The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

This is not a hate on to Virtanen but....

Goldobin got sent down due to his lack of compete. Virtanen is in the same vote and he should probably go to Utica, get some more ice time and try to rediscover what hitting and being aggressive on the forcheck is like.

Jake NEEDS to use his speed to press the opposing D and hit guys to make them rush and cause turnovers. He has the tools, is he afraid to play aggressively with his shoulder injury history? I really dont get why he doesnt play the style of game that made him effective. I was kind of shocked in his draft year when Craig Button had him ranked so much lower and I thought he was losing his marbles. It looks like Craig actually knew what he was talking about.

As for the game, like another poster said, Edmonton has the players with size, some with speed who just can play that style of game that we have no answer for. Maroon on line 1, Lucic line 2, Khaira line 3 and Kassian line 4. We literally dont have an answer to any of those guys, the only player would be Gudbranson and he didnt play. I think we need to try and find some size upfront who can play.

I knew all along that Lucic would have been a good signing for us, sure he may diminish in speed as he gets older, but he would be out their and protect guys like Boeser. As of now we are hopeful Gadjovich can play a top 9 role in the NHL but he could be a couple years away at least.

I like that we JB has made quite a few trades and brought in F who have skill but they are all softer, smaller players. Goldobin, Baer, Granlund, dahlen. I think they need to try and find a blend of skill with some players who have grit. I think if we make any deals at the deadline we should be looking for early 20 F who have some size. We may have to move a younger player named above in a trade to get one.

I know the NHL is about speed and skill, but you can still have 1/2 F who can have a larger frame who skate decent and have a bit of a scoring touch.

Overall, this team has a long way to go. Sedin's are going to be back which is fine, I hope they cut their cap hit in half but I am not sure that will happen. We need to try and fix our D. I have liked Markstrom, I think he has done well and better than I thought he could handle the #1 role. We just need to try and find him some better D to play in front of him. Easier said than done, but we should be looking to acquire some D and move out some that play a similar style. MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot are all so so defensively and we only have Tanev signed as of now past this year who is good defensively. That needs to be addressed.

Like others have said, we really needed some big bodies that can hit for this game. No Guddy and Dorsett was painfully missed tonight. This is a game Virtanen should have used his speed and big bodied hits but seen none of it. Not sure why.

McDavid had a "free for all" as well as Puljarvi which was not there in the last meeting with them. Lucic and Maroon seized the opportunity to be aggressive as well.

We have too many floaters on this team right now and I would hope the Coach would address this and way too many mistakes by our smaller defenseman.

Not really too concerned about the loss but would like to see a better effort night in and night out. Where is BO!!!!!!!::D

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Like others have said, we really needed some big bodies that can hit for this game. No Guddy and Dorsett was painfully missed tonight. This is a game Virtanen should have used his speed and big bodied hits but seen none of it. Not sure why.

McDavid had a "free for all" as well as Puljarvi which was not there in the last meeting with them. Lucic and Maroon seized the opportunity to be aggressive as well.

We have too many floaters on this team right now and I would hope the Coach would address this and way too many mistakes by our smaller defenseman.

Not really too concerned about the loss but would like to see a better effort night in and night out. Where is BO!!!!!!!::D

Totally agree. I do believe Virtanen should probably go down to Utica for a bit. Maybe we can call up a guy who plays with an edge to see what they can do. We need a guy with a pitbull mentality that just goes out every shift skates hard and finishes his checks. We need a new Dorsett/Torres type of player. Maybe call up Carcone or Zack M. Archie doesnt have a contract to be able to call him up.

I also think when Guddy is ready to return, Stecher should sit for a couple games. He is still young, let the younger D we have all get some time to watch games. They have sat Hutton, Pouliot(maybe due to injury of hand?) next would be Stecher. I do not think there is anything from with this either.

9 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Not looking good for Virtanen. Only 11:54 minutes, -2, no shots on goal, only 1 hit. The kid's regressing. If Jim Benning somehow doesn't get re-signed, will Virtanen be one of the names in his tombstone? At least he'll have Boeser as an angel.

Jake was a real disappointment last night. The kid doesn't get what is required of him...a big body with skill and speed who does a lot of standing around and watching...waste of skill, speed, and a big body.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

It's his activity level that puzzles me. 

He can skate, he is fast and he can make the occasional charge down the ice.

However why is he unable or unwilling to work like Dowd or Gaunce - by that I mean he never aggravates opponents by chasing them around and forcing them into mistakes and he seldom finishes his checks with any venom - what is he saving himself for?

