The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Isn't it frustrating when for years our coaches have been saying stuff like this about teams who beat us and yet over these years we have actually got smaller and less physical.

It was a mistake hiring someone like Linden to dictate team building policy for Vancouver imo

I admit this is hindsight but I've woken up now and I can see what is going on.

We needed a PoHO who wanted to change the identity of this Club not someone content to sit round the campfire with the Sedins discussing perpetuating the good old days and how to postpone their retirement plans.

Here's an idea: Let's retire the Twins and the PoHO at the end of the season and lets get someone in who favours "the good old Canadian Way" i.e. you don't sign players who don't have a line, you always push back, you always back your play and in the face of out right "Boston type goonery" the team philosophy is "one in, all in" - no one stands off.

None of the above negates "youth, speed or skill" Trevor if you are reading this.

Trevor is not reading it.

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not a good weekend for sports. The Vikings got eliminated, and those cheating Patriots are back in the Superbowl. The Canucks lost twice as well.

Talk of the Sedins being re-signed has me puzzled. The only way this makes sense to me is if they somehow manage to trade Eriksson and Vanek. Next year there is a slew of forward prospects wanting to make the team (Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, MacEwen), but there aren't many spots. I haven't been happy with Virtanen and Goldobin. Goes to show how important Hockey IQ and composure is.    

You would be very lucky to see one on your list, Gaudette, stick. Anything more and the odds are they are being rushed. Next year more lucky the same with the younger players, Gaunce, Virtanen and hopefully Goldobin and Boucher. More the issue is who is the core of vets next year. Likely two of Vanek, MDZ, Gagner and hopefully Tanev are moved by the TDL.    

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not a good weekend for sports. The Vikings got eliminated, and those cheating Patriots are back in the Superbowl. The Canucks lost twice as well.

Talk of the Sedins being re-signed has me puzzled. The only way this makes sense to me is if they somehow manage to trade Eriksson and Vanek. Next year there is a slew of forward prospects wanting to make the team (Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, MacEwen), but there aren't many spots. I haven't been happy with Virtanen and Goldobin. Goes to show how important Hockey IQ and composure is.    

i'ld love to see those guys playing for the canucks next year. but are they ready? is that in their best interest? or the team's, or just in the best interest of the fans? of your list, gaudette is the only one i see with a strong chance to crack line up. pettersson needs to get stronger... dahlen may need a year in uttica...as much as i love gadg and lind, i doubt they will step right into the line up.

you always have to do what is best for the players and the team. 

that is why a rebuild can take time to succeed. 

9 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Unlike me you don’t pretend to know if our prospects can contribute next year?

yet the basis of your argument is predicated on assuming some will, whereas my point is none have shown that ability to date - thus I ACTUALLY AM ASSUMING NONE WILL CONTRIBUTE MORE THAN THE TWINS COULD, yet you assume they will. Thus, it follows logically that it is YOU who is assuming prospects will corntribute, no me lol. SMH

i think you need to learn to arrange your logic in a more rational manner guy.

sorry you’re so angry about being wrong about hockey players 

lol - don’t become a lawyer kid you just argued my case for me

SO basically, you are right because your assumptions are different than mine. You don't have a point...you have an opinion and an assumption.  I disagree with both.

As for making a case...referring to other posters as "guy", "kid" etc. says all anyone needs to know about your mental capacity.

We're done here

Canucks' slow makes every team looks fast.

Last night, only our Goalie Nillson was great. If not Nillson, due to the weak deference, there might be 3-4, 4-0.

Twins are so soft and slow. H Sedins forgets how to shot. They made lot of mistakes.

Edler was also quite slow.  Our PP looks no danger, but difficult for our goalie.

Our Coach has grits to sit Sedins, Loui and Elder in the rest of games of this season, and play the young guns?

Just a dream!

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Isn't it frustrating when for years our coaches have been saying stuff like this about teams who beat us and yet over these years we have actually got smaller and less physical.

It was a mistake hiring someone like Linden to dictate team building policy for Vancouver imo

I admit this is hindsight but I've woken up now and I can see what is going on.

We needed a PoHO who wanted to change the identity of this Club not someone content to sit round the campfire with the Sedins discussing perpetuating the good old days and how to postpone their retirement plans.

Here's an idea: Let's retire the Twins and the PoHO at the end of the season and lets get someone in who favours "the good old Canadian Way" i.e. you don't sign players who don't have a line, you always push back, you always back your play and in the face of out right "Boston type goonery" the team philosophy is "one in, all in" - no one stands off.

None of the above negates "youth, speed or skill" Trevor if you are reading this.

This reads of sour grapes?

We've acquired Gudbranson, drafted Virtanen, Gadjovich, traded for Dorsett, hell, Prust???   Without a pugilistic side we also drafted Gaudette and Lockwood almost exclusively for the Kesler like feist in their game. Lind it was part of the equation.   I'm pretty sure the concept of a team with a completive edge is part of the plan.  After too many losses, people complain about pushback. Some of those moves have not worked out. but you cant drop the program, go trade Baertschi for muscle because a fan like you panics. Wants Don Cherry good Canadian kids?

We lost to a team that took 8 years to build as a big, fast strong & talented team. By one goal. We're 4 years into such a rebuild ourselves. There is clear indication what you want is on the to do list. Unfortunately, you have to wait. Some of our moves will work out. Some will not. There will be bad nights. Tonight, yesterday actually, was really not that bad. 

