The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It's funny you mention it but at this point, he looks like a poor man's Kassian... At least Kassian is a positive contribution now. Kassian could also distribute the puck and had good vision. Virtanen would be like a Kassian but a scoring version not a play making version. 

Jake doesn't score.  He doesn't pass. He doesn't hit. He doesn't hustle.

there is no NHL hockey player right now that we can compare jake to.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

you need to watch more hockey involving teams from our division.

night and day.

I live in cgy so I definitely don't just live in the Vancouver bubble. 

When having a healthy lineup, We've beat the caps and the preds this year (2 teams currently leading their division) along with a bunch of teams that are 2 and 3rd in their division. 

This team isn't a contender (not expected to be) but they are not as bad as their standings show either. 

I choose to see this as a positive becuase it means we will get another solid draft pick this year and will surprise a lot of ppl next year. 

15 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I'm not sure why so many people get angry after losses. This was a good tank game with Boeser getting a point and losing a big 4 point game vs the Oilers. This team was never going to be good this year. This is what rebuilding looks like. Don't hate on the team for a lack of talent. Our future is bright with Pettersson, Lind, gaudette, juolevi, etc coming in the future. Hopefully, we can add another top 5 pick to that group this year. 

This is the team Linden/Benning built and from the sounds of it they plan to continue signing aging vets and not leave any room for prospects or not more than one a year.

A rebuild has more than one rookie on it.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This is the team Linden/Benning built and from the sounds of it they plan to continue signing aging vets and not leave any room for prospects or not more than one a year.

A rebuild has more than one rookie on it.

We will eventually have rookies on it. Which rookies are ready right now? I'd rather management set them up for success rather than rushing them into the league. I'm happy with Juolevi, Peterson, Dahlen playing overseas. 

I'm happy with Gaudette in NCAA. 

Lind is doing well in Kelowna. 

Demko shouldn't be up here right now with  our tire fire d. 

Goldy and Virtanen were given chances this year. Signing aging vets sucks but who else would we play at this point? 

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We will eventually have rookies on it. Which rookies are ready right now? I'd rather management set them up for success rather than rushing them into the league. I'm happy with Juolevi, Peterson, Dahlen playing overseas. 

I'm happy with Gaudette in NCAA. 

Lind is doing well in Kelowna. 

Demko shouldn't be up here right now with  our tire fire d. 

Goldy and Virtanen were given chances this year. Signing aging vets sucks but who else would we play at this point? 

Success? What success? That the team will be so bad that a 4 point improvement will be success? That the team will be so bad that any new players will be an improvement?

What does a team with Lind, Gadovitch, Petersson, Demko, Goldy, Dahlen, Juolevi and Guadette look like? 8 rookies in one year? What about all the great draft picks this year, or other years? What play 10 at once? Because the team is getting there or getting rid of prospects because there are too many of them and not enough vets.

What you see here is a plan to get into the playoffs each year failing miserably and resulting in getting multiple top 10 picks. Since this management group took over there have been only five rookies make the team. Hutton, Stecher, Horvat, Boeser and sometimes Virtanen, one a year and only one of their draft picks, that is not rebuilding or even creating a "winning" environment, unless all these prospects not playing in the organization is considered a "winning" environment.

The Canucks "MIGHT"(sarcasm) be in need of a 1st overall elite player(our first) or two or three or four just like Edmonton got the last few years.

Like I said a few weeks ago, if Edmonton gets Dahlin or another 1st overall pick I am giving up Hockey, because then I will know it's just an unfair league and there is no sense in continuing to care about watching the Canucks or this joke of a league.

It will be a lost cause ,because we have no chance to get good when we could use some luck(NOT SKILL) in that stupid lotto draft setup.

When teams at the bottom need help this league doesn't seem to care,but if the arenas are empty and TV revenue falters then they might give a Fu$%

I mentioned before, tank or whatever you can only have 3 top picks (1st-3rd OA)  per decade(THAT FIXES THAT) then there will be a chance for other teams to win the cup.