I have no doubt he is just as fit as those two but how can a coach "like him" when he seems so lazy/unenvolved most of the time. Goldobin is similar.

I'm guessing he has off-ice issues.  It's the only thing that makes sense to me.  But I won't speculate what these issues might be.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Wish I could enjoy watching that Oilers team - but they make me sick.

4th overall

1st overall

3rd overall

7th overall

1st overall

1st overall

1st overall

And that's in just the past 8 years.

Watching Puljujarvi tonight - made me want to puke.  McDavid should have been the last fn straw.  But no...

Pathetic franchise.

Imagine if they win the Dahlin sweepstakes too?!  I would crap my pants!

I hate to say it but last nights game made this team look 7 years away from being legit - if it happens.

lets accept that Dorsett is gone people.  Let's accept that gudbranson, and I'm in his corner, has been a disappointment.  That is the reality now.  And this team can't compete with skill, speed and certainly grit right now.  The oilers embarrassed us last night.

but they got all the draft picks.  Boo hoo.

Is that an excuse for:

no effort in the first period,  no hitting, watching nurse free wheel from behind his own net,  caggiulla belting our d  Flyby after flyby on the "forecheck", no amswer to kaira, Lucic, maroon, (who have nothing to do with the lottery).

noe we wait on unproven prospects to come in and part the waters....big ifs indeed.

pushed around every night all night.  Not good hockey.  Not where we should be right now.

we have a superstar in the making, and skilled players in the pipe and nobody with NHL experience to watch out for them.  It's looking like sedin battery all over agin.

this franchise needs to wake the hell up.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Jake was a real disappointment last night. The kid doesn't get what is required of him...a big body with skill and speed who does a lot of standing around and watching...waste of skill, speed, and a big body.

On a least two goals he was covering for an out of position dman, Jake is not a defenceman, with the D rushing all the time and doing it more and more often forwards like the Sedins or Jake are trying to cover. Now if the rushing D were adding to the score rather than having a forward try to cover for them .....

Having the D rush is a good idea BUT they have to score every now then or hussle back harder than they are rushing, they are getting caught way too much and that system is on the coach, not the player.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Just wait until these little guys are in the playoffs and whistles are in the pockets.

IMO Jake is now being over coached, just stick him out there with Boeser and Horvat for 3 or 4 games and see what happens with 16 min ice time per game. Stop benching him for not being a good dman.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

It's his activity level that puzzles me. 

He can skate, he is fast and he can make the occasional charge down the ice.

However why is he unable or unwilling to work like Dowd or Gaunce - by that I mean he never aggravates opponents by chasing them around and forcing them into mistakes and he seldom finishes his checks with any venom - what is he saving himself for?

I have no doubt he is just as fit as those two but how can a coach "like him" when he seems so lazy/unenvolved most of the time. Goldobin is similar.

I actually think it's more his hockey IQ. 

I don't think it's his laziness at all. He is uncertain what to do and when to pressure and when to stay back. 

It is unfortunate because he is the fastest skater on the team and if he made his decisions quicker, he could do a lot of damage on his forechecks and constantly have the defence fumble the puck on puck retrievals. 

Maybe all it takes for Green is to say, I don't care if you get caught as long as you skate back hard but I want you to be first man in and lay a hit every time you are on the ice... 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I actually think it's more his hockey IQ. 

I don't think it's his laziness at all. He is uncertain what to do and when to pressure and when to stay back. 

It is unfortunate because he is the fastest skater on the team and if he made his decisions quicker, he could do a lot of damage on his forechecks and constantly have the defence fumble the puck on puck retrievals. 

Maybe all it takes for Green is to say, I don't care if you get caught as long as you skate back hard but I want you to be first man in and lay a hit every time you are on the ice... 

Remember it was the same thing with Kassian until Torts made a line that he worked well with, Richardson, a good 2 way defensive center, Booth, a large guy that could skate fairly fast and was a decent fore checker and Kassian that just followed the play and was not afraid to be an offensive threat or being benched if the other team scored a goal. That was the best line the Canucks had the last 20 games or so that year.

Sutter, Virtanen, Granlund maybe.

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I hate to say it but last nights game made this team look 7 years away from being legit - if it happens.

lets accept that Dorsett is gone people.  Let's accept that gudbranson, and I'm in his corner, has been a disappointment.  That is the reality now.  And this team can't compete with skill, speed and certainly grit right now.  The oilers embarrassed us last night.

but they got all the draft picks.  Boo hoo.

