The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Coyotes set high price for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, shopping Niklas Hjalmarsson

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

And if the 2019 first unprotected ends up being first overall then your username will live in infamy...

Oh you could guarantee if we we're 8th  we would win bettmans lottery and give them first overall.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

What a mess the Coyotes are, at this rate I'll be surprised if they turn it around within the next ten years. Just pull the plug already.

I wonder who'd ante up for Oliver though, we're in no position to be shipping out the kind of assets that would be required.

That's why you can count on them picking 1st!

OEL is a guy you build a team around.  The fact that Chayka thinks it's a good idea to trade him for picks and/or prospects where there is no guarantee they will even make the NHL nevermind be a cornerstone Dman like OEL, tells you everything you need to know about Chayka.  He's not NHL GM material...

It's like Benning trading BO or Boeser.  What's the point?  You're not going to get equal value back.  If he's scared OEL will walk in free agency then that means his team really sucks bad and they will be too cheap to pay him.  Arizona should really be moved to a hockey market and they need to strip the team down completely, starting with the owner all the way down to the stick boy...

13 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

OEL is a guy you build a team around.  The fact that Chayka thinks it's a good idea to trade him for picks and/or prospects where there is no guarantee they will even make the NHL nevermind be a cornerstone Dman like OEL, tells you everything you need to know about Chayka.  He's not NHL GM material...

It's like Benning trading BO or Boeser.  What's the point?  You're not going to get equal value back.  If he's scared OEL will walk in free agency then that means his team really sucks bad and they will be too cheap to pay him.  Arizona should really be moved to a hockey market and they need to strip the team down completely, starting with the owner all the way down to the stick boy...

Good point. But I'm guessing it's OEL not wanting to re sign there. Just a guess but I bet he is tired of the crap show. 

21 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

The fact that Chayka thinks it's a good idea to trade him for picks and/or prospects where there is no guarantee they will even make the NHL nevermind be a cornerstone Dman like OEL, tells you everything you need to know about Chayka.

To be fair - that's not the idea:

It's a steep asking price for Ekman-Larsson, with Coyotes general manager John Chayka seeking two top-flight roster players in addition to a first-round draft choice for the star blue-liner.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Adding OEL might (likely) get the Oilers to the playoffs, or at least close, so that pick would be middle of the first round.  

OEL on the oilers would be terrifying.  Be great for creating some fast offensive breakouts without mcdavid having to do all the work.  I would be interested but the ask might be a bit steep for where we are at.  Unless we package a D man like Tanev + a forward like baer and a pick i think we are better without.  I'd like to keep tanman. but OEL is damn good lol

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Lucic, Strome, Nugent-Hopkins and EDM 1st 18 for OEL

scratch Lucic and the 1st.  That might be a deal they would entertain.  (may get a higher offer but thats a reasonable first approach)

OEL would be great for us, but we need the assets we would have to pay to get him to be playing with him here. Can hope that we can nab a top end D man in FA in the next 2 off seasons. Dont know how good the odds of that would be but all we can do is make an offer if they are available July 1

Problem is we want to draft that future type of D and hope we win the Lottery and get Dahlin who most here will think will be better. Drafting a player is very risky to hope they turn into something, especially with the unknown of where we will draft or how that player will be. Trading for OEL may cost a lot but you know what your getting. It is a risk for any team as he could only give you 2 playoff runs and then test FA.

We arent in the right spot as a rebuilding team to trade for him, its simple we have assets they want no doubt, but that would deplete our prospect pool. No need to do that when we are going for a cup in the next 2 years.

OEL is a guy you hope hits FA in 2019. We have 5m Edler coming off the books. Sedins for sure will all but be done by then you would have to think. Pettersson should be contributing for us. Juolevi will be on the team, Demko could be challenging to be the #1 or being a solid backup to Marky. In 2019 as long as we dont make any stupid signings this summer we will be in a position to potentially sign him and our team should be trending upwards at that point.

I say we try to sell quite hard this deadline, get back near nhl ready prospects or good draft picks. Start fresh next year and look at a decent addition to FA this summer and next to hopefully help join our young group and lead them back to the playoffs

9 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

So basically he is asking for BO, Boeser and a first round pick for a Dman out of contract in a year and a half.  Not only is Chayka a terrible GM he's stupid as well...

I see people expecting as much for Tanev. OEL is worlds better than Tanev. And it isn't like Chayka is pressured to move him.

12 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

That deal should be of interest to Arizona but I doubt anything is going to save Edmonton's season. The downside for Arizona taking a 2019 pick is that it is going to push their rebuild out another year and I really feel they want the rebuild to be over. I mean, how many years can you be rebuilding and sell that to your 100's of fans?:)Edmonton is going to be in cap hell next year and they would still need to shed some salary to afford Ekman-Larsson I think.

well, even with McD's salary kicking in they will have 14 mil.... Nurse is also set for a raise so OELs salary would be offset by that a bit. 

The fact is Edmonton doesn't really have that "1D" that so many teams (like us) need. And I do think there's an outside shot it helps them make up the 10 points they need to make the playoffs this season, it would be a hell of an injection of skill to their D and might just jumpstart a run. Chiarelli needs to do something, if they actually continue to do badly this year and into next, and could have had OEL... 

13 hours ago, Western Red said:

IMO still no for EDM. 

Nurse is underrated.

thats probably true, but I still don't see Nurse ever putting up 20 goals. Believe me I don't want to see OEL go to Edmonton, but it makes so much sense to me anyway. They have all the pieces to make it happen and sometimes you have to trade quality for quality. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, even with McD's salary kicking in they will have 14 mil.... Nurse is also set for a raise so OELs salary would be offset by that a bit. 

The fact is Edmonton doesn't really have that "1D" that so many teams (like us) need. And I do think there's an outside shot it helps them make up the 10 points they need to make the playoffs this season, it would be a hell of an injection of skill to their D and might just jumpstart a run. Chiarelli needs to do something, if they actually continue to do badly this year and into next, and could have had OEL... 

Don't forget that $14M in cap space is with only 13 players under contract. They need to add 10 players with that $14M so they are really going to have to be creative.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Don't forget that $14M in cap space is with only 13 players under contract. They need to add 10 players with that $14M so they are really going to have to be creative.

lots of 3 letter acronyms, ELCs, PTOs, and AHL call ups. 

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

I don't know if he'd waive to go, but Hjalmarsson would be an absolute perfect fit for the Jets. 

No shortage of good options for the Jets at the deadline for LHD, that’s for sure. Hjalmarsson, if he’d waived, would probably be the best option, though.

- Hjalmarsson

- OEL

- Paul Martin

- Jordie Benn (could see him being made available

- Jack Johnson

- Alex Edler (if he’d waive)

Buyers market right now.

Archived