24 minutes ago, xereau said:

151664426779865244?5017068535

Aaaaaaaand this season is done.  The guys are demoralized.  Discombobulated.  The early season system has collapsed.  GMJB please kick off the trade season.

plus for spiral logo and use of one of my favorite words discombobulated lol. its not every day we see that word. it is always is a pleasure when we do.

16 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Lol were you really expecting them to make the playoffs.

very dark times.  This is like the last 2 years happening all over again.  It (might) be for the best, if the nucks can work their magic again and strike out with boeser pettersson like awesome pick, but this is sad.  

What's funny is that I don't hear all the screaming for firing Green the way we did for WD on this board, yet this is a VASTLY more talented team than the Canucks iced the past two seasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for another coaching change, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy on CDC regarding whipping boys.  

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

plus for spiral logo and use of one of my favorite words discombobulated lol. its not every day we see that word. it is always is a pleasure when we do.

It's the first word I always use when playing hangman with kids.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We've acquired Gudbranson, drafted Virtanen, Gadjovich, traded for Dorsett, hell, Prust???   Without a pugilistic side we also drafted Gaudette and Lockwood almost exclusively for the Kesler like feist in their game. Lind it was part of the equation.   I'm pretty sure the concept of a team with a completive edge is part of the plan.  After too many losses, people complain about pushback. Some of those moves have not worked out. but you cant drop the program, go trade Baertschi for muscle because a fan like you panics. Wants Don Cherry good Canadian kids?

We lost to a team that took 8 years to build as a big, fast strong & talented team. By one goal. We're 4 years into such a rebuild ourselves. There is clear indication what you want is on the to do list. Unfortunately, you have to wait. Some of our moves will work out. Some will not. There will be bad nights. Tonight, yesterday actually, was really not that bad. 

Then why are all this years stopgap guys the same?

aside from dowd who can play a bit physical the rest add nothing in that department.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Very solid post, Surfer. It was a much better game than the mess in Edmonton. That being said, I think some see the lack of grit in the lineup as an issue that's plagued the team for some time.

Personally, I'd like to see a mix of size/muscle/grit players to accompany speed/skill/agility players, with a strong hockey IQ throughout the lineup. Benning has been doing his best to add as many different facets to the future as possible, and it shows. The team was beaten down by injuries to key players in the last few months, which has been one of the main problems plaguing the roster.

Outside of Gudbranson, Horvat, Dorsett, Dowd, and Hutton (surprisingly) there aren't many other players who have demonstrated a willingness to step in for their teammates and stand up for the team in general. This is a long standing issue.

I do think that Benning will be resigned still, but I think that the heat will be on him far more next season, to ice a roster that will make some noise. I think it's somewhat close, but not there yet.

26 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Then why are all this years stopgap guys the same?

aside from dowd who can play a bit physical the rest add nothing in that department.

Ryan White & Scottie Upshall were PTO's. Upshall whom I believe made our squad isnt quite as big, but opted to go back to St Lou when injuries opened a space for him?

He was rumoured in on Lucic the year before.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Very solid post, Surfer. It was a much better game than the mess in Edmonton. That being said, I think some see the lack of grit in the lineup as an issue that's plagued the team for some time.

Personally, I'd like to see a mix of size/muscle/grit players to accompany speed/skill/agility players, with a strong hockey IQ throughout the lineup. Benning has been doing his best to add as many different facets to the future as possible, and it shows. The team was beaten down by injuries to key players in the last few months, which has been one of the main problems plaguing the roster.

Outside of Gudbranson, Horvat, Dorsett, Dowd, and Hutton (surprisingly) there aren't many other players who have demonstrated a willingness to step in for their teammates and stand up for the team in general. This is a long standing issue.

I do think that Benning will be resigned still, but I think that the heat will be on him far more next season, to ice a roster that will make some noise. I think it's somewhat close, but not there yet.

Me personally I was calling for Okposo, Lucic or Brouwer when we landed Ericsson. And making the point that only Bo was over 200 lbs in our top 6 two years ago. I do understand the idea.  Similarly, I encourage the Evander Kane concept this summer.  

Its a fair critique of the build of our current roster. If efforts have been made, we have yet returned an adequate result that has landed on our roster. 

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ryan White & Scottie Upshall were PTO's. Upshall whom I believe made our squad isnt quite as big, but opted to go back to St Lou when injuries opened a space for him?

He was rumoured in on Lucic the year before.

Me personally I was calling for Okposo, Lucic or Brouwer when we landed Ericsson. And making the point that only Bo was over 200 lbs in our top 6 two years ago. I do understand the idea.  Similarly, I encourage the Evander Kane concept this summer.  

Its a fair critique of the build of our current roster. If efforts have been made, we have yet returned an adequate result that has landed on our roster. 

Fair enough.

but....lol

its not just the jets game.  We got pushed around in Edmonton and played small against a small team in Montreal.

its a common theme.

Just now, riffraff said:

Fair enough.

but....lol

its not just the jets game.  We got pushed around in Edmonton and played small against a small team in Montreal.

its a common theme.

It only matters if you don't have enough skill (or not too many guys well on the downsides of their career) on the team.  Do I want a player with both a ton of grit & skill?  Of course; but right now, we're lacking in skill (which takes a while to "restock"/"reload"/"whatever you want to call it").  A bit of luck (good luck that is) would help - something which this franchise hasn't had since 1999 (HORRIBLE draft year & Burkie gets two HHOFers).

Archived