The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL expansion rules spoil new markets

Slegr

Come on now, Vegas has the best record in the entire Western Conference and only second to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the whole league. Is that right?

When I first started watching hockey, I saw the expansion San Jose Sharks finish the season with 17 wins, 58 losses and 5 ties.  I saw the 92-93 Ottawa Senators have a record of 10-70-4.

Those were real expansion teams and real growing pains. That was when new teams had to pay more than their financial dues; they had to pay their dues in time, to acquire the necessary pieces to establish themselves as a legitimate team. Fans in these markets went through honeymoon phases and couldn’t care if the team lost, and they appreciated it more when their teams finally started winning.

Not since the Nordiques moved to Colorado and gifted fans there with an all-star team set to win the cup have I ever seen such spoiled hockey fans.  Vegas fans don’t deserve what they have, with NHL rules that now strip  teams of their hard-earned player assets to give Expansion teams major boosts. The Canucks - all but guaranteed to get massive injury bugs every year - lost a serviceable defenseman in Luca Sbisa and had to strategically disadvantage their roster in order not to get robbed of better players.

Bottom line, the NHL gives new franchises too much of a leg up. I hope the rules change before a new team comes to play, or the Seattle Rainiers will be kicking the Canucks’ butts for the next decade.  

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Come on now, Vegas has the best record in the entire Western Conference and only second to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the whole league. Is that right?

When I first started watching hockey, I saw the expansion San Jose Sharks finish the season with 17 wins, 58 losses and 5 ties.  I saw the 92-93 Ottawa Senators have a record of 10-70-4.

Those were real expansion teams and real growing pains. That was when new teams had to pay more than their financial dues; they had to pay their dues in time, to acquire the necessary pieces to establish themselves as a legitimate team. Fans in these markets went through honeymoon phases and couldn’t care if the team lost, and they appreciated it more when their teams finally started winning.

Not since the Nordiques moved to Colorado and gifted fans there with an all-star team set to win the cup have I ever seen such spoiled hockey fans.  Vegas fans don’t deserve what they have, with NHL rules that now strip  teams of their hard-earned player assets to give Expansion teams major boosts. The Canucks - all but guaranteed to get massive injury bugs every year - lost a serviceable defenseman in Luca Sbisa and had to strategically disadvantage their roster in order not to get robbed of better players.

Bottom line, the NHL gives new franchises too much of a leg up. I hope the rules change before a new team comes to play, or the Seattle Rainiers will be kicking the Canucks’ butts for the next decade.  

Maybe it does spoil new markets.... BUT

Was any team actually really hurt during the expansion draft? Is the league actually really hurt because Vegas is doing well?

This might be the best expansion draft ever by a pro-sports league

I just hate that Vegas is doing well and might have a chance at the cup before the Canucks win one. 

Also I despise their twitter.

the expansion draft wasn’t bad. The team got a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners and 2nd pairing defensemen who banded together to play better than what they should be doing. At the beginning of the season Vegas was predicted to be bad. 

Im not too choked if Vegas wins the cup before Vancouver tho. We have one of the most poorly managed history in all sports. Plus Carolina has won a cup before us. Freaking Carolina man

I think that the expansion draft's rules swung too far in Vegas' favor. However, I also think that the NHL is wise to avoid anymore Sharks or Senators' first year situations. There's got to be a balance between setting records for being terrible and leading a conference in their first year.

12 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

I just hate that Vegas is doing well and might have a chance at the cup before the Canucks win one. 

the expansion draft wasn’t bad. The team got a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners and 2nd pairing defensemen who banded together to play better than what they should be doing. At the beginning of the season Vegas was predicted to be bad. 

Im not too choked if Vegas wins the cup before Vancouver tho. We have one of the most poorly managed history in all sports. Plus Carolina has won a cup before us. Freaking Carolina man

lol its called canucks luck

I though Vegas was going to be a good team didn’t see them as good as they are but had no doubt they’d be better than Vancouver.

funny when you go back and look who predicted them as awful and what terrible job mcfee did.lol.

