The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Deadline Day, Who Runs The Show?

TheGuardian_

53 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

A whooping 425k there.

That's only the schedule A bonuses (max 850K) but he probably also has schedule B bonuses.  The league wide bonuses don't count against the cap but teams can enhance them through schedule B bonuses and those would count against the cap.  Panarin hit all his targets - 2.575M (850K + 1.725M) and Chicago had to carry most of it over the following season.  Boeser could end up top-10 in goals league wide - that is possibly a schedule B bonus as well as being a Calder finalist.

An interesting aspect is the number of people involved in making final call/decisions. In theory, the greater number of people with input, would slow the process down.

Safer, but likely less agile, & perhaps incapable of making quick decisions.

If this is the case, they'd best get their most important work completed(however one defines that) well before the deadline.

10 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It might be a wee bit early but TDL is coming up.

Benning is still without a new contract should he be in charge or the rest of the management team?

The team is not in a playoff spot right now, if they win 4 in a row do they stay sellers?

The team is capped out and becoming in more cap trouble due to bonuses.

The team has several UFA's.

So what do the Nucks do, if it is selling, then should they wait until the last minute?

Should they start offering up players now with hopes of getting an auction going or being able to create complex deals?

Do they sit back and wait for offers or become proactive and identify and target players they want?

Sure it is still over a month until TDL but some teams start earlier others have to wait for cap space to develop.

So far in past years it appears that they just waited for offers and then tried deals, APPEARS that way.

I think the gang is being a little hard on you on this one Guardian

I gave you a plus, because not everyone will know their counter points to your questions, and your post will draw some good answers out

It is the start of the dialogue.......................

To answer one of your questions.............Benning did very well at last years draft.................I doubt Aqualini will ignore that

My take is Aquaman took awhile to catch up to what Linden, Benning and the rest of the league has been saying......we need a rebuild

So, if that is the case and Aqualini agreed.....then he is in, and Benning will be given a new contract (3 year contract....my bet)

The UFA signings were because the signings were decent, and probably all Benning could get or want to pay

I think that the UFA's were too

Vanek.............signed to trade

MDZ................signed so that he could possibly move Edler and probably wasn't sure about anyone else

Gagner............looked pretty good last year...........insurance on the Sedin's, past this year

Nillsson...........Demko wasn't ready

Burm...............Just worth a look see

All on short/mid cost controlled contracts.................no risk really............and lots more UFA's like that, if they don't work out

Trust Joe............................."in Benning he trusts!"

Like I said earlier.............I think your post is fine.............

Just remember! The first guy to say the world wasn't flat, they thought was crazy!

20 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sounds like there is no rift between management and ownership. So I can't imagine Benning will have his hands tied come the trade deadline. Ownership seems confident they'll get a deal done for Benning. 

Cap won't be a problem. I imagine at the deadline we'll either do nothing or move out cap. We don't really have any really interesting pieces this year. Gagner isn't playing well enough to bring Hansen/Burrows value in any deal. Vanek is on a 1 year deal with playoff no-show label so he's worth a 3rd at the very most. Sedins are going no where. Baer, Brock, Bo, Jake, Goldy, Granny I imagine management wants to keep. We need Sutter honestly, shame he has had such bad injury woes here. Eriksson is, well Eriksson. Nothin' can be done there.

Hutton is a 3rd pairing d-man at best with no post season experience and very little overall experience to his name so his value is probably low too. Gudbranson is only being moved if management feels there is no deal to be done, other teams will know that. We have very little bargaining power there. Edler may or may not waive, he has 2 years left on a deal, Playoff experience, and if deployed with the right partner can be effective enough. So that's hard to say. Tanev is beaten up in a bad way. Guy can't stay healthy for more than 50-60 games, and that's our best bargaining chip. Lol. He might get us a B prospect and a late 1st. MDZ is an interesting piece, maybe get a 2nd and a throwaway prospect/player for him. Stecher I like, he's like a better Biega. Has that warrior spirit about him.

In my worthless opinion I think we should only really consider moving Edler, if at all possible. Tanev if someone offers up a B prospect and a 1st at the very least otherwise I'd say keep him. If someone calls about MDZ/Hutton (although I kinda doubt someone offers a second rounder for Hutton) and offers up a 2nd or more I am down for that. Otherwise the value we'd get from other moves we could make isn't really worth it. Gagner's 3mil isn't really that big of a deal since the Sedins should see a sharp drop in the 7mil dollar contracts when/if the get re-signed.

It sucks when you should be sellers but when you honestly look at it we don't have much to sell or what you can the player is in the driver seat with NTC/NMC etc...same as the last few years.   Burrows and Hansen were the low hanging fruit, Bear and Granlund if he can ever figure out how to turn some of those daily chances into goals might provide a similar return, the rest is later picks.  Elder....well MAYBE you can compare what TO got for Phanuef, but probably not and again he has to agree which so far he has not, he seems content to earn his paycheck on a losing team.  Sure there is a chance we can get something and someone on a deal, but other teams have much more valuable or at least interesting assets available so the idea that Benning is going to just wait until the last minute and sees what comes his way is just speculation.  I'm sure he's already started, but other teams have us as option e,f and g.

7 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Hopefully Benning gets canned soon. Aside from a couple picks here and there, he's assembling the softest team in the NHL. It's embarrassing gets our faces punched in every time we play our  western opponents 

1970's called, they want their platform boots, and cooperalls back.....

Archived