The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Look at this teams defence and goaltending when healthy, at tell me honestly that we're a playoff contender.

We have at most 2 top 4 D men if you count Edler.

The rest are bottom paring guys.

In net, Marky and Nilsson let in soft soft goals regularly. (Although last game Marky was sharp).

So basically for us to contend for a playoff spot, Horvat and Boeser are gonna have to be so good offensively that it makes up for our lack of defense.

With a healthy lineup we beat some really good teams. That doesn't always translate to playoff success but it doesn't go against it either 

21 hours ago, mll said:

If they don't bring speed - it's the Wild.  

The Wild have some big bodies but they are mostly teddy bears so they traded for Foligno and signed him 2.9 x 4 years.  Big fail.  They can probably squeak in the playoffs but going on a run - unlikely.  The teams around them got faster and they are too slow to keep up.  The Wild were a fast team but not anymore with how quickly other teams improved their speed.

Yes, speed is the new standard.  But fast players can hit too and the twins do neither. I loved watching their magic of old but it only happens on the PP now and even then, not as often.

7 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Look at this teams defence and goaltending when healthy, at tell me honestly that we're a playoff contender.

We have at most 2 top 4 D men if you count Edler.

The rest are bottom paring guys.

In net, Marky and Nilsson let in soft soft goals regularly. (Although last game Marky was sharp).

So basically for us to contend for a playoff spot, Horvat and Boeser are gonna have to be so good offensively that it makes up for our lack of defense.

I agree the D needs to find a top pairing but if we find one it’ll make the whole group a lot stronger.  Even a cobbled together one like the old Tanev-Edler pairing would work (not saying they can still do it.)  I’d add Stecher as a 2nd pairing player as well and Juolevi could get a good look next year.

Easier said than done, but banking on Juolevi+1 isn’t so far off.  I also liked the way the group looked to start the year - with another big-bodied defensively capable C back in Bo they won’t be burned as much playing Green’s aggressive style.  

Nilsson looks completely lost but at least Marky battles.  He may be older but this is his first year with the keys to the car - I’ve seen some positives there. Plus, Demko could push to be backup next year.  I think the goaltending is better than the recent stretch behind a rag tag team looked.

On 2018-01-15 at 7:27 AM, mll said:

If they don't bring speed - it's the Wild.  

The Wild have some big bodies but they are mostly teddy bears so they traded for Foligno and signed him 2.9 x 4 years.  Big fail.  They can probably squeak in the playoffs but going on a run - unlikely.  The teams around them got faster and they are too slow to keep up.  The Wild were a fast team but not anymore with how quickly other teams improved their speed.

The Wild are only 6 points out of first in the Central and have as many wins as the Central leaders. Parise missed the first 40 games and they've been without Niedereiter and Coyle for big chunks this season, literally 3 of their fastest and best players. When healthy they have just as much of a chance as any other team in the Central.

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, it was pretty popular.

The theme song was by John Sebastian..musician once intro'd by the Doors, Jim Morrison, as "a very talented guy".

Always enjoy cultural references to the 70's. Those were the days!

Aye the time of blokes wearing high heeled boots and long hair and perms :)

.... And Glam rock music.... yes those were the days.

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

The Wild are only 6 points out of first in the Central and have as many wins as the Central leaders. Parise missed the first 40 games and they've been without Niedereiter and Coyle for big chunks this season, literally 3 of their fastest and best players. When healthy they have just as much of a chance as any other team in the Central.

They had a terrible start to the season due mostly to injuries but have caught up since.  Granlund had a groin injury and Spurgeon was also out for a while.  

Niederreiter and Coyle seem to be more average skaters but very hard workers.  Parise is fast but he seems to have lost a step after back surgery - it might just be conditioning. Niederreiter will not be able to fully heal his ankle in season and it's going to limit his skating.  

Avalanche vs the Wild earlier this month.  The speed difference was striking.  The Avalanche don't have much past their 1st line but they have speed throughout their lines.  The Wild don't anymore.  Haula was incredibly fast now they have Cullen to replace him. Limited speed leaves very little margin for error because they can't get the puck back.  

Last year Chicago finished first of the conference.  Nashville made wildcard 2.  They swept the Blackhawks.  They had no time to make plays because they were onto them immediately so it lead to some sloppiness and the Predators getting to the puck first.  Quite a few teams have said speed to explain their early exits.  

On 2018-01-15 at 9:26 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Apparently not now as I just listened to it.   Until about 30 minutes ago, had not a clue.   Given what I was able to Google, I consider my 30 minute ago self luckier than my present self in terms of hearing that song.    

Had to laugh Zepp.

Now you know why so many in my generation suffer from Alzheimer’s etc.

Archived