But yeah they got a good start but at the same time what’s better a new franchise set up for at least the short term to build interest and some form of brand or a crappy team with minimal success that struggles to draw a crowd and takes years to get any recognition.

i don’t mind them being good maybe if we weren’t so awful and were fighting them for a post season spot it would irk me more but I’m glad they have had succes the cast offs proving a lot of people wrong.

Why does it make people mad that the new team is good? Reminds me of the old folks in my life with the attitude "I had it rough growing up so your life ought to be hard too!" 

I love the Knights team. They are fun and interesting to watch. They didn't have any real stars at first except Neal and Fleury, imo. They had decent guys and unproven folks with potential that capitalized on the chance to have bigger roles. 

Of course I want the Canucks to win a cup someday but I don't see the point in gnashing my teeth or losing sleep over the idea VGK might do it first. When the Canucks do win a cup none of this will matter.

Bettman puts a team in a region to build a rivalry with Arizona, the Coyotes currently on life support needed help.

So what does Gary do?

He puts Las Vegas in first place miles ahead or rival Arizona who languish at the botttom of the standings in the NHL.

Thanks Mr. Bettman, it's right up there with the glow puck, that  was a special kind of terrible when it debuted more than 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

and got in the range of 15 million as their share of expansion fees money

i am so hurting for all those franchises that lost a player like sbisa for that ransom of a return

i'm sure aqualini would do this deal again in a heart beat

but yeah sure . they was robbed

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

If they were to expand into Quebec a guaranteed hockey mad market with sold out seats.

Bettman will alter the expansion draft because he knows QC is a given, where as LV is like rolling the dice Bettman asssured them instant success!

1 hour ago, logic said:

I wont be surprised if Vegas finishes in the bottom half of the league next year

Me either.  Although Vegas has a leg up on most expansion teams, they still lack a real prospect pool.  They only have one year worth of draftees in the system.  It is going to be hard to sustain their success through the next few years.

32 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Why does it make people mad that the new team is good? Reminds me of the old folks in my life with the attitude "I had it rough growing up so your life ought to be hard too!" 

I love the Knights team. They are fun and interesting to watch. They didn't have any real stars at first except Neal and Fleury, imo. They had decent guys and unproven folks with potential that capitalized on the chance to have bigger roles. 

Of course I want the Canucks to win a cup someday but I don't see the point in gnashing my teeth or losing sleep over the idea VGK might do it first. When the Canucks do win a cup none of this will matter.

I know you touch on this, but it's exactly because people are afraid that Vegas will win a Cup before we do. That's the only reason. If Vegas was $&!#ting the bed right now no-one would care about the draft procedure. 

We weren't hurt by it at all, which makes it even more amusing to me. Next draft though, man, we could lose a player more valuable than Sbisa if Seattle gets an expansion in 2021.

29 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and got in the range of 15 million as their share of expansion fees money

i am so hurting for all those franchises that lost a player like sbisa for that ransom of a return

i'm sure aqualini would do this deal again in a heart beat

but yeah sure . they was robbed

It seemed as the Canucks were managing their assets that they intentionaly left Sbisa exposed and also made their other moves with the expansion rules in mind. To me, it wasn't just the loss of Sbisa, but the fact that we needed to ensure our roster had no low hanging fruit for Vegas to pick. That handcuffed us in ways that we can't really measure.

I don't think Aqualini would be in favour of repeating the exercise, especially as the Canucks try to get deeper in all positions.

I think it's really more about the trades McPhee managed to make around the expansion draft, than the players they acquired during the draft itself. Teams were desperate to protect more players than were allotted and McPhee made a whole bunch of side deals.

During the off-season when every pundit was saying Vegas would be fighting for dead last, I always thought they'd be a middle team. 

Archived