The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

Wish I could enjoy watching that Oilers team - but they make me sick.

4th overall

1st overall

3rd overall

7th overall

1st overall

1st overall

1st overall

And that's in just the past 8 years.

Watching Puljujarvi tonight - made me want to puke.  McDavid should have been the last fn straw.  But no...

Pathetic franchise.

So we have a team with very little talent, no toughness,and some posters think vert. is the problem. When has vancouver ever been able to develop players? We get lucky with some being ready out of the box like boeser or hutton but otherwise they go down to the farm and come back no better than when they left. Where are the examples that green is the great player developer. He plays vert with plumbers, rags on him about his defensive game and has managed to destroy whatever confidence he had. Goldi is another talent thats being wasted. If were rebuilding what are we doing playing veterans when we might as well be losing with the young players. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If the Oilers don't make the playoffs, they will somehow win the lottery, so technically they are not moving any further. However we are closer to 5th overall again.

Even if the Oilers make the playoffs, they’ll still somehow manage to win the lottery. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Wish I could enjoy watching that Oilers team - but they make me sick.

4th overall

1st overall

3rd overall

7th overall

1st overall

1st overall

1st overall

And that's in just the past 8 years.

Watching Puljujarvi tonight - made me want to puke.  McDavid should have been the last fn straw.  But no...

Pathetic franchise.

Perfectly sums up my thoughts. And to think that they'd be nothing without McDavid just makes it even more pathetic. 

Until we find capable replacements for the older players, we won't be competitive.

I love and respect the Sedins greatly but they are -13 and -12 this season. Vanek has been good offensively and he has been helping out Boeser, but he is -17. This shows that the Sedins and Vanek are liabilities when they are playing 5-on-5; they pick up most of their points on PP.

Gagner, -15. MDZ -19. Pouliot is showing us why he couldn't crack the Pens D, which is not all that deep. He is -15. But he is still young and can improve.

I think our scoring line should not include two players who are -17 and -15. It just doesn't make much sense to play Boeser with those two. Vanek has made some fancy plays in the offensive zone, showing how good of a player he was in the past but his -17 status is a reflection of his  old leg and laziness that results from being old. Baertschi was playing with Boeser before his injury; it looks like he is playing pretty well. Shouldn't Baer and Boeser play together? Baertschi is much more likely to create turnovers than Vanek and much better defensively as well. As for center, we don't have many options in the middle so Gagner might be the best choice at the moment. Maybe Granlund for few games until Horvat is back? But anyhow, I think we are all hooked on Vanek-Boeser combo because of some good plays but I don't think Vanek helps Boeser out much in the end.

Checking line should be Granlund-Sutter-Dowd. Dowd has played hard since coming over and deserves to take over Dorsett's role. I know Dowd has been good on the faceoff but if we want a chance to win, I think we need another hard worker on the checking line to help out Sutter.

Sedins need baby (grandpa) sitting for 5-on-5 plays. The best fit for that job is Eriksson. He is good defensively and yet, has good chemistry with the Sedins in the offensive zone. 

That leaves the 4th line. The only center on roster is Chaput because Gaunce is not a center. So we go with Gaunce-Chaput-Vanek or Virtanen-Chaput-Vanek.

Baertschi-Gagner-Boeser

Granlund-Sutter-Dowd

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Virtanen-Chaput-Vanek

This is until Horvat comes back. Once Horvat is back, things fall into places:

Baer-Horvat-Boeser (19 minutes)

Granlund-Sutter-Dowd (17 minutes)

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson (12 minutes -- depending on PP and PK, can be as little as 12 for Sedins or as much as 16 for Eriksson)

Virtanen-Gagner-Vanek (12 minutes)

Gaunce

Send Chaput down to AHL.

Pouliot or MDZ need dropped and get a 110% guy like Biega back.

I warned about Pouliot and then I was conned into thinking I was wrong after he had a couple of good games but it turns out my first impression (poor under pressure, indecisive and weak on the boards) was right all along. He is one of those who flatters to deceive and the only thing going for him is he can skate and he's still young, so maybe there is hope.

I would still rather watch Biega.

15 minutes ago, khay said:

Until we find capable replacements for the older players, we won't be competitive.

