The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Sedins future changing?

EdgarM

The Sedins have essentially provided their answer to next season - before the trade deadline - the kind of players, and leaders they are.

If they want a rental opportunity to win the Cup, there are few things I'd enjoy more in hockey than watching them raise a Cup whether or not it's in another uniform or as depth scoring/role players.  If there's any way to make that happen, just do it.  If they don't want that and want to come back, there are spots to be earned.  Right now they're earning their minutes, so unless and until that changes....

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not really spitballing free agency at this point (although I think guys like Neal and Wilson will probably get higher paydays than the Sedins) - I'm more looking at these comments from JP Barry and the indication of talks before the deadline and spitballing what that could possibly mean if there were any inclination to be rentals, whether the motivation for that would be to possibly help the team recover futures, or for them to have an opportunity to compete for a Cup while they're still productive - or both.

I have no idea if it's a real possiblity, or what the Sedins are thinking, or whether their agent's intention is to give the team adequate headway to factor into their decisions.  There may be no chance/realistic possiblity of renting them - or there may be - but I imagine all parties are looking at all the possibilities as part of due dilligence.

Maybe just as importantly though - if the team does not intend to re-sign the Sedins (assuming the Sedins would re-sign here, as they've always seemed to indicate they would) - if management shares your (or others) preference to go to free agency for other, different or young assets -  and the Sedins intend to play another year - it might be helpful to get out ahead of FA, perhaps making decision before the deadline, possibly rented with benefits to both sides - and how aggressively management approaches that (market). 

Either way, even if they re-sign, they may be interested in a Vermette type opportunity where he went to the Hawks and back to Arizona (who then strangely, bought him out).

if it could play out like you spitballed, the Sedins go win a cup in ANA, we get Steele, and then the Sedins come back here for 1 more season victory lap and retire.... am all for that, its the best of everything. We get more prospects, the two most deserving guys in the league get rings, and then go out in style? you bet. 

you could be onto something with ANA... according to Cap Friendly their deadline day cap space is over 14 mil.... we'd probably have to take back a couple of expiring contracts but who cares, thats nothing. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if it could play out like you spitballed, the Sedins go win a cup in ANA, we get Steele, and then the Sedins come back here for 1 more season victory lap and retire.... am all for that, its the best of everything. We get more prospects, the two most deserving guys in the league get rings, and then go out in style? you bet. 

It would give some of us (me too) a team to cheer for in the playoffs too.  Maybe not the Ducks though.  Kessler  :sick: YUK is there.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It would give some of us (me too) a team to cheer for in the playoffs too.  Maybe not the Ducks though.  Kessler  :sick: YUK is there.

for the Sedins and Juice its worth it. Just look away when Kes raises the cup :lol: or you know what, the guy gave it everything in 2011 so what the hell, lets get him one too. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for the Sedins and Juice its worth it. Just look away when Kes raises the cup :lol: or you know what, the guy gave it everything in 2011 so what the hell, lets get him one too. 

I do have a Kesler 2010 jersey. :o

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you could be onto something with ANA... according to Cap Friendly their deadline day cap space is over 14 mil.... we'd probably have to take back a couple of expiring contracts but who cares, thats nothing.

It's not quite 'us' winning a Cup - but it would be Hank, Daniel, Juice, Kesler, Miller.... a lot of stale old core there - I think I'd enjoy watching that and it would invoke some past Canuck greatness - there would probably be a lot of collectivel cringe around the rest of the NHL - I'd enjoy that a lot.

They're on pace for 50-60 points somehow which is incredible considering this was supposed to be their last season. If JB is smart he'll re-sign them to a cheap 1 year deal and hopefully they'll be around to mentor Pettersson and Dahlen. Ideally the two kids go to the AHL next season and you never know, a call-up here or there and they'll get to spend some prime time around the twins who would be the absolute perfect mentors for the two Swedish kids.

If Daniel and Henrik can score 30-40 points next season as 3rd/4th liners they deserve a spot on the team.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Show me a team with 14 mil in cap space that can make this deal

The Sedins are unrestricted free agents on their last year, so no moneys are owed beyond this season.

At the trade deadline, you would need a team that has $3,161,290.32 in salary cap space for both the Sedins to fit.

$7,000,000 / 186 days in the season = $37,634.41

(note that players are pays per day, not per game. Players are paid to play, practice, eat right, exercise and travel and rest according to their contracts with the team)

$37,634.41 x 42 days left to the season after FEB28 = $1,580,645.16 per Sedin

$1,580,645.16 per Sedin x 2 = $3,161,290.32 for the two Sedins. That is still a lot, but it is nowhere near fourteen million.

Reference: 2011 explanation

Reference: The system is still in use.

If they want to stay and retire, by all means, accommodate them.

If they want to have a chance at the Cup and want to get traded, by all means, accommodate them.

If they want to re-sign in the off-season, by all means. Accommodate them.

37 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The Sedins are unrestricted free agents on their last year, so no moneys are owed beyond this season.

At the trade deadline, you would need a team that has $3,161,290.32 in salary cap space for both the Sedins to fit.

$7,000,000 / 186 days in the season = $37,634.41

(note that players are pays per day, not per game. Players are paid to play, practice, eat right, exercise and travel and rest according to their contracts with the team)

$37,634.41 x 42 days left to the season after FEB28 = $1,580,645.16 per Sedin

$1,580,645.16 per Sedin x 2 = $3,161,290.32 for the two Sedins. That is still a lot, but it is nowhere near fourteen million.

