The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hawks interested in Canucks D Michael Del Zotto

Adarsh Sant

2 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Replaceable with what? Another bonafide 3 or 4 NHL defender? MDZ is a very solid player and entering his prime.Holm is a minor leaguer. Not even a star minor leaguer at that. OJ is nowhere near NHL ready at this stage. Your reasoning isn't reasonable my friend.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

MDZ has never been anything more than a #4, and now he is a #3?, on a med/low placed team. Let's not get carried away here!

The reality is , he would what on Nash, Tampa, Vegas?

LOL Perspective!

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking if Gudbranson is interested in staying here, a deal that works for all sides could be worked out.

Just curious, what would your timeline be for that?

While I agree that players are best traded when their value on the trade market is high, one shouldn't completely weaken the team to the point where it's a perennial tanker just to compile draft picks. That kills the culture in the team, and doesn't really breed an atmosphere where players like Boeser and the like would consider re-signing once their initial contracts are up.

I know.

Gudbranson plays in our bottom pairing and his current deal pays him 3.5 million a year. Not many players his age ask for less then what they currently make. I’m sure his value for himself is higher then what the Canucks want to pay for what he’s bringing to the team. I would guess it’s at least 4 mill a year he’s asking for. The team may contend for a playoff spot earlier but with no playoff expectations however I’m thinking a minimum of 4 years until we could realistically see them compete in the playoffs. That would make Tanev 32. All his injuries gotta be adding up and taking a toll I don’t think he’ll be nearly as effective at age 32 as he is now at 28. The team will have a ton of money this summer to bring the quality and culture of the team back. Boeser is an RFA we have tons of time to build a product around him and we’ll have the salary to meet anything he’ll realistically request.

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

Hmmmm, but I think the purpose of the getting rid of Seabrook is to shed salary.....this isn't really accomplishing that. 

And believe me, you don't want Pokka.  He has a big shot and he is a big body, but he moves like a pregnant yak.  The Hawks would gladly sweeten the pot with him.

I lol'd +1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I don’t really, There should be the chance to see though.  He could surprise like the other guys, or he could fail.  If he gets a long stretch and is awful, then you know what you need to replace in the offseason.

We have a reasonable amount of defensive depth for guys who can play on that side:

Edler

Hutton

Pouliot

Del Zotto

Juolevi 

Holm

Brisebois

Wiercoch

Cederholm

Mceneny

Sautner

Stewart

Tryamkin

I have zero problem testing 2-3 of those guys out for stretches in a season we are already losing and won’t make the playoffs.  If none of them can handle it and we have traded MDZ, the worst that happens is losing an extra game or two, or losing by an extra .5 goals a game.

Ther are handfuls of guys who could be found in the offseason.

Wait a second... are you a tanker? If so, we are coming at this from different places. One injury to that list puts us in Holm/Wiercoch territory. Not bad, but two? Now we're talking Bisebois/Cederholm/Mceneny. We simply are not organizationally deep on the blue line. I'd love to say these guys just need a chance but we know the reality of these guys. They are depth at best for the foreseeable future.

Before the injuries, we were a playoff bubble team with spoiler potential and getting better. That's how I want my team to develop. Not by losing 10 of 12 like we have been doing lately. Did you see how the team was starting to lose confidence and sight of the plan before these last couple of wins? It was getting dark for the boys. That turns into an expectancy over time and spreads like a bad flu if not contained by good leadership and solid play. MDZ simply isn't the guy I want to try and replace in the off season.

"Handfuls" of players like this is a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

MDZ has never been anything more than a #4, and now he is a #3?, on a med/low placed team. Let's not get carried away here!

The reality is , he would what on Nash, Tampa, Vegas?

LOL Perspective!

Not a natural second pairing, I'll admit. But certainly able to play up to it if need be. He's also still a fairly young guy. He's got lots left to offer.

