The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL expansion rules spoil new markets

Slegr

15 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think it's rediculous that an expansion team could be first or second in the NHL after half way thru the season. 

The expansion draft rules were way too favourable for Vegas. At next expansion rules will not be this favourable. NHL will fix the mistakes they made. They didn't expect Vegas to do this well. Not to mention all the prospects and picks they have going forward. Vegas hit the jackpot. But future expansion will be different. 

15 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No one said they wanted them to do bad, or suck. And it is ridiculous. The NHL's goal was to have them competitive for playoffs. Not be the best team in the league. 

Seattle won't get the same rules. 

I gotta respectfully disagree with this. I think the NHL owners are more than happy that LV is doing so well as they can now charge more money for the next expansion team.

This is frustrating on many levels but putting a team in Las Vegas was very much a gamble. There's too much competition for entertainment as it is in that city. 

There's no way the NHL could put a team there and "hope" people would turn up to watch a crappy product for years on end. There's too much risk that the team would be a third-rate entertainment option and not be taken seriously in that city. 

With Las Vegas, the league doesn't have the luxury of time for the team to spend years losing before getting better in the traditional manner we've seen in years past. The NHL succeeding in Las Vegas is already challenging enough. The NHL needs the fanbase in Vegas to be invested and incentivized from the start. So, the only way to do that is to ice a competitive team from the get go.

And really, if they're going to have an NHL team in Las Vegas, there's no sense putting a team there if it doesn't have the best shot at being successful. It's a very tricky market with unique dynamics.

I get it all from this angle. Is it fair? No, but I do think a pro sports team in Las Vegas comes with unique dynamics and challenges than other cities. Other pro leagues are looking at how the NHL does in Vegas. It may simply come down to ... in order to put a pro sports team in Vegas, they have to be more competitive from the start.

Seattle is different. There's already a built in rivalry that fans are excited about. There are passionate hockey fans in Washington and the Pacific Northwest. Hockey is (and has been) alive and well there for decades. Those will allow for more of an organic growth period of a franchise. 

But since it is an American market, and the NBA will likely return soon too, an NHL team in Seattle will also need to be competitive, but not quite as "immediately competitive" as Vegas. If that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, babych said:

I gotta respectfully disagree with this. I think the NHL owners are more than happy that LV is doing so well as they can now charge more money for the next expansion team.

you are talking business. I'm talking hockey. I agree with business aspect. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

you are talking business. I'm talking hockey. I agree with business aspect. 

Which is what I was disagreeing with you about - sorry if I wasn't clear. I think having LV be so successful will mean that the NHL will give the next expansion team exactly the same treatment and charge them more. 

How can this be fair?

I have followed the Canucks since the mid-seventies. Lots of bad...not so much good. Still cheering and hoping that they bring the ultimate prize home to BC. It galls me that Vegas is doing so well.

Knights...31st league team in their first year lead the league AND have more high draft picks than can be reasonably wished for by any team. They are better than the Canucks now and set up to be better in the future. 

WTF?

Do you think the expansion draft rules were fair to struggling-to-build teams like the Canuck's? I mean, what does it say about the league when a first year expansion team is better now and will likely be better in the foreseeable future than a team that has finished bottom three in the league for three years and has owners that want to win and perennially spend to the cap?

To me it means that the expansion draft rules were unfair to existing rebuilding team's fans like the Canucks.

Question is...what do you think? Does Vegas' success mean the NHL got it wrong (in terms of fairness to existing teams)?

P.S. Apologies up front if this is locked because it is deemed a rant. Admittedly. ..it is partly that ...but i just got to ask...am I out-of-line here?

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

When you're given as an advantageous of an expansion draft as the Vikings were, being at least decent shouldn't be surprising. It helps they have Gerard Gallant as a coach.

Agreed, the Golden Knights couldn't have done much better than Gallant. Great hiring.

10 minutes ago, J-23 said:

The Knights won't be better than us in the future.

