The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks leaders

CrosbyGold

In 94 the Canucks had Bure - a dominant scorer deadly offensively, and a all around player in Linden. I’d argue that in 2010 the game breakers were Kesler and Burrows, disagree If you want. I think Kesler should have been captain but anyways, we had linden and Bure then, and we have Horvat and Boeser now.... the sedins will be gone and we’ll have new players. But does anyone else think these two players could take us deep into the playoffs like Bure and linden? We just need a fire goalie like McLean in 94 and Luongo in 2010.

Yes. And I think we potentially have more clutch players coming in Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich and EP. They all play hard and want to improve endlessly, which is why they were drafted. We have the potential of having a stacked team of depth and drive like we've never seen. Of course, time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Yes. And I think we potentially have more clutch players coming in Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich and EP. They all play hard and want to improve endlessly, which is why they were drafted. We have the potential of having a stacked team of depth and drive like we've never seen. Of course, time will tell.

Respectfully, Horvat and Boeser are not Linden and Bure, but maybe the Canucks finally catch a break and get a star at this draft to add to what we all hope is a Canucks prospect pool for the ages. I hope you’re right!

25 minutes ago, CrosbyGold said:

In 94 the Canucks had Bure - a dominant scorer deadly offensively, and a all around player in Linden. I’d argue that in 2010 the game breakers were Kesler and Burrows, disagree If you want. I think Kesler should have been captain but anyways, we had linden and Bure then, and we have Horvat and Boeser now.... the sedins will be gone and we’ll have new players. But does anyone else think these two players could take us deep into the playoffs like Bure and linden? We just need a fire goalie like McLean in 94 and Luongo in 2010.

All set for any good 3 on 3 tourney that lasts five minutes I guess.   For a playoff run, you need 23 players plus a strong farm system.   Horvat and Boeser will help such run but you could put Luongo or Hasek or Brodeur or even all three and if all you have in addition is Horvat and Boeser, you won't be in playoffs let alone have a run.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Respectfully, Horvat and Boeser are not Linden and Bure, but maybe the Canucks finally catch a break and get a star at this draft to add to what we all hope is a Canucks prospect pool for the ages. I hope you’re right!

I like horvat better than linden. Boeser .... not sure if he will ever compete with Bure

16 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Your premise is in 94 and 2010 and the the next time all you need are 2 good offensive players and a great goalie?

Partner you gotta do a little better than that.

I think your taking it a bit literal there bud. I see the similarities OP is talking about and I think its a start to something great here we can all hope for as Canucks fans. After Bure and Linden we had Nazzy and Bert and then Sedin and Sedin. I like the next chapter with a Bo and Boes so far. Yes we need other pieces to the puzzle but I keep hearing the "Tankers" saying we need keep looking for the next Mcdavid or the next Matthews. Lets give our youngsters the benefit of the doubt in that they may be those players we "think" we are still looking for. I do agree with Xereau in that a #1 D who can QB the PP would be something that might put us to that next level. 

I am confident with what JB has been able to accomplish so far and I am sure he has a plan to put the rest of the puzzle pieces together in the very near future.

54 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think your taking it a bit literal there bud. I see the similarities OP is talking about and I think its a start to something great here we can all hope for as Canucks fans. After Bure and Linden we had Nazzy and Bert and then Sedin and Sedin. I like the next chapter with a Bo and Boes so far. Yes we need other pieces to the puzzle but I keep hearing the "Tankers" saying we need keep looking for the next Mcdavid or the next Matthews. Lets give our youngsters the benefit of the doubt in that they may be those players we "think" we are still looking for. I do agree with Xereau in that a #1 D who can QB the PP would be something that might put us to that next level. 

I am confident with what JB has been able to accomplish so far and I am sure he has a plan to put the rest of the puzzle pieces together in the very near future.

Oh come on lol. You've filled in a lot that the OP did not write. I simply said he needs to add more to make a good post. 

29 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Oh come on lol. You've filled in a lot that the OP did not write. I simply said he needs to add more to make a good post. 

I think he was actually talking about the leaders of the team and not the whole team but yeah it could have had more substance to be more clear.

When I think of leaders I look at players who lead by example on the ice and make it evident that they hate to lose. The Canucks had many of them in 2011, most notably Kesler, Bieksa, and Burrows. You just knew that those guys were vocal in the room and could help motivate their teammates when it was needed.

I’m not sure that the current edition of the team has the right stuff yet. Bo and Brock have potential but I see more followers than leaders on the Canucks right now. Gaudette and Gadjovich may provide more grit and character and hopefully  help fill the leadership vacuum in the coming years.

11 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

We going #1 too ;)

Sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

I think we will be picking a little later, and should be looking into:

Adam Boquist

Noah Dobson

Jared McIsaac

I firmly believe we are going deep on D this draft.

10 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

When I think of leaders I look at players who lead by example on the ice and make it evident that they hate to lose. The Canucks had many of them in 2011, most notably Kesler, Bieksa, and Burrows. You just knew that those guys were vocal in the room and could help motivate their teammates when it was needed.