I love and respect the Sedins greatly but they are -13 and -12 this season. Vanek has been good offensively and he has been helping out Boeser, but he is -17. This shows that the Sedins and Vanek are liabilities when they are playing 5-on-5; they pick up most of their points on PP.

Gagner, -15. MDZ -19. Pouliot is showing us why he couldn't crack the Pens D, which is not all that deep. He is -15. But he is still young and can improve.

I think our scoring line should not include two players who are -17 and -15. It just doesn't make much sense to play Boeser with those two. Vanek has made some fancy plays in the offensive zone, showing how good of a player he was in the past but his -17 status is a reflection of his  old leg and laziness that results from being old. Baertschi was playing with Boeser before his injury; it looks like he is playing pretty well. Shouldn't Baer and Boeser play together? Baertschi is much more likely to create turnovers than Vanek and much better defensively as well. As for center, we don't have many options in the middle so Gagner might be the best choice at the moment. Maybe Granlund for few games until Horvat is back? But anyhow, I think we are all hooked on Vanek-Boeser combo because of some good plays but I don't think Vanek helps Boeser out much in the end.

Checking line should be Granlund-Sutter-Dowd. Dowd has played hard since coming over and deserves to take over Dorsett's role. I know Dowd has been good on the faceoff but if we want a chance to win, I think we need another hard worker on the checking line to help out Sutter.

Sedins need baby (grandpa) sitting for 5-on-5 plays. The best fit for that job is Eriksson. He is good defensively and yet, has good chemistry with the Sedins in the offensive zone. 

That leaves the 4th line. The only center on roster is Chaput because Gaunce is not a center. So we go with Gaunce-Chaput-Vanek or Virtanen-Chaput-Vanek.

Baertschi-Gagner-Boeser

Granlund-Sutter-Dowd

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Virtanen-Chaput-Vanek

This is until Horvat comes back. Once Horvat is back, things fall into places:

Baer-Horvat-Boeser (19 minutes)

Granlund-Sutter-Dowd (17 minutes)

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson (12 minutes -- depending on PP and PK, can be as little as 12 for Sedins or as much as 16 for Eriksson)

Virtanen-Gagner-Vanek (12 minutes)

Gaunce

Send Chaput down to AHL.

Once Bo gets back in the lineup I’m guessing Green will go back for the lines that were effective at the start of the season

Baer Bo Boeser

Sedin Sedin Vanek

Erixkson Sutter Grandlund

Gaunce Dowd Gagner

6 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

I don't mind the loss but really hate to see the nucks getting run and pushed around with no deterrent or push-back. Reminds me of the Boston series. I would rather lose with hits and grit. Need more size and heart to complement the too many Nuck softies. Saying so-long to the Twins will hopefully spark some needed changes. The tank is the only consolation.

This will be the Canucks epitaph.

The fanbase keep saying it and management keep ignoring it. They seem to think drafting size means lack of speed and skill. I am not in the "we need a D camp - I think we need some BIG forwards and I don't mean bottom six. 

But I have said that every year since 2011.

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Virtanen did not take the reigns when the recent injury bug hit the team. That was his moment to shine and he didn't. 

Hate to say it but there's still some more work cut out for him

It's his activity level that puzzles me. 

He can skate, he is fast and he can make the occasional charge down the ice.

However why is he unable or unwilling to work like Dowd or Gaunce - by that I mean he never aggravates opponents by chasing them around and forcing them into mistakes and he seldom finishes his checks with any venom - what is he saving himself for?

I have no doubt he is just as fit as those two but how can a coach "like him" when he seems so lazy/unenvolved most of the time. Goldobin is similar.

15 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

It's his activity level that puzzles me. 

He can skate, he is fast and he can make the occasional charge down the ice.

However why is he unable or unwilling to work like Dowd or Gaunce - by that I mean he never aggravates opponents by chasing them around and forcing them into mistakes and he seldom finishes his checks with any venom - what is he saving himself for?

I have no doubt he is just as fit as those two but how can a coach "like him" when he seems so lazy/unenvolved most of the time. Goldobin is similar.

Agreed. Hasn’t figured out that he isn’t in the WHL anymore.  Doesn’t deserve to be playing right now.

Archived