Is that an excuse for:

no effort in the first period,  no hitting, watching nurse free wheel from behind his own net,  caggiulla belting our d  Flyby after flyby on the "forecheck", no amswer to kaira, Lucic, maroon, (who have nothing to do with the lottery).

noe we wait on unproven prospects to come in and part the waters....big ifs indeed.

pushed around every night all night.  Not good hockey.  Not where we should be right now.

we have a superstar in the making, and skilled players in the pipe and nobody with NHL experience to watch out for them.  It's looking like sedin battery all over agin.

this franchise needs to wake the hell up.

We are definitely in a rut but think about this... 

Our best centre (Horvat) is still out. 

Our best and most steady d-man (Tanev)  came back from losing a lot of teeth and is playing with a face shield. 

Our 2nd best centre just came back from Injury after a lengthy miss (Sutter's 2nd game back) 

Our toughest dman(Gudbranson)  who is also pretty steady and logs big minutes was out yesterday. 

One of of our top wingers came back from jaw surgery and this is his 5th game back after a lengthy miss. (Baertschi) 

Once Horvat comes back, I would look at maybe Feb to see the true indication and potential level of this team. 

I'm ok with a playoff miss. This was expected this year. 

I just want to see how they play the game from here on out. 

They haven't played as a healthy lineup for months. They were much more in sync and had much better puck movement and decisions in their first game against the oilers. It's hard to gel when personnel is constantly changing due to injuries. 

6 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Remember it was the same thing with Kassian until Torts made a line that he worked well with, Richardson, a good 2 way defensive center, Booth, a large guy that could skate fairly fast and was a decent fore checker and Kassian that just followed the play and was not afraid to be an offensive threat or being benched if the other team scored a goal. That was the best line the Canucks had the last 20 games or so that year.

Sutter, Virtanen, Granlund maybe.

It's funny you mention it but at this point, he looks like a poor man's Kassian... At least Kassian is a positive contribution now. Kassian could also distribute the puck and had good vision. Virtanen would be like a Kassian but a scoring version not a play making version. 

I'm not sure why so many people get angry after losses. This was a good tank game with Boeser getting a point and losing a big 4 point game vs the Oilers. This team was never going to be good this year. This is what rebuilding looks like. Don't hate on the team for a lack of talent. Our future is bright with Pettersson, Lind, gaudette, juolevi, etc coming in the future. Hopefully, we can add another top 5 pick to that group this year. 

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We are definitely in a rut but think about this... 

Our best centre (Horvat) is still out. 

Our best and most steady d-man (Tanev)  came back from losing a lot of teeth and is playing with a face shield. 

Our 2nd best centre just came back from Injury after a lengthy miss (Sutter's 2nd game back) 

Our toughest dman(Gudbranson)  who is also pretty steady and logs big minutes was out yesterday. 

One of of our top wingers came back from jaw surgery and this is his 5th game back after a lengthy miss. (Baertschi) 

Once Horvat comes back, I would look at maybe Feb to see the true indication and potential level of this team. 

I'm ok with a playoff miss. This was expected this year. 

I just want to see how they play the game from here on out. 

They haven't played as a healthy lineup for months. They were much more in sync and had much better puck movement and decisions in their first game against the oilers. It's hard to gel when personnel is constantly changing due to injuries. 

No excuse for no showing in the first period.  The oilers were ready.  We lost the game in the first period.

no excuse for not hitting again....but this is a gm fault as much as the players.

gudbranson plays big minutes. Agreed.  But in no way has he been what we expected or needed entirely.

tanev is tanev.  Solid dman. Always hurt one way or another and never physical.  

Edler is inconsistent 

Pouliot is a warm body

mdz not physical 

stecher er a gamer but undersized

im not going to bother getting into the forwards because the grit left with Dorsett.

I never said that this team wasn't capable of being "competitive" on the low end of the average in an 82 game season.  My point is that this team is light years away from where you could say they have a chance in a seven game series against anyone.

you need to watch more hockey involving teams from our division.

night and day.

Games like last night just reinforce that we need to be focussed on the future.  Confidence plays a huge role in what we are seeing on the ice right now. Early in the year when the club was fully healthy we were on a role and many of the players who are making mistakes now looked solid. The injuries and thus the losing streak has taken it's toll. We are going to see a team tonight who have gone through the same thing we are going through. For years people kept looking at the Jet's thinking that they were on the rise and just to watch them struggle. It takes a while for young clubs to mature. Winnipeg has maintained their focus on drafting and build towards the future. Now their one of the deeper organizations out there. A few trades to try and find some chemistry and fill holes and you get what we will see tonight. 

The return of Bo will help but I expect us to get spanked tonight. As fans we want it all to happen now but that is just unrealistic.

Archived