I’m not sure that the current edition of the team has the right stuff yet. Bo and Brock have potential but I see more followers than leaders on the Canucks right now. Gaudette and Gadjovich may provide more grit and character and hopefully  help fill the leadership vacuum in the coming years.

i find it curious that people so easily forget the impact of the sedins

i vaguely recall they won the scoring race in successive seasons

but that does not demonstrate on ice leadership?

this team would never have gone where it went without the sedins

they operated the #! power play in the entire league as well

teams paid dearly for penalties against that canuck team

i guess it is hard for many to see that quiet leadership

can if fact be extremely effective

"just do as i do. . i need to say less that way"

they were always the most in shape/fit players

they left it all on the ice

hank was the league reigning iron man

solid leadership qualties

19 hours ago, CrosbyGold said:

I see what you're saying... but I'm gonna go ahead and say in 2010... our game breaker was that guy that scored 112 points... and also the other guy that got 85 points in only 63 games. 

Burr & Kes were phenomenal... Kes 75 points, Burr with 67... both over 100 pims... what a beauty group that was. 

14 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I am looking for a leader like this to lead our team to the Cup!! : 

Linden heroic in 1994 Stanley Cup Final

by John McGourty / Vancouver Canucks
December 15th, 2008
After all these years, Cliff Ronning lets us in on a secret that speaks glowingly of Trevor Linden's competitiveness and tenacity.

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

Ronning was remembering Linden dropping his right shoulder into Brian Leetch, pushing the defenseman to the side and scoring on Mike Richter to make the score 2-1 Rangers in Game 7 of the Final. Linden couldn't will his team to victory that night, despite his two goals, in the deciding 3-2 loss.

"I broke my hand in that game," Ronning recalled. "But how do I say I can't play when there's a guy who has played four games with broken ribs and torn cartilage and he's dropping his shoulder into guys to make plays?

"There's a famous picture of Trevor and goalie Kirk McLean standing in exhaustion and it exemplifies what everyone on our team gave that day. It was a sad day because we lost, but it was a great day in the sense of what we had accomplished. We were not as talented a team, but how close we came! And, how close we became as friends, to this day."

Ronning said the famous picture of Linden and goalie Kirk McLean, standing together in Game 7 in total exhaustion, captures the moment. The Canucks had beaten the Calgary Flames in seven games, the last three in overtime, before five-game series victories over the Dallas Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs. Linden was Vancouver's second-leading scorer in the playoffs, behind his right winger Pavel Bure, with 12 goals and 13 assists. Down 3-1 in the Final, the Canucks rallied to win Games 5 and 6.
  At one point in Game 6 in Vancouver, Linden crawled on the ice to get to his bench, he was in so much pain.

"Trevor and Kirk and the exhaustion in their faces exemplifies what everyone on our team gave that day," Ronning said.

"Pat Quinn was inspirational to the younger players and put us in situations that we'd be accountable to each other. That's where Trevor fit in. He showed us that his accountability as a player was to the team, not to Trevor. By playing on the defensive side of the puck and taking hits to make plays, to staying in the night before a big game, Trevor set the disciplinary tone by himself. That's why we saw him as a great leader.

"Quinn slowly groomed our team as he went along and he needed a captain who shared his philosophy of hard work," Ronning said. "Trevor never took a shift off. He sacrificed his body to block shots and did a lot of little things that some scorers won't do. That's what made him an excellent captain."

Ronning grew up in suburban Vancouver, in Burnaby, and was overjoyed to be traded from the St. Blues to the Canucks in 1991. He had a lot riding on winning the 1994 Stanley Cup but even more in seeing his hometown take the Canucks to their heart. He knows the role Linden played in making that happen.

"He's been great for this city from the day he got here until he played his last game," Ronning said. "It's not just what he did on the ice. He did so much for the community. I can feel that connection with the fans and you don't know how many sick kids he visited in hospitals. He brought this community together and I've always thought it would be interesting if he ran for mayor."
  The NHL honored Linden in 1997 as the 10th recipient of the King Clancy Memorial Trophy.

"Certain people have leadership skills in their makeup and it was abundantly evident in Trevor Linden," said Quinn, who named Linden team captain at age 21. "He had shown it as a young player and we were a team changing our ethic. We hadn't been a winning organization. He seemed the right guy to put in there to be our leader and captain.

"He was a high-level performer who brought his level up in the big games. He didn't make mistakes and he scored important goals. Even if he wasn't a prolific scorer, he was that good, solid, two-way player that coaches love to have in the lineup.

"Linden was big in that Game 7 and the whole series," Quinn continued. "There's no possible way to give more than he did. He led by example and was a monster in the final game. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but Vancouver should have won that series. We were better in four of the seven games."

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i find it curious that people so easily forget the impact of the sedins

i vaguely recall they won the scoring race in successive seasons

but that does not demonstrate on ice leadership?

this team would never have gone where it went without the sedins

they operated the #! power play in the entire league as well

teams paid dearly for penalties against that canuck team

i guess it is hard for many to see that quiet leadership

can if fact be extremely effective

"just do as i do. . i need to say less that way"

they were always the most in shape/fit players

they left it all on the ice

hank was the league reigning iron man

solid leadership qualities

Except when it mattered the most, like in the Stanley Cup Final. 

Archived