Also no league cream puff gimmes to teams like Vegas has gotten,the Canuck fans have suffered long enough for C#$%T Sakes.

B.C.would like a Stanley Cup,PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

11 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Like I said a few weeks ago, if Edmonton gets Dahlin or another 1st overall pick I am giving up Hockey, because then I will know it's just an unfair league and there is no sense in continuing to care about watching the Canucks or this joke of a league.

I have tried that lottery simulation more than a hundred times and the Nucks don't even get in the top three 85% of the time, Pitt wins more. Depressing

7 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Success? What success? That the team will be so bad that a 4 point improvement will be success? That the team will be so bad that any new players will be an improvement?

What does a team with Lind, Gadovitch, Petersson, Demko, Goldy, Dahlen, Juolevi and Guadette look like? 8 rookies in one year? What about all the great draft picks this year, or other years? What play 10 at once? Because the team is getting there or getting rid of prospects because there are too many of them and not enough vets.

What you see here is a plan to get into the playoffs each year failing miserably and resulting in getting multiple top 10 picks. Since this management group took over there have been only five rookies make the team. Hutton, Stecher, Horvat, Boeser and sometimes Virtanen, one a year and only one of their draft picks, that is not rebuilding or even creating a "winning" environment, unless all these prospects not playing in the organization is considered a "winning" environment.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Setting up the prospects for success means having them play in a winning environment on other teams that are above their current level and being big contributors to the success of their current team. 

That would not be possible on the Canucks currently and could even stunt their growth or potential. 

Out of all those names you listed, I can see maybe 2 or 3 making the team next year (if that) . That's a pretty good company so I bet if they do make the team, they'd be coming in pretty good. (I wouldn't have expectations of having 2 or 3 players of Brock's calibre in one year but one can dream) 

Rebuilds don't happen overnight. 

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Rebuilds don't happen overnight. 

Nor apparently over the last 4 years.:lol:

screen-shot-2018-01-20-at-2-26-26-pm.png?w=550&h=218

The message was not about rebuild.

Can you imagine how many negative votes I would have got for quoting Benning? Or how many posters would be saying the statement is being taken out of context?

The only rookie that has a chance of making the canucks next years is  Petersson   .

Rebuilds are slow.    We need patience as fans of this club.  Building through the draft is the only way....

Look at how bring in Loui E and the Guddy deal have worked out for us......  

9 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Nor apparently over the last 4 years.:lol:

screen-shot-2018-01-20-at-2-26-26-pm.png?w=550&h=218

The message was not about rebuild.

Can you imagine how many negative votes I would have got for quoting Benning? Or how many posters would be saying the statement is being taken out of context?

I was a huge critic during Gillis last year and when Benning took over because it looked like the mandate was to make the playoffs despite it being very clear that we should be rebuilding. 

I don't feel that way anymore because it is evident that we are Re building. 

Now I don't know if trying to make the playoffs was initially an owner mandate or a gm decision but I'm glad to see the team rebuilding 

