The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks reassign Nikolay Goldobin to Comets

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm really not sure how to take it tbh, about a week ago he was one of the better players in some games especially playing with the Sedins he stood out back checked, controlled the puck strong made nice passes but still was in the doghouse and I couldn't understand it tbh. He isn't no Bure lol so he isn't going to stand out like a superstar which lots of people expect and that's not fair, people's expectations are way to high and don't properly evaluate him. Imo it's pretty sad when a 6M player(Eriksson) has 3 points in last 10 games and a 860K player(Goldy) has 2 points in 10 games at half the minutes that Eriksson gets and Goldy is the one who needs to improve? I was under the impression this team was on a rebuild? Or am I wrong and we're playing to win the cup? 

We over committed in term and $ for Eriksson. We were hoping he would thrive with the twins and be a 60 pt guy here. Not close to the case. I cant see why Eriksson couldnt improve his numbers if he played with Horvat and Boeser though.

We are stuck with Eriksson, no points like you said vs Goldobin but relied upon defensively. Plus if we sat him oh the mayhem that would ensue...

He shouldn't need more AHL time, honestly. He's 22 and has already dominated that league. He needs to step up the effort level for the NHL or else he's just never gonna make it. If he played with Hansen or Burrows' effort level, he'd already be an NHL player. He needs to focus on the little things as well, not just focus on goal scoring.

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

We over committed in term and $ for Eriksson. We were hoping he would thrive with the twins and be a 60 pt guy here. Not close to the case. I cant see why Eriksson couldnt improve his numbers if he played with Horvat and Boeser though.

We are stuck with Eriksson, no points like you said vs Goldobin but relied upon defensively. Plus if we sat him oh the mayhem that would ensue...

While we're at it too we couldn't waive Ericksson down to Utica. He can kill all their PP's.

27 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm really not sure how to take it tbh, about a week ago he was one of the better players in some games especially playing with the Sedins he stood out back checked, controlled the puck strong made nice passes but still was in the doghouse and I couldn't understand it tbh. He isn't no Bure lol so he isn't going to stand out like a superstar which lots of people expect and that's not fair, people's expectations are way to high and don't properly evaluate him. Imo it's pretty sad when a 6M player(Eriksson) has 3 points in last 10 games and a 860K player(Goldy) has 2 points in 10 games at half the minutes that Eriksson gets and Goldy is the one who needs to improve? I was under the impression this team was on a rebuild? Or am I wrong and we're playing to win the cup? 

Eriksson has received votes for the Selke trophy in the past.  Green is trying to make Goldy into a better hockey player at both ends of the ice but it won't work if Goldy is unwilling to put in the effort.  The problem isn't his play in the offensive zone, the problem is that you could go for a beer and get back to your seat in the time it takes him to skate back to the defensive zone.  The longer you wait to coach that out of him, the harder it will be.

There should be an all-encompassing rule, whereby we can no longer compare various skater's progress(& their compensation) vs the exploits of LE.

Unless we can claim he's contracted some bizarre allergy to dressin' rooms, cameras or ice? No longer see the point of this depressing, recurring theme. Let's think of the lil' chillun'.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or maybe they will just stay in the KHL all their career? We don't know maybe they'd both be happier and more comfortable there? 

Not everyone want's to play in the NHL. Whatever happens, happens. 

Yeah I meant it as a joke. I couldn't care less if they never suit up for us in the NHL. Pettersson Dahlen Jake, Baer Bo Boeser. We are set as far as I am concerned :bigblush:

A Bottom of the league team, plagued by injuries, a team practically begging its young players to step up and show what they can do. All this and goldobin still can't stick with the big club because he can't motivate himself to put the nhl level effort in to match his skill. Hopefully this is a reality check for him.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Regardless of the money issue, Ericksson is simply a much better all round player than Goldy.  Goldy needs to work harder and be stronger on the puck.  He isn't capable of playing a bottom six role whereas Ericksson can play anywhere in the lineup including PP and PK.  Did we overpay Ericksson - yes (only based on his performance to date) but he would have got about the same from all the other suitors when he was a UFA (he was in the top six of all the UFAs that year) see the following link:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-30-unrestricted-free-agents-of-2016

At least we didn't give up any assets like draft picks or players. I still think Ericksson will start putting up more points.  Ericksson has too much skill for us to throw him to the curb.  I'm not sure whether Goldy will be able to hold down an NHL job but I hope I'm wrong and he can stick with the Canucks.

