The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where does Toronto go from here?

rekker

I think it was a mistake signing Marleau to a 3 year 6.8 mill per year deal at 38 years old. I couldn't understand it at the time. Now his line is in a 2 week bad slump and team isn't playing well. Kamarov JVR and Bozak are UFA and Nylander a RFA at end of this year, they need to be re signed. Marleau at 38 for 6.8 mill is terrible cap management for a team wanting to contend. 

They also need to upgrade their D. I think they'll chase Karlsson or Doughty at end of next year. It'll be good time as the young kids will have progressed enough to make a SCF run. A top tier UFA Dman would be perfect at that time. Maybe they can get someone to take Marleau off their hands for the last year of his contract, his cap hit will be 6.8 but salary will be 4.25 mill. 

3 hours ago, bp79 said:

Can we just once have A topic that doesn't morph into something altogether different? This isn't about the devils and lou. I swear half the people on here have the attention span of A fly

What is your source that flies have a bad attention span? 

4 hours ago, rekker said:

Marleu signing was a huge gaff. They needed D. Two more years after this one for that deal. Didn't hear those rumours about AM. That would serve TO right. They outright tanked for the pick and lucked out on lottery day. I love your point of view on this and I find it interesting to have never read anything on the web that in anyway mirrors your thoughts. Seems the groupie TO media darlings are to afraid to write an article with some doubt or substance on what is going on in Laff Land. 

I read it HF some poster had A link with Austin training in A coyotes shirt the article wen;t on to say A source in the know said it isn;t set in stone that he will bolt only his dream is to still play for his hometown. And yes I hope its true. like you said serves them right cheers.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I think it was a mistake signing Marleau to a 3 year 6.8 mill per year deal at 38 years old. I couldn't understand it at the time. Now his line is in a 2 week bad slump and team isn't playing well. Kamarov JVR and Bozak are UFA and Nylander a RFA at end of this year, they need to be re signed. Marleau at 38 for 6.8 mill is terrible cap management for a team wanting to contend. 

They also need to upgrade their D. I think they'll chase Karlsson or Doughty at end of next year. It'll be good time as the young kids will have progressed enough to make a SCF run. A top tier UFA Dman would be perfect at that time. Maybe they can get someone to take Marleau off their hands for the last year of his contract, his cap hit will be 6.8 but salary will be 4.25 mill. 

They can't afford to upgrade their D and keep JVR. They will miss him. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Exactly why I wrote a whole paragraph on Marleau signing a 6.8 mill per year.  

Good job Lamarillo. Now with a possible playoff run looming. Do they trade JVR for picks? Keep him? Is the rebuild done or not? Man I need to email Darrin Dreger to get the right answers on this........

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Good job Lamarillo. Now with a possible playoff run looming. Do they trade JVR for picks? Keep him? Is the rebuild done or not? Man I need to email Darrin Dreger to get the right answers on this........

I don't think they trade him. THey have 25 mill available to signe above mentioned players plus cpl of lower level players. They'll be able to sign him. But the cap has to go up and Marleau has to come off the books in his last year for them them to chase a high end UFA Dman. By then Matthews will also need to be re signed. 

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think they trade him. THey have 25 mill available to signe above mentioned players plus cpl of lower level players. They'll be able to sign him. But the cap has to go up and Marleau has to come off the books in his last year for them them to chase a high end UFA Dman. By then Matthews will also need to be re signed. 

Not convinced on JVR. He is at that age where it may be his last big contract. He is going to want term. I can't see how TO can commit to term when they have so many question marks. 

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not convinced on JVR. He is at that age where it may be his last big contract. He is going to want term. I can't see how TO can commit to term when they have so many question marks. 

He's making 4.25 mill now. He'll sign long term around 6 mill. Leafs can and will pay him that. They'll front load a 7 year deal or an 8 year deal. Last 2 years will have LNTC so they can move him when he gets older. 

I see them trading Marner. He's not what they thought he would be. JVR is not someone they can afford to let go. 

Babs keeps Mathews off the pp and he's not racking up points. This will help keep Mathews' salary lower when he signs extension. He'll get around 10 mill vs the 12.5 McDavid got. 

Fair enough they can keep JVR but one of the kids have to go then. I think which kid will depend on what they need to offer up to get the dman they need. I suggested they were keeping AM off the PP to keep his contract down. Seems like a sleezeball Lamarillo thing to do. 

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fair enough they can keep JVR but one of the kids have to go then. I think which kid will depend on what they need to offer up to get the dman they need. I suggested they were keeping AM off the PP to keep his contract down. Seems like a sleezeball Lamarillo thing to do. 

I agree with you on why they keep Mathews off pp AM off the pp, I also brought that up. It's not really sleazeball. Mathews will make his money. Mgmt must and should do what's best for team long term. That extra cpl million could be difference in being able to add a player that would get you a Cup or two.

They want him to be a complete 200 ft player, great on both ends of the ice. He's already becoming one of the best defensive forwards on the Leafs. Long term this will be better for Mathews and the Leafs. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I agree with you on why they keep Mathews off pp AM off the pp, I also brought that up. It's not really sleazeball. Mathews will make his money. Mgmt must and should do what's best for team long term. That extra cpl million could be difference in being able to add a player that would get you a Cup or two.

They want him to be a complete 200 ft player, great on both ends of the ice. He's already becoming one of the best defensive forwards on the Leafs. Long term this will be better for Mathews and the Leafs. 

I agree on his play in his end. Ya, he isn't as flashy as McDavid. But he plays the type of game you win with. With his size and all things equal he is a more complete package than McD.

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Frederick Anderson just called out his team, lol!

Matthews >>> McDavid my ass.

Would love to argue over it. But too busy enjoying the crap shows in TO and EDM. I though they were to meet in the finals this year? Rebuilds complete? Lol. Going to bed happy tonight. 

16 hours ago, rekker said:

Or maybe both players are a little overrated?

Hard to overrate a two-time Norris winner and 2 time finalist and leading scoring defenseman in most of the past few seasons.

I agree that Reilly is still riding his "draft potential" wave, but he's only 23.  When I look at Duncan Keith, he became a true #1 once Kane and Toews arrived and he was 24/25 at the time. 

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Hard to overrate a two-time Norris winner and 2 time finalist and leading scoring defenseman in most of the past few seasons.

I agree that Reilly is still riding his "draft potential" wave, but he's only 23.  When I look at Duncan Keith, he became a true #1 once Kane and Toews arrived and he was 24/25 at the time. 

True that. I meant the overrated part more for this year's play to date. But point taken. 

34 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They need Tanev. 

Anderson has been playing real well and holding fort. The longer they wait I'm guessing GM's raise their asks on trades. Just a guess but I could see TO shopping Marner for a D. I could see the Canes biting on that with their surplus on D.

Archived