I hope so...but that remains to be seen...no denying Vegas will have much better draft opportunities in near future and no denying they are much better than the Nux now.  I guess future all comes down to difference in current prospects for each team?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think if anyone could predict the future it wouldn't be posted on CDC 

Fair enough. But suppose the future shows that Vegas is great and Canucks suck. Do you suppose then that you would think the 2017 expansion draft were fair?

Or is your comment that this is a silly thread because we can't know the future? In which case...when (in the future) will it be appropriate to judge the fairness of the expansion draft rules? 

Just now, CupIsComing said:

Fair enough. But suppose the future shows that Vegas is great and Canucks suck. Do you suppose then that you would think the 2017 expansion draft were fair?

Or is your comment that this is a silly thread because we can't know the future? In which case...when (in the future) will it be appropriate to judge the fairness of the expansion draft rules? 

suppose it does? I guess I don't think the NHL is "fair" and don't expect it to be. We could also have a great team next yer. Who the hell knows? 

by doing this well Vegas is actually going to have an impact on their prospects, they won't be getting high picks this draft either and they have yet to show they can win a playoff series when it counts. We've seen presidents trophy winners go down easily in the playoffs remember? we don't know anything yet. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

suppose it does? I guess I don't think the NHL is "fair" and don't expect it to be. We could also have a great team next yer. Who the hell knows? 

by doing this well Vegas is actually going to have an impact on their prospects, they won't be getting high picks this draft either and they have yet to show they can win a playoff series when it counts. We've seen presidents trophy winners go down easily in the playoffs remember? we don't know anything yet. 

Thanks for your reply. I guess I DO expect the league to be fair to all, let alone a 47 year old franchise and it's owners and fans. And I am sorry to differ. ..but no way in heck are the Canucks are a great team next year! I would bet my life on it.

I don't agree that Vegas' good performance will effect their current prospects...agree that it may effect their draft placement and thus their draft opportunity.

Ok...let's forget about guessing future performance. Knights are better today (a given I hope), and they have much much better drafting opportunity in the next three years (another given I hope). Putting current prospects aside...doesn't that alone mean Canucks got the expansion shaft?

19 minutes ago, CupIsComing said:

Thanks for your reply. I guess I DO expect the league to be fair to all, let alone a 47 year old franchise and it's owners and fans. And I am sorry to differ. ..but no way in heck are the Canucks are a great team next year! I would bet my life on it.

I don't agree that Vegas' good performance will effect their current prospects...agree that it may effect their draft placement and thus their draft opportunity.

Ok...let's forget about guessing future performance. Knights are better today (a given I hope), and they have much much better drafting opportunity in the next three years (another given I hope). Putting current prospects aside...doesn't that alone mean Canucks got the expansion shaft?

Disagree, we were a great team this season before all the injuries started to pile up, the Bo injury being the finisher. We competed with top teams, our PP was killing it, and our players worked hard. If we are healthy next season and have a couple of prospects up, I wouldn't be surprised if we make the Playoffs.

Eh, one of the redeeming factors for JB, was not adding a pick in addition to losing Sbisa in the expansion draft. Far too many GMs gave up extra, and look like amateur negotiators in hindsight. Vegas should never have had that sort of power; to be able to hold certain players over other GMs heads to get more.

Yes, it's wonderful that the Vegas Knights have turned out so good, but it's also an indictment on the expansion draft, in as much as they became too good too early. 

Just sad that people feel threatened by the Golden Knights.

Look at their roster.  They are a product of good coaching,  and EVERY player buying in to the system.  They have no stars. Just blue collar guys stepping up and working their asses off.

I think it's a GOOD thing that the NHL set a new expansion franchise up to have a running start.  It's not healthy to have a expansion franchise struggle for a decade.  Look at Columbus as an example.  Just now are they starting to see a strong team develop.  It shouldn't take that long.

I'm happy to see the knights do as well as they have.  Stop being so insecure.

Archived