9 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Wait a second... are you a tanker? If so, we are coming at this from different places. One injury to that list puts us in Holm/Wiercoch territory. Not bad, but two? Now we're talking Bisebois/Cederholm/Mceneny. We simply are not organizationally deep on the blue line. I'd love to say these guys just need a chance but we know the reality of these guys. They are depth at best for the foreseeable future.

Before the injuries, we were a playoff bubble team with spoiler potential and getting better. That's how I want my team to develop. Not by losing 10 of 12 like we have been doing lately. Did you see how the team was starting to lose confidence and sight of the plan before these last couple of wins? It was getting dark for the boys. That turns into an expectancy over time and spreads like a bad flu if not contained by good leadership and solid play. MDZ simply isn't the guy I want to try and replace in the off season.

"Handfuls" of players like this is a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

It depends on your operational definition of "tanker" I suppose.

I want to win, and think we should go into every season doing our best to make the playoffs.  I define tankers as those who intentionally go into a season wanting to lose for 2-3 years to stockpile lottery picks with a plan of "eventually" winning.

I do think that once a season is lost, you get assets where you can and focus on organizational and prospect development.  I honestly don't care much what our record is down the stretch as we have no meaningful games left.   I also reject the premise that Del Zotto is going to make a material difference in our record.

We aren't deep in top 4 talent in our D prospect pool (quite barren as a matter of fact), but we have a few bodies who could be #6-8 guys.  We need to give them stretches and see which ones are that, and then move on from the other ones so we can give developmental minutes to new prospects we bring in.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

I want to win, and think we should go into every season doing our best to make the playoffs.  I define tankers as those who intentionally go into a season wanting to lose for 2-3 years to stockpile lottery picks with a plan of "eventually" winning.

I do think that once a season is lost, you get assets where you can and focus on organizational and prospect development.  I honestly don't care much what our record is down the stretch as we have no meaningful games left.   I also reject the premise that Del Zotto is going to make a material difference in our record.

We aren't deep in top 4 talent in our D prospect pool (quite barren as a matter of fact), but we have a few bodies who could be #6-8 guys.  We need to give them stretches and see which ones are that, and then move on from the other ones so we can give developmental minutes to new prospects we bring in.

Very well stated!

You speak of asset management..................which includes rotation of older and replaceable veterans

Bravo!

We are the same, Provost. Good dialogue good sir. If it makes us better, all the better.

51 minutes ago, Provost said:

We are the same, Provost! Splendid dialogue my good man. Now what do we do about Gudbranson?  Oh what a mess.

So many people were slamming jb last off season saying things like "what direction are the canucks going "? Are they rebuilding or loading up bla bla, too many free agents etc etc ..

Now those same free agents are being coveted and we can continue to add to our prospect cupboard and build for the future with picks.

In JB I trust.

1 minute ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

So many people were slamming jb last off season saying things like "what direction are the canucks going "? Are they rebuilding or loading up bla bla, too many free agents etc etc ..

Now those same free agents are being coveted and we can continue to add to our prospect cupboard and build for the future with picks.

In JB I trust.

Providing JB makes these trades, and gets us picks/prospects in return.  

Honestly, it depends on what the Hawks are willing to give up. I'd be fine moving him but I'd also be fine with him sticking around. I'd be hesitant to trade too many players we just signed though. You can argue whether it not looking good actually dissuades players or not but I'd be hesitant all the same.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Gudbranson plays in our bottom pairing and his current deal pays him 3.5 million a year. Not many players his age ask for less then what they currently make. I’m sure his value for himself is higher then what the Canucks want to pay for what he’s bringing to the team. I would guess it’s at least 4 mill a year he’s asking for. The team may contend for a playoff spot earlier but with no playoff expectations however I’m thinking a minimum of 4 years until we could realistically see them compete in the playoffs. That would make Tanev 32. All his injuries gotta be adding up and taking a toll I don’t think he’ll be nearly as effective at age 32 as he is now at 28. The team will have a ton of money this summer to bring the quality and culture of the team back. Boeser is an RFA we have tons of time to build a product around him and we’ll have the salary to meet anything he’ll realistically request.

$4 mil. Brilliant lad, do it.

Archived