The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL expansion rules spoil new markets

Slegr

If foreseeable future is about 2 years, then you would be right!

The league wanted any new team to be able to compete right away and not linger in the bottom of the NHL for 5 years. Like it or not, they have achieved that. Personally, I think this is great, you don't want a new fan base getting too frustrated with what it is taking to build the team.

Canucks were in a bad situation a few years ago, due to management going all in to chase the cup and then waiting too long to make drastic changes to the lineup. We now have a prospect pool that is deeper than ever before and even though we're sucking this year, the signs are there that we are turning the corner and starting back the other direction.

This team is going to be competitive again, as early as next year, with the talent that we have coming onto the team from a maturing prospect pool.

Keep the faith, Canucks are getting better!

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I guess first of all..............there are 29 other teams fan bases that feel the same way

I guess the other thing is, you will be ok! This is just a minor life disappointment!

Think of it this way...........every morning Donald Trump wakes up and thinks he is smart.........

Think of the disappointment his wife has............no seriously, think about it

Every night she goes to bed, with someone as old as her Grampa...maybe Dad

Now think about this.........you could be her or a Canuck fan mad about a Vegas being in first place

I know which one I would be more upset at

Don't you feel better now?

Yes.

Yes I do.

Thanks.

I hear the posters that say "no worries...we WILL be better by virtue of our prospects and GK inevitably falling away" and hope that you are right.

The "please don't hit me with the newspaper again" part of being a Nux fan has me worried that you folks are wrong.

I will say, those saying " just ride it out...whatever is will be" are suggesting a healthy action that will try to do. 

And three years from now when GK has shown to be much better than Nuxs for all that time. ..we will know we got expansion shafted but too late for anybody to even care.

This might be the lamest  "Canucks and their fans are victims of the NHL" thread I have ever seen. The expansion rules were tweeked slightly from the 1998 and 1999 drafts (that included 1 team coming into the league) to the 2017 draft. The '91, '92, '93 and '00 drafts included either a dispersal draft ('91 with the North Stars) or 2 teams coming into the league so the rules needed to be different. The slight differences in the # of players protected and their eligilibilty between the 2 drafts in the 90's and the Vegas draft have more to do with shady GM dealings in previous drafts and things that are in the CBA and player contracts like NMC's etc than they do with anything sketchy being done by the NHL. You combine that with a larger player pool to choose from, some of the other GM's undervaluing the players they left unprotected and ultimately lost to Vegas, the fact that Vegas has 3 of the bottom 6 NHL teams in their division (Edm, Van, Ari) and a couple of others with aging cores (SJ, Ana), Gallant as coach and voila a team that has as good a shot as any at the Presidents trophy and Stanley Cup just past the half way point of their first season. The rules will likely be the exact same if/when the Seattle franchise is awarded and Canuck fans better hope thats sooner rather than later or they could lose a good young player who is off their ELC and will need to be protected.

14 hours ago, stuman491 said:

I have been thinking about this for a while now.  If I was any other GM in the league I'd be pissed. Vegas was gifted a good team.  Kudos to their management for taking advantage of the situation. But it's got to be frustrating that Vegas did not have to build a good team in the traditional sense. How many other GMs were able to draft their rosters based on decent established players? Wouldn't surprise me if Vegas is black listed by other GMs for a while lol. 

The GM's might be pissed but the owners are laughing all the way to the bank ;)

14 hours ago, babych said:

The GM's might be pissed but the owners are laughing all the way to the bank ;)

And will be again once the next team pays at least half a billion in expansion fees, and starts with an equally decent roster to help keep fans in the arena which in turn adds to the salary pot.  

Imo, the rules were too generous to the expansion team in that they are getting a guaranteed top 4 pairing in almost every team and use them as a chip in a trade for better forward or more draft picks than the forward with 7 F and 3 D and 1 G or 8 skaters and they might be able to snag a top 6  forward and they are also guaranteed to get a better back-up goaltender.    Imagine if we still had Luongo and Schnider and it's a guaranteed that we'd lose them for nothing with this rules.   It is just that there are just too many players to choose from with 30 teams than 26 teams with 90's expansion draft rules.  

I wouldn't mind 8 F, 4 D, and 1 G protected or 7 F, 3 D, and 2 G as a flexible options and 3 years exemption in pro hockey is fairer that way because teams worked hard in players development only to lose him to expansion after 2 years.   They worked very hard to develop their own top 6 F and top 4 D and I just don't see the reason why they should give it away to the expansion team this type of players and could be used as a chip for a trade when they haven't earned it yet.   Just give teams a checking lines rather than scoring lines and give them guaranteed lottery top 3 picks to create their own scoring lines from the NHL Entry draft rather than fleecing them from their top prospects after 2nd year of pro hockey.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:20 PM, Slegr said:

Come on now, Vegas has the best record in the entire Western Conference and only second to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the whole league. Is that right?

When I first started watching hockey, I saw the expansion San Jose Sharks finish the season with 17 wins, 58 losses and 5 ties.  I saw the 92-93 Ottawa Senators have a record of 10-70-4.

Those were real expansion teams and real growing pains. That was when new teams had to pay more than their financial dues; they had to pay their dues in time, to acquire the necessary pieces to establish themselves as a legitimate team. Fans in these markets went through honeymoon phases and couldn’t care if the team lost, and they appreciated it more when their teams finally started winning.

Not since the Nordiques moved to Colorado and gifted fans there with an all-star team set to win the cup have I ever seen such spoiled hockey fans.  Vegas fans don’t deserve what they have, with NHL rules that now strip  teams of their hard-earned player assets to give Expansion teams major boosts. The Canucks - all but guaranteed to get massive injury bugs every year - lost a serviceable defenseman in Luca Sbisa and had to strategically disadvantage their roster in order not to get robbed of better players.

Bottom line, the NHL gives new franchises too much of a leg up. I hope the rules change before a new team comes to play, or the Seattle Rainiers will be kicking the Canucks’ butts for the next decade.  

Bettman: "Here's the proposal for the entry draft for Vegas, for your approval."

NHL owners: Geez, Gary, this looks like it will make Vegas a pretty good team in their first year. Heck, they may even finish ahead of some of the established clubs! Why would we agree to this?"

Bettman: "American TV revenue."

NHL owners: "Great plan. We're on board."

regards,  G.

Yeah, Canucks totally got reemed on this... if we still had Sbisa, we'd be on our way to the cup final right now.... but I feel bad for Avs fans the most, they had to give up their stud goalie Calvin Pickard... lets not forget TVR, I mean, the Blackhawks were a DYNASTY before they lost him

• 3 months later...

It became apparent quite early in the year that the expansion rules have swung too far, and the Golden Knights, as well as the GM is, have been spoiled by the NHL. 

There is no way an expansion team should be playing in the Cup finals, and quite possibly win the Cup. It's just not right.

Archived