The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm astounded how many people seemingly are unable to grasp what should be a pretty obvious facet of the game. 

'But his hero charts says he's no good!!!:frantic:'

:picard:

HERO charts weren't flattering to Malhotra either, but no one complained about his defensive competence because they knew how heavily AV was using him in a shutdown role. Part of why he was able to give the Sedins such a high percentage of offensive zone starts was because of how well Malhotra could absorb those minutes. Sutter is being used similarly, although perhaps not to that extreme.

Whether Sutter's worth his salary might be a question for debate, but he's far from useless.

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm astounded how many people seemingly are unable to grasp what should be a pretty obvious facet of the game. 

'But his hero charts says he's no good!!!:frantic:'

:picard:

Road game.  

Boudreau likes to hard match.  He started Coyle vs Sutter, Gagner vs Koivu and Staal vs Henrik.  Suter-Spurgeon vs Gagner-Boeser.  

Boudreau calls Koivu-Granlund his shutdown line.  Staal is their offensive C1.  Coyle plays C3 on a line with rookie ErikssonEk.

As the game went on he changed the matchups though.  Suter-Spurgeon ended up playing 2 full minutes more against Baer-Sutter.  I think he changed it because Baer-Sutter-Granlund were actually dangerous offensively.  They had a fair bit of zone time so they had to also defend against them.  

4 hours ago, tas said:

it's from almost a decade before I was born but I think it was a popular show. 

Yeah, it was pretty popular.

The theme song was by John Sebastian..musician once intro'd by the Doors, Jim Morrison, as "a very talented guy".

Always enjoy cultural references to the 70's. Those were the days!

41 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

It's the line-matching effect. Green knows he can trust Sutter's line with the toughest defensive assignment for 15 or so minutes of even-strength ice time. That leaves every other line with easier matchups, hence why they all look better off. There will be even more improvement once Horvat comes back and Green can shelter players more effectively.

Trickle-down works better than trickle-up?!

Nice to get that road comeback, with Vanek, Sutter (and Loui) providing the finish.

Strong game again for the depth forwards:

Gaunce, Dowd and Chaput - 0% ozone starts for the three of them, 75% corsi for Gaunce, 64% for the other two - only gave up 4 shot attempts in 11/12 minutes on the road.

A good game. Everyone played hard and finally got an OT win.

Marky was great last night.

Sutton scored in OT in his first game return from injury, wonderful!

I was surprised by Edler who got 2 points.

Vanek once again shown his skill.

Stretch looks lots of progressing.

Boeser worked good, but no points.  Hope the 5 days rest will help him for his point steak.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Nice to get that road comeback, with Vanek, Sutter (and Loui) providing the finish.

Strong game again for the depth forwards:

Gaunce, Dowd and Chaput - 0% ozone starts for the three of them, 75% corsi for Gaunce, 64% for the other two - only gave up 4 shot attempts in 11/12 minutes on the road.

Thanks for the information.  That definitely supports what I saw.  Those three played a really strong game.  With guys carrying such a hard defensive burden, it should free up our more offensive players.

1 hour ago, TheOgRook said:

Yeah very much so.. but only by certain posters.  Some of us have loved him from the get go.

I’ve always been a fan and never understood the hate for the guy, he’s not even overpaid for what he is under the current salary cap. 5 or 6 years ago you could consider him overpaid at this cap hit but not anymore that’s market value for a player of his ilk. 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks for the information.  That definitely supports what I saw.  Those three played a really strong game.  With guys carrying such a hard defensive burden, it should free up our more offensive players.

They were playing agains the Wild's 3rd and 4th line and 3rd D pairing (Olofsson-Prosser).  D-zone starts is not always indicative of tough competition.  Sometimes it's also to get away from matchups.  They still dominated.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They were playing agains the Wild's 3rd and 4th line and 3rd D pairing (Olofsson-Prosser).  D-zone starts is not always indicative of tough competition.  Sometimes it's also to get away from matchups.  They still dominated.

True too, but them taking all those dzone starts means Henrik doesn't have so many.  

16 minutes ago, mll said:

It also shows that the wild were line matching hard, so when the canucks put out the Sutter line, the wild matched with their 3rd/4th line.  Until later in the game, when they need a bit more offence.  That's when the line matching changed.

21 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Dry off that wet blanket, Sant.  

Team can’t sustain prolonged Horvat/Sutter injuries but is much better than you’re giving them credit for.  

Look at this teams defence and goaltending when healthy, at tell me honestly that we're a playoff contender.

We have at most 2 top 4 D men if you count Edler.

The rest are bottom paring guys.

In net, Marky and Nilsson let in soft soft goals regularly. (Although last game Marky was sharp).

So basically for us to contend for a playoff spot, Horvat and Boeser are gonna have to be so good offensively that it makes up for our lack of defense.

Archived