since it's happening early on in his career, all of this is raising his ceiling as a leader much quicker. He's becoming much more experienced in an accelerated manner. 

i agree, it is not a lack of leadership but a lack of talent that has us losing most games. other than the sedins and boeser, they is little top end talent. even with everyone back they are lacking. they showed that with maximun push and lights out goaltending that they can win some games. we are still 2 years away from our new core taking over. tough times till then.

Archived