The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Coyotes set high price for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, shopping Niklas Hjalmarsson

The Arizona Coyotes could be one of the busier sellers ahead of the Feb. 26 trade deadline.

It's been a miserable season in the desert, as the Coyotes have languished in the basement, having won just 10 of 44 games.

That means change is in order, and blue-liners Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Niklas Hjalmarsson could be wearing different jerseys come March, reports Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun.

It's a steep asking price for Ekman-Larsson, with Coyotes general manager John Chayka seeking two top-flight roster players in addition to a first-round draft choice for the star blue-liner.

On a poor performing Coyotes team, Ekman-Larsson has recorded 19 points in 44 games this season and is a key piece of the team's leadership core following the retirement of former captain Shane Doan.

Signed through next season, a trade for Ekman-Larsson ahead of this year's trade deadline means the acquiring team would get the Swedish defenseman for two playoff runs before his contract expires. The Coyotes used the same selling point when they dealt Keith Yandle to the New York Rangers ahead of the 2015 trade deadline.

Meanwhile, the Coyotes are also shopping Hjalmarsson. The three-time Stanley Cup champion has had little time to make an impact in Arizona after he was acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks last offseason, as a series of injuries have limited Hjalmarsson to just 18 games this year.

Like Ekman-Larsson, Hjalmarsson is signed through 2018-19, though his cap hit comes in slightly lower, as he's owed $4.1 million.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1464558

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

In the article, it mentions John Chayka is looking for two valuable roster players along with a first-round pick. That first could turn into Dahlin, but it's a risk.

My guess is Arizona would want Nurse (to replace Ekman-Larson), RNH and a 1st. Edmonton would be crazy to make a deal like that so it will probably happen before the night is out.

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

In the article, it mentions John Chayka is looking for two valuable roster players along with a first-round pick. That first could turn into Dahlin, but it's a risk.

No one in their right mind would give a first round pick that wasn't lottery protected in this case.

Tanev + Baertschi + 2019 1st (top 5 protected) or a later 2018 or 2019 1st we somehow acquire before that?

Other teams would beat that offer by a mile.  Would be folly for us to offer more since he is a UFA after next season.  Maybe even make the 1st rounder conditional on re-signing him and it being a 2nd and 3rd otherwise.

Boy would it help us to have a legit #1 D who is still pretty young.  

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

My guess is Arizona would want Nurse (to replace Ekman-Larson), RNH and a 1st. Edmonton would be crazy to make a deal like that so it will probably happen before the night is out.

Depends, from the Oiler’s side if the first is 2018 or 2019.  I think if they could push the first to 2019, they would do that deal.  I don’t think Arizona would though.  RNH is overpaid, and not really that good.  He’s almost like a cap dump, isn’t he?

They are all in for dahlin. Blow it up! Have an ahl team impersonate an nhl team and finish the season with 20 wins and be 31st

I doubt that a team is gonna pay that much mid season. That’s a draft day type deal

hjalmarsson is still a 2nd pair dman on any team

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No one in their right mind would give a first round pick that wasn't lottery protected in this case.

Tanev + Baertschi + 2019 1st (top 5 protected) or a later 2018 or 2019 1st we somehow acquire before that?

Other teams would beat that offer by a mile.  Would be folly for us to offer more since he is a UFA after next season.  Maybe even make the 1st rounder conditional on re-signing him and it being a 2nd and 3rd otherwise.

I can't see anyone other than a playoff team overpaying for OEL at this point.  Any non-playoff team would be crazy to trade for him, including us.  He'd be a great pickup for Toronto really.  Or even Vegas.  Doesn't Vegas have like a hundred draft picks next year?

Just now, Alflives said:

Depends, from the Oiler’s side if the first is 2018 or 2019.  I think if they could push the first to 2019, they would do that deal.  I don’t think Arizona would though.  RNH is overpaid, and not really that good.  He’s almost like a cap dump, isn’t he?

Not even close. He has arguably been their 2nd best player this year. (3rd best at worst).

1 minute ago, billabong said:

They are all in for dahlin. Blow it up! Have an ahl team impersonate an nhl team and finish the season with 20 wins and be 31st

I doubt that a team is gonna pay that much mid season. That’s a draft day type deal

hjalmarsson is still a 2nd pair dman on any team

Arizona should know better than anyone that finishing last doesn't guarantee you the first overall pick...

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Not even close. He has arguably been their 2nd best player this year. (3rd best at worst).

Are you saying if a team has RNH as one of their better players, they are likely to be a bottom team?  Or are you saying RNH is playing good hockey, and the team’s woes are not because of his role/ icetime?  Alf’s not quite getting this one.

From the oilers point of view, its Pullijarvi, Nurse, and a first....and that's just to start the conversation.

From Toronto's point of view, it is Nylander, Lilijgren, and a first....to start the conversation.

I could see the deals growing, but of the two teams mentioned above, I see Oilers ponying up more than I see Toronto.  Toronto can sit on its hands and wait for Doughty or Karlson, while the Oilers need help now, and into the future.  Even if you just miss the playoffs, short of winning the draft lotto, Ekman-Larson addresses needs now and going forward.

Archived