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

So when can we expect he's going to the khl xD

KHL is no better than the AHL for level of play. Linden Vey is third in the league in scoring, earning more than a point a game and averaging over 20 mins per game. Phillip Larson leads all KHL Dmen in scoring, and Tryamkin leads in penalty minutes. Tryamkin looks bloated in his photo, haven't seen him play any KHL games but I wonder if he hasn't gained all that weight back and his penalty minutes are hooking and holding thanks to being a step slow.

3 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

He won't grow anymore in the AHL... he needs to get NHL playing time to better his game... 

If they don't see him as part of the young core in the future just move him in a package with Gudbranson..

It takes a while for some young players to clue in, especially if they're hard headed. Goldie needs to add some more muscle, probably another 10 or 15 pounds, I didn't see him win one puck battle in this stint. Part of that is compete but part is strength. Baer, Granny, and Brock aren't much bigger, but their compete level is much higher.

39 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

So no young guys, sign more vets? Maybe Canucks re-sign Hansen?

Goldobin got lots of chances with offensive players.  It was his own choice not to put in the effort.  How do you get Jake to continue his improvement in this area while letting Goldobin float out there.  Maybe this will be the wakeup call he needed.

15 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Although he didnt play much I thought he had a decent game against CBJ.  Looked like he was trying to back check well and battle along the boards.  He got crunched pretty good and thought that might get him into the game. 

Look at his first couple of shifts in the third period and tell me he was backchecking.

10 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

KHL is no better than the AHL for level of play. Linden Vey is third in the league in scoring, earning more than a point a game and averaging over 20 mins per game. Phillip Larson leads all KHL Dmen in scoring, and Tryamkin leads in penalty minutes. Tryamkin looks bloated in his photo, haven't seen him play any KHL games but I wonder if he hasn't gained all that weight back and his penalty minutes are hooking and holding thanks to being a step slow.

He'll make more money and be closer to home though.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Goldobin got lots of chances with offensive players.  It was his own choice not to put in the effort.  How do you get Jake to continue his improvement in this area while letting Goldobin float out there.  Maybe this will be the wakeup call he needed.

Look at his first couple of shifts in the third period and tell me he was backchecking.

He'll make more money and be closer to home though.

Yes, but further away from the NHL.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Eriksson has received votes for the Selke trophy in the past.  Green is trying to make Goldy into a better hockey player at both ends of the ice but it won't work if Goldy is unwilling to put in the effort.  The problem isn't his play in the offensive zone, the problem is that you could go for a beer and get back to your seat in the time it takes him to skate back to the defensive zone.  The longer you wait to coach that out of him, the harder it will be.

Well said!  Look at how ovechkins game was revived when he decided to actually backcheck rather than pulling a Statue of Liberty through the neutral zone.  It never hurts any pro to learn to play without the puck

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

stop what?

Do have anything remotely counter argumentative to say?

What is it that makes him so valuable other than some scoring success in the AHL?  Cause there are bushels full of players that can lead that league in scoring but never crack a full time NHL lineup.

This kid cant even get ahead of Brendan flippin Gaunce for Fack sakes...  And its not like Goldy is still a teenager.  

Goldobin = Schroeder = Boucher = Shinkaruk

Patience. 

I watched him quite closely in the game against the Blue Jackets.  He made some early weak play, was sat a fair bit in the 2nd, but then put in a very good effort at both ends of the ice in the third.  I think he's quite close to where he needs to be, but some big minutes in the AHL won't do him any harm.  I'd have him high on my list for a call up in the future.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I may have missed his first couple of shifts, but most of the play I saw from him in the third he backchecked very well.  He used his speed to be the first forward back in the d zone, picked up any open man and used an active stick to break up plays.  I think he's getting the idea of what is expected of him, and he just needs to work on his consistency now.

Archived