The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waiver] JT Brown (tampa)

86Viking

I probably wouldn’t put in a claim.  Even if Vanek gets moved, we may need to take a player back for salary purposes.

Having said that, if we do trade guys out (especially Gudbranson), we may need to bring in a couple tougher veterans for the remainder of the year to keep the kids safe during the inevitable blow outs.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Vanek - Sutter - Eriksson

Gaunce - Dowd - Brown/Gagner

I would be looking to trade Gagner when Horvat returns which will likely be the end of January or early February. But then again, I really don't see this team being fully healthy. Claiming him makes too much sense.

So sit or send Virtanen to Utica, or trade Vanek also?

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

I would love it if we could move Gagner, but I have suggested that and people seem to think that would look bad after just signing him, plus 2 more years @3.15m is that something a team wants to take on?

I would move out Gagner and Vanek for sure this deadline if we could. Retaining some salary to try and move Eriksson at some point would be nice also. Not providing the offense we need from him with his salary. But this is very unlikely to happen

There is no way you wouldn't move Gagner and Vanek this trade deadline - get whatever you can (second round pick, third round pick). 

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

So sit or send Virtanen to Utica, or trade Vanek also?

Fixed it, Virtanen would still be on the roster.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There is no way you wouldn't move Gagner and Vanek this trade deadline - get whatever you can (second round pick, third round pick). 

Fixed it, Virtanen would still be on the roster.

Oh heck yes to lose Gagners 3.15m cap hit I would take a mid round pick, other than Vanek and maybe MDZ the other FA signings havent worked out.

Who could use gagner? For some reason, I dont know why but I could see him doing well in Pittsburgh, not as a C necessarily, but his deal and cap hit would be an issue for them I think.

I would be very happy to move Gagner

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Virtanen - Sutter - Eriksson

Gaunce - Dowd - Brown

I would be looking to trade Gagner when Horvat returns which will likely be the end of January or early February. But then again, I really don't see this team being fully healthy. Claiming him makes too much sense.

I removed 2 players from your roster, I like those lines especially the top 9. That line up will win some games and make us draft higher than 3rd overall though. In my opinion

That could also depend on what gets done with our Defence too. 

Since you are always level headed Vintage, would you trade Tanev if you got a good return to help this team going forward, or would you keep him, and in 2 years when he is a pending FA we might be pushing for a playoff spot?

6 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I removed 2 players from your roster, I like those lines especially the top 9. That line up will win some games and make us draft higher than 3rd overall though. In my opinion

That could also depend on what gets done with our Defence too. 

Since you are always level headed Vintage, would you trade Tanev if you got a good return to help this team going forward, or would you keep him, and in 2 years when he is a pending FA we might be pushing for a playoff spot?

Moving Tanev depends on Gudbranson's situation as well. If Gudbranson re-signs, then I would be looking to trade Tanev IF the return value is in our favour. I do have a feeling some teams would be willing to pay the price, as Tanev could be the missing piece to their puzzle.

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Moving Tanev depends on Gudbranson's situation as well. If Gudbranson re-signs, then I would be looking to trade Tanev IF the return value is in our favour. I do have a feeling some teams would be willing to pay the price, as Tanev could be the missing piece to their puzzle.

Oh I totally agree. I ve seen posted that Gudbranson turned down 4mx4yrs i think from Florida. Sounds like we have had 0 contact with his agent, not sure why. I would be happy to have him around for 4-5yr @ 4.25m max cap hit.

Tanev is exactly what some teams could use. Imagine him on a pair with Hedman!! Tampa has loads of prospects and all their picks!

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Vanek/Virtanen - Sutter - Eriksson

Gaunce - Dowd - Brown/Gagner

If Granlund plays C it allows to have three scoring lines.  I would put Gaunce-Sutter-Dowd on the same line.  None are really consistent scorers but can play a shutdown role.  Virtanen could also play on that line.  

Which team could have interest in Gagner with two years left on his contract.  I actually wonder if the Canucks won't end up buying him out this off-season especially if the Sedins want to come back.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

If Granlund plays C it allows to have three scoring lines.  I would put Gaunce-Sutter-Dowd on the same line.  None are really consistent scorers but can play a shutdown role.  Virtanen could also play on that line.  

Which team could have interest in Gagner with two years left on his contract.  I actually wonder if the Canucks won't end up buying him out this off-season especially if the Sedins want to come back.

As good of a line it could be, I think Dowd is more suited at centre  - he was dominant in the faceoff circle last night. I think Granlund is better suited on the wing - he has been struggling in faceoffs pretty much his entire career. His faceoff percentage has mostly been in the low 30's and high 40's. The only time he got above 50% was when he played only seven games with the Flames in 2013-14.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

As good of a line it could be, I think Dowd is more suited at centre  - he was dominant in the faceoff circle last night. I think Granlund is better suited on the wing - he has been struggling in faceoffs pretty much his entire career. His faceoff percentage has mostly been in the low 30's and high 40's. The only time he got above 50% was when he played only seven games with the Flames in 2013-14.

Cullen and Jokinen are natural Cs and both wanted to play C.  Laviolette still put them on the wing and had Jarnkrok between them at C despite him barely able to win a face-off.  At the end of the season he explained that you have to allow young players the opportunity to improve.  Jarnkrok is now trusted for d-zone face-offs - this season he is at 51% in the d-zone.  

I just don't think it really helps the team to have Sutter or Dowd playing with guys who have more offence to their game.  

7 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I like Brown. He is a fast physical player who plays with a lot of heart.

We could use more of that. worse case we place him back on waviers.  my thought is: if hes a 4th liner on a top nhl team there is a strong argument he can crack at least our 4th line.

id like to see us pickup a wavier wire. i dont recall us picking one up since cramerossa last season was it?  jim usually acquires in free agency; id like to see this guy given a chance.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

We could use more of that. worse case we place him back on waviers.  my thought is: if hes a 4th liner on a top nhl team there is a strong argument he can crack at least our 4th line.

id like to see us pickup a wavier wire. i dont recall us picking one up since cramerossa last season was it?  jim usually acquires in free agency; id like to see this guy given a chance.

who do you take out of the lineup?

4 minutes ago, mll said:

who do you take out of the lineup?

Trade Vanek at some point, Sit Gaunce or Dowd from time to time possibly. Barring 0 new injuries happen also.

If this guy actually hits and is tenacious on the forecheck then he is worth giving a shot for sure. I dont mind Gaunce or Dowd but you cant have many players like that. They need to use their size and impose stress and force turnovers on opposing D more imo

I don't like this guy. If the Canucks make moves at the tdl then it could be like last year again with a steady dose of Megna and Chaput but a player could also come back in trade and the Canucks will most certainly be adding Gaudette before season's end, not to mention, Goldobin is available so it shouldn't get as bad as last year when tdl deals are made......

Also, at the tdl there are a lot of waiver moves and there will likely be much better talent out there.

Let this one pass by GMJB.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

You think they will move Gagner this soon into a new contract?

Vanek, sure, he's a UFA...

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Chaput also plays centre no?  

Its been handy while Sutter and Bo are out. More injuries will happen...

Sutter is back tomorrow, Chaput should be sent down, dont think he needs to clear waivers but maybe he has been called up for a month now no idea. Chaput wont get claimed, good possibility Brown wont either. It is adding a contract and roster spot to a team. I could see a team that will sell at TDL maybe picking him up more so than a playoff hopeful team

Archived