The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hawks interested in Canucks D Michael Del Zotto

Adarsh Sant

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Not sure what you are arguing? Like all orgs you have to have a plan that works towards a goal. In hockey it is winning a CUP. Gathering players together who will mature into a group that can challenge for a CUP is a must. Assuming such an effort will end up like the Oilers or Laffers is not comparable in my opinion. Those two orgs have had decades long issues in their managements. 

IMHO the failure to convert veteran assets into picks and prospects since 2012 is likely the greatest failure the org has committed. Failure to make a realistic assessment of where the org was in the fall of 2012 and what had to happen in a time line to competitiveness actually pushed the org backwards for another 2 years. I am confident that when Linden/Benning came into the org they knew what had to be done and are doing so. Their biggest challenge is roughing out a vet retention number for next season and trying to make TDL deals that will help increase the picks and prospects. Ideally they can pick up another 1st & 2nd Rounders. 

Can you name an org that have followed this plan you see and have succeeded?

I agree they kept the wrong core players and traded away the players we should have kept. Sadly.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:15 AM, Yotes said:

I am a bit surprised that CHI would be interested in MDZ. They probably wish they kept or would want to re acquire Hjalmarsson. You can bet Bowman ca get Chayka to retain salary on him too.

I wonder if they would want Hutton.  I'd rather move Hutton and keep Del Zotto!

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Not sure what you are arguing? Like all orgs you have to have a plan that works towards a goal. In hockey it is winning a CUP. Gathering players together who will mature into a group that can challenge for a CUP is a must. Assuming such an effort will end up like the Oilers or Laffers is not comparable in my opinion. Those two orgs have had decades long issues in their managements. 

IMHO the failure to convert veteran assets into picks and prospects since 2012 is likely the greatest failure the org has committed. Failure to make a realistic assessment of where the org was in the fall of 2012 and what had to happen in a time line to competitiveness actually pushed the org backwards for another 2 years. I am confident that when Linden/Benning came into the org they knew what had to be done and are doing so. Their biggest challenge is roughing out a vet retention number for next season and trying to make TDL deals that will help increase the picks and prospects. Ideally they can pick up another 1st & 2nd Rounders. 

I think the biggest issue was the No Trade Clauses. Gillis handed those out like candy which got us players short term and handicapped us long term. Unfortunately, we likely will never know how much those NTCs have handicapped us as a lot of things happen behind closed doors. We can only just guess.

Good trade him at the deadline.

DelZotto had a pretty decent first month or so but since then has pretty much looked horrible. 

Guy gets caught out of position a tonne, gives the puck away and loses puck battles far too often and really looks like he has no confidence and is lost most of the time.

Hopefully before the deadline they take a look at Sautner, Brisbois and Chatfield watching these 3 I've seen a lot of promise out of them.

22 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Good trade him at the deadline.

DelZotto had a pretty decent first month or so but since then has pretty much looked horrible. 

Guy gets caught out of position a tonne, gives the puck away and loses puck battles far too often and really looks like he has no confidence and is lost most of the time.

Hopefully before the deadline they take a look at Sautner, Brisbois and Chatfield watching these 3 I've seen a lot of promise out of them.

We still have Holm to look at above these guys as well.

11 hours ago, Provost said:

We still have Holm to look at above these guys as well.

Yes this is true forgot about him. He looked a little lost in preseason but maybe after getting comfortable in his new surroundings and adjusting his game to suit the league he's more himself. He does have some decent tools and would be worth a look especially considering how weak Del Zotto, Pouliot and Hutton have looked at times.

I consider Tanev and Stecher by far the most reliable and consistent defensemen on the team and they came fairly unheralded and from what I've seen I actually figure at least a couple of these guys Chatfield, Sautner, Brisbois and Holm have a good chance of shocking us and being a lot better than we think also. They all really do some things well and have something to offer the team.

24 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Yes this is true forgot about him. He looked a little lost in preseason but maybe after getting comfortable in his new surroundings and adjusting his game to suit the league he's more himself. He does have some decent tools and would be worth a look especially considering how weak Del Zotto, Pouliot and Hutton have looked at times.

I consider Tanev and Stecher by far the most reliable and consistent defensemen on the team and they came fairly unheralded and from what I've seen I actually figure at least a couple of these guys Chatfield, Sautner, Brisbois and Holm have a good chance of shocking us and being a lot better than we think also. They all really do some things well and have something to offer the team.

I agree that at least one of them has a shot to be a useful NHL player and that the next half season is a good time to look at them with no risk (who cares about losing by an extra goal... we are losing anyways).

I would have no heartache if Hutton, Gudbranson, and Del Zotto were moved really.

Our defence is bad when Pouliot can come in and jump these guys on the depth chart.

A bit of a reboot with some new guys and then some help in the offseason via trade or UFA signing.

That leaves next year with:

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev

XX-Pouliot 

XX-XX

Finding a veteran to push Juolevi into more sheltered minutes wouldn’t be too hard.

Heck, swing for the fences and John Carlson would be an excellent fit with us.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I agree that at least one of them has a shot to be a useful NHL player and that the next half season is a good time to look at them with no risk (who cares about losing by an extra goal... we are losing anyways).