Reference: 2011 explanation

Reference: The system is still in use.

If they want to stay and retire, by all means, accommodate them.

If they want to have a chance at the Cup and want to get traded, by all means, accommodate them.

If they want to re-sign in the off-season, by all means. Accommodate them.

Cap space is also pro-rated.  At the end of the season the sum of all the daily cap hits have to be under 75M.  

The easiest is to use CapFriendly.  They show the full cap salary that can be added to remain cap compliant by seasons end taking into account the pro-ratas.  They do the calculation daily by also taking into account the banked cap space and any roster movement.  They talk in full salary re the Sedins are 14M but it takes into account that it's not a full season.  

It's the 3rd column on their main page 'Current Cap Space' - full salary a team can add today assuming no change to the roster and remain cap compliant by the end of the season (not quite realistic re the 23 player limit and who knows about recalls etc).  

They also calculate the deadline cap space on the team's page.   Assuming no movement the closer to the deadline the higher the salary cap hit they can add as less salary to be paid (re lower pro-rata) and more cap space banked.

This is Columbus today who has 22 players on the roster.  Today they can add a salary cap hit of 10.5M and assuming no change they will be cap compliant by season's end.  Or they can wait and add a full cap hit of 19.97M at the deadline (roster limits are lifted) and will still be cap compliant at season's end.  Those numbers are recalculated every day to take into account every movement and being one day closer to the end of the season.

The cap space of 4.296M is taking into account the pro-rata but it's more complicated to work that way because players come with their full cap hit even if the team only pays the pro-rata.  It's just a different presentation.  

PROJECTED CAP HIT q.svg : $70,703,678
PROJECTED LTIR USED q.svg : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE q.svg : $4,296,322
CURRENT CAP SPACE q.svg : $10,514,683
DEADLINE CAP SPACE q.svg : $19,977,897
TODAYS CAP HIT q.svg : $71,587,975
ROSTER SIZE: 22/23

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

It's not quite 'us' winning a Cup - but it would be Hank, Daniel, Juice, Kesler, Miller.... a lot of stale old core there - I think I'd enjoy watching that and it would invoke some past Canuck greatness - there would probably be a lot of collectivel cringe around the rest of the NHL - I'd enjoy that a lot.

I mentioned this idea to my wife and she's ready to buy tickets off stub hub to see an ANA playoff game if the twins end up there :lol: guess I'd better bill a little more this month... 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Cap space is also pro-rated.  At the end of the season the sum of all the daily cap hits have to be under 75M.  

The easiest is to use CapFriendly.  They show the full cap salary that can be added to remain cap compliant by seasons end taking into account the pro-ratas.  They do the calculation daily by also taking into account the banked cap space and any roster movement.  They talk in full salary re the Sedins are 14M but it takes into account that it's not a full season.  

It's the 3rd column on their main page 'Current Cap Space' - full salary a team can add today assuming no change to the roster and remain cap compliant by the end of the season (not quite realistic re the 23 player limit and who knows about recalls etc).  

They also calculate the deadline cap space on the team's page.   Assuming no movement the closer to the deadline the higher the salary cap hit they can add as less salary to be paid (re lower pro-rata) and more cap space banked.

This is Columbus today who has 22 players on the roster.  Today they can add a salary cap hit of 10.5M and assuming no change they will be cap compliant by season's end.  Or they can wait and add a full cap hit of 19.97M at the deadline (roster limits are lifted) and will still be cap compliant at season's end.  Those numbers are recalculated every day to take into account every movement and being one day closer to the end of the season.

The cap space of 4.296M is taking into account the pro-rata but it's more complicated to work that way because players come with their full cap hit even if the team only pays the pro-rata.  It's just a different presentation.  

This is a bit confusing. So realistically, how many teams do you think could take on the 3 million to rent the Sedins for the playoffs? I guess quite a few more of them if the Canucks were willing to eat salary as well.

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is a bit confusing. So realistically, how many teams do you think could take on the 3 million to rent the Sedins for the playoffs? I guess quite a few more of them if the Canucks were willing to eat salary as well.

Just check out the deadline cap space and look for the teams who have 14M.  They do the calculation for you and convert it to full salary.

If the trade was to happen today - it's the 'current cap space' number to compare their 14M to.  

https://www.capfriendly.com

This is CBJ today - the number in blue will be different tomorrow (the red only if there is a roster movement).

Tonight's play against the Jets showed that the PP is getting stale, even more passing to Boeser, I noticed that every time Boeser made a nice cross-ice pass to Henrik, he doesn't shoot.   I think that his wrist shot is so weak compared to years past where he has lost confidence to shoot.   He has many assists but only few goals to show for it.   This is making the PP more ineffective when Henrik refused to shoot even with open net a few times and elected to pass 90% of times with that type of opportunities in the past.  It makes me wonder that an extension is not a good idea.  We just need a new blood running the PP even there would be lack of set-up due to no playmaker on this team yet.  

3 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

So which team would want to trade draft picks and/or prospects to the Canucks to rent the Sedins for a few months who have a legit shot at a cup?  

Vegas?  ^_^

2 1st rounders and a top prospect.

Each is worth a 1st & a top prospect.

Archived