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

van.png?format=300wedm17.png?format=300w

Linescore
arrow_down.gif
  1 2 3 T
VAN 0 2 0 2
EDM 2 1 2 5
Three Stars
arrow_down.gif
i?img=%2Fi%2Fheadshots%2Fnhl%2Fplayers%2 J. Puljujarvi, RW Oilers
G: 1, A: 2
i?img=%2Fi%2Fheadshots%2Fnhl%2Fplayers%2 L. Draisaitl, C Oilers
G: 1, A: 1
i?img=%2Fi%2Fheadshots%2Fnhl%2Fplayers%2 A. Larsson, D Oilers
G: 0, A: 1
Scoring Summary
arrow_down.gif
1ST PERIOD VAN EDM
i?img=i%2Fteamlogos%2Fnhl%2F500%2Fedm.pn
1:25
P. Maroon (12)
Assist: C. McDavid
0 1
17:59
J. Khaira (8)
Assists: J. Puljujarvi, L. Draisaitl
0 2
2ND PERIOD VAN EDM
i?img=i%2Fteamlogos%2Fnhl%2F500%2Fvan.pn
1:46
D. Sedin (11) (Power Play)
Assists: A. Edler, B. Boeser
1 2
8:56
B. Sutter (4)
Assists: S. Baertschi, C. Tanev
2 2
18:54
J. Puljujarvi (9)
Assists: A. Larsson, M. Lucic
2 3
3RD PERIOD VAN EDM
4:37
L. Draisaitl (12)
Assists: J. Puljujarvi, M. Lucic
2 4
17:17
P. Maroon (13) (Empty Net)
Unassisted
2 5
Penalty Summary
arrow_down.gif
1ST PERIOD
1:38
J. Puljujarvi: 2 Minutes for Delay of Game - Puck Over Glass
11:47
A. Edler: 2 Minutes for Hooking
19:57
D. Nurse: 2 Minutes for High-sticking
2ND PERIOD
14:20
J. Virtanen: 2 Minutes for Holding
3RD PERIOD
5:59
M. Benning: 2 Minutes for Hooking
7:57
L. Eriksson: 2 Minutes for Tripping

Nice to see Bo back sunday vs Jets, couldn't watch game last night because the play by play people on CBC were making me sick, all I wanted to do was puke listening to them. No More. Radio only for me on saturdays for now on. Sad.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Soft team plays soft.

I think that has me more aggrevated than losing. 

There is ZERO toughness on this team except Gudbranson. 

We need to bring out Jake's mean streak. Jake's first year had some questionable hits and some really good ones. I'd rather have that Jake back than what we are seeing now. 

Maybe we should have taken Prout. 

Horvat is tough in that he won't get pushed around but it's not in his nature to initiate that stuff. 

Everyone else? Soft. 

57 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

The Canucks "MIGHT"(sarcasm) be in need of a 1st overall elite player(our first) or two or three or four just like Edmonton got the last few years.

It will be a lost cause ,because we have no chance to get good when we could use some luck(NOT SKILL) in that stupid lotto draft setup.

When teams at the bottom need help this league doesn't seem to care,but if the arenas are empty and TV revenue falters then they might give a Fu$%

I mentioned before, tank or whatever you can only have 3 top picks (1st-3rd OA)  per decade(THAT FIXES THAT) then there will be a chance for other teams to win the cup.

Also no league cream puff gimmes to teams like Vegas has gotten,the Canuck fans have suffered long enough for C#$%T Sakes.

B.C.would like a Stanley Cup,PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Canucks win that game last night and they're ahead of the Coilers - something to think about when you believe the team needs a 1st overall pick in order to compete with them.

Also - doing what Edmonton has done the past decade is almost impossible to replicate.

I agree with setting hard limits on lottery handouts - but if you believe what you state earlier in that post, the damage is already more than done.

However, this (right beside the lottery champions) is where this team sits after a 2-11 stretch without Sutter, Horvat, Tanev/Gudbranson, Edler, Dorsett, Baertschi, Stecher...

This team doesn't need to rely on pie-in-the-sky - it needs to keep doing what it is doing.   And it has some serious talent still on the way - highly skilled talent not at the NHL level, something the lottery champions like Edmonton and Toronto don't necessarily have as they've graduated their lottery spoils.   Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind - this team has top 6 talent in it's system.  It has a wealth of young goaltending and a respectable group of young D that they'll keep adding to.

A lot of people laughed at the idea that Vegas could/would be good right out of the gate.  A lot of people would have given Luca Sbisa away for a song, or worse, bought that 'awful' contract out - anything to get rid of him.  Well - now we're seeing how important depth is - as Vegas was able to select pretty much any #4 D in the league and a lineup full of middle six forwards.

59 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

He looks like Kassian before he got to the oilers. He looks like Kassian in Vancouver and Mtl 

Im not sure if Jake even looks that good.  Zack had 14 goals and about 30 points here one year(and a bunch of PIMS which included fighting and playing on the edge) . If Jake put up those kind of numbers it would be an improvement over what he is on pace for.

Archived