The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Deadline Day, Who Runs The Show?

TheGuardian_

It might be a wee bit early but TDL is coming up.

Benning is still without a new contract should he be in charge or the rest of the management team?

The team is not in a playoff spot right now, if they win 4 in a row do they stay sellers?

The team is capped out and becoming in more cap trouble due to bonuses.

The team has several UFA's.

So what do the Nucks do, if it is selling, then should they wait until the last minute?

Should they start offering up players now with hopes of getting an auction going or being able to create complex deals?

Do they sit back and wait for offers or become proactive and identify and target players they want?

Sure it is still over a month until TDL but some teams start earlier others have to wait for cap space to develop.

So far in past years it appears that they just waited for offers and then tried deals, APPEARS that way.

Hopefully Benning has the greenlight to be proactive in selling this time around. With his contract status up in the air, he should be given the chance to pull the trigger at the deadline. I really don't think it would be fair to cut him loose if ownership is going to get overly involved in what could be his last kick at the can.

Benning will be in charge and looking towards the future to make this team better. He will sell what is most appropriate for the right deal, sign likewise, and in all do what's best for the team. He will do this regardless if he is signed yet or not because that's his job and he has the green light to do so. 

If the ownership finds the right deal in the near future to sell the Nucks, Benning will either be signed by the new owner(s) or decide to sign elsewhere on his own volition.

The only way, imo, Benning buys is if he has a deal that is too good to give up, but I fully expect him to be selling as best he can for the future. 

Edit: I'm not going to should all over management. 

They've already made it known who's on the block if the price is right. 

We're not "capped out" starting next season.

By all accounts Jim is always looking to improve the team, no reason to think thats any different now.

You have to wait and see what the market is for your players, you can't artificially drive up the price of a guy from your side only. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

If the ownership finds the right deal in the near future to sell the Nucks, Benning will either be signed by the new owner(s) or decide to sign elsewhere on his own volition.

The team is not being sold, it took them almost 8 years to get ownership.

Who is going to come up with a over a billion dollars Canadian? 

Why would he sell it and to who?

I don't think Benning will be fired, I just think "the club is going in a new direction", but even if not how much say would he have?  

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

They've already made it known who's on the block if the price is right. 

We're not "capped out" starting next season.

By all accounts Jim is always looking to improve the team, no reason to think thats any different now.

You have to wait and see what the market is for your players, you can't artificially drive up the price of a guy from your side only. 

The capped out has to do with making deals this year, the team can't take back any bad contracts to enhance deals.

And Boeser hitting his bonuses has decreased cap space.

15 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The team is not being sold, it took them almost 8 years to get ownership.

Who is going to come up with a over a billion dollars Canadian? 

Why would he sell it and to who?

I don't think Benning will be fired, I just think "the club is going in a new direction", but even if not how much say would he have?  

PM'd you. 

24 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Benning will be in charge and looking towards the future to make this team better. He will sell what is most appropriate for the right deal, sign likewise, and in all do what's best for the team. He will do this regardless if he is signed yet or not because that's his job and he has the green light to do so. 

The only way, imo, Benning buys is if he has a deal that is too good to give up, but I fully expect him to be selling as best he can for the future. 

Edit: I'm not going to should all over management. 

Can't imagine the team getting sold at a low point like now, Aquallini is not rich from moves like that!

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It might be a wee bit early but TDL is coming up.

Benning is still without a new contract should he be in charge or the rest of the management team?

The team is not in a playoff spot right now, if they win 4 in a row do they stay sellers?

The team is capped out and becoming in more cap trouble due to bonuses.

The team has several UFA's.

So what do the Nucks do, if it is selling, then should they wait until the last minute?

Should they start offering up players now with hopes of getting an auction going or being able to create complex deals?

Do they sit back and wait for offers or become proactive and identify and target players they want?

Sure it is still over a month until TDL but some teams start earlier others have to wait for cap space to develop.

So far in past years it appears that they just waited for offers and then tried deals, APPEARS that way.

More speculative drama.   Well done!

You ask who runs it?  Try the other GMs in the leagues as you cannot make a trade if it isn’t there.   I always enjoy the armchair GMs who insist their GM didn’t do something when they have not a clue what was tried and what simply could not be done.   If anyone thinks that all efforts to improve any given team in line with their current plans are not attempted, then give your head a shake.   The invented drama is just that.

Sounds like there is no rift between management and ownership. So I can't imagine Benning will have his hands tied come the trade deadline. Ownership seems confident they'll get a deal done for Benning. 

Cap won't be a problem. I imagine at the deadline we'll either do nothing or move out cap. We don't really have any really interesting pieces this year. Gagner isn't playing well enough to bring Hansen/Burrows value in any deal. Vanek is on a 1 year deal with playoff no-show label so he's worth a 3rd at the very most. Sedins are going no where. Baer, Brock, Bo, Jake, Goldy, Granny I imagine management wants to keep. We need Sutter honestly, shame he has had such bad injury woes here. Eriksson is, well Eriksson. Nothin' can be done there.

Hutton is a 3rd pairing d-man at best with no post season experience and very little overall experience to his name so his value is probably low too. Gudbranson is only being moved if management feels there is no deal to be done, other teams will know that. We have very little bargaining power there. Edler may or may not waive, he has 2 years left on a deal, Playoff experience, and if deployed with the right partner can be effective enough. So that's hard to say. Tanev is beaten up in a bad way. Guy can't stay healthy for more than 50-60 games, and that's our best bargaining chip. Lol. He might get us a B prospect and a late 1st. MDZ is an interesting piece, maybe get a 2nd and a throwaway prospect/player for him. Stecher I like, he's like a better Biega. Has that warrior spirit about him.

In my worthless opinion I think we should only really consider moving Edler, if at all possible. Tanev if someone offers up a B prospect and a 1st at the very least otherwise I'd say keep him. If someone calls about MDZ/Hutton (although I kinda doubt someone offers a second rounder for Hutton) and offers up a 2nd or more I am down for that. Otherwise the value we'd get from other moves we could make isn't really worth it. Gagner's 3mil isn't really that big of a deal since the Sedins should see a sharp drop in the 7mil dollar contracts when/if the get re-signed.

40 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The capped out has to do with making deals this year, the team can't take back any bad contracts to enhance deals.

And Boeser hitting his bonuses has decreased cap space.

who's 'bad contract' were you thinking of specifically? no way should this team be taking on multi-year anchor contracts and no one's going to give us a high pick if their bad contract is UFA next season. 

My guess is Jim is happy to pay the potential overage if Boeser keeps getting bonus money. 

Our best chance at improving with trades this year is getting a solid prospect back for Guddy (who i'd prefer to keep but seems like thats not going to be the case) and maybe a 3rd rounder for Vanek but I'd rather see Vanek Bo and Boeser stay together if thats all the return will be. 

Its done by committee.

lots  of accolades   being put on Judd brackett for his drafting 2017 which some are calling Vancouver’s best draft in decades so I’m sure he’ll have solid Input. 

Contract/cap hits and limits so that guy.

President to make recommendations between owners and managment.

Benning to find and sell why he believes that trade is good to owners and everyone else.

Have you seen those TDL vids the table is huge lots of people involved nowadays.

Archived