I would have no heartache if Hutton, Gudbranson, and Del Zotto were moved really.

Our defence is bad when Pouliot can come in and jump these guys on the depth chart.

A bit of a reboot with some new guys and then some help in the offseason via trade or UFA signing.

That leaves next year with:

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev

XX-Pouliot 

XX-XX

Finding a veteran to push Juolevi into more sheltered minutes wouldn’t be too hard.

Heck, swing for the fences and John Carlson would be an excellent fit with us.

If we moved Del Zotto:

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev

Pouliot-Chatfield

Might look good.  I agree getting a john Carlson type would be fantastic!  Then we could flip Tanev or have 3 solid pairings.  

Edler-Carlson

Pouliot-Tanev

Juolevi-Stecher

Moving MDZ isn't a bad idea at all.  If the price is right.

Maybe we get Forsling back.. haha, but I'd like to get a guy like John Hayden. Big physical guy who has some decent hands.

Obviously with the Hawks cap situation they'd have to make a roster move. Maybe they'd part with Connor Murphy. As long we don't get stuck with Seabrook or something.

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

If we moved Del Zotto:

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev

Pouliot-Chatfield

Might look good.  I agree getting a john Carlson type would be fantastic!  Then we could flip Tanev or have 3 solid pairings.  

Edler-Carlson

Pouliot-Tanev

Juolevi-Stecher

Moving MDZ isn't a bad idea at all.  If the price is right.

Actually the dream becomes in a couple years:

Dahlin-Carlson

Juolevi-Tryamkin
Pouliot-Stecher
Brisebois-Chatfield

:)

I know it isn't realistic... but the future is a little barren at the moment, so indulging myself.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Actually the dream becomes in a couple years:

Dahlin-Carlson

Juolevi-Tryamkin
Pouliot-Stecher
Brisebois-Chatfield

:)

I know it isn't realistic... but the future is a little barren at the moment, so indulging myself.

That would be the deepest d core in the nhl LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I think that if there's any teeth to any rumours around moving our defenseman, this might be the scenario that makes the most sense.

Now, do the Hawks still believe they have realistic playoff hopes?  They'd have to at only 6 points back - not an easy margin to eliminate, but they're in a phase/situation where they're looking to compete every year.   As long as Keith, Toews, Kane et al are still there, they're looking to win.  And with Anisimov back, perhaps their chances of closing that gap increases a bit.

Anyhow, from our perspective - imo dealing Gudbranson is bad idea - a last resort if all else fails.

Dealing Hutton - not a bad idea, but he's young, he's shown improvement when challenged to improve this year (despite being a scratch, he's been better recently, just pushed ouf of a healthy lineup).

Between Edler and Del Zotto - perhaps MDZ is the more realistic move.  It doesn't set us as far back, it's not limited by a clause - and he's more affordable to opposing teams looking to add.   I wouldn't be surprised by something like Edler to Tampa, but the Edler scenarios are more difficult and perhaps not as realistic.

I like MDZ - like how he's stepped up when there were injuries, like his versatility - and he seems to bring some hard work and charisma to the group - but he's also the most evident place holder on the blueline -and if the team is looking towards more transition moves to get bigger and younger, I'd love to see him and John Hayden as parts of a deal.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I think that if there's any teeth to any rumours around moving our defenseman, this might be the scenario that makes the most sense.

Now, do the Hawks still believe they have realistic playoff hopes?  They'd have to at only 6 points back - not an easy margin to eliminate, but they're in a phase/situation where they're looking to compete every year.   As long as Keith, Toews, Kane et al are still there, they're looking to win.  And with Anisimov back, perhaps their chances of closing that gap increases a bit.

It does but again, 'Hawks are capped-out so I don't see how they fit him in, short of moving someone like Seabrook.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It does but again, 'Hawks are capped-out so I don't see how they fit him in, short of moving someone like Seabrook.

Cap wouldn't be an issue for a couple reasons.

Cap is pro-rated.

At the deadline, MDZ's actual cap would be less than one million - for the remainder of this year.

If you're talking about next year, perhaps they'd have to bribe Toronto to enable them to send Hossa to Robidas Island lol.

But no, that's not necessary either.

The Hawks have a 3.56 million cap overage penalty this year (from last)......so there's that.

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Cap wouldn't be an issue for a couple reasons.

Cap is pro-rated.

At the deadline, MDZ's actual cap would be less than one million - for the remainder of this year.

Next year they can sort out later, but who do they move now?  If it's a <$1mil guy, his salary is pro-rated as well so that's only $300K or so.  Maybe I'm not creative enough, but can't see who at his salary+ that they move to make room.  Capfriendly shows their space projected at 0, although now it also says they have $3.8mil at the deadline.  Glad that there's folks out there who can figure this stuff out...

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Next year they can sort out later, but who do they move now?  If it's a <$1mil guy, his salary is pro-rated as well so that's only $300K or so.  Maybe I'm not creative enough, but can't see who at his salary+ that they move to make room.  Capfriendly shows their space projected at 0, although now it also says they have $3.8mil at the deadline.  Glad that there's folks out there who can figure this stuff out...

murphy & Hayden 

for

MDZ & Granny

?

Archived