The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Brogan Rafferty and Max Veronneau

IMHO, US college UFAs are nothing to get too excited about, granted, a free prospect aged 22 and more, is still a free prospect, so there's nothing lost by not pursuing any US college UFAs aggressively.

As a point of reference, here is how undrafted 2017 Top US College UFAs, listed alphabetically (as per  https://www.nhl.com/news/best-college-nhl-free-agents/c-287429252) are faring this season so far.  For the most part, looks like a bunch of decent AHLers and possible tweeners in the bunch.

Zach Aston-Reese: GP: 37 G: 6 A: 18: TP: 24 PM: 49 +/-: +18 (AHL)

Austin Cangelosi: 22-1-3-4-13 minus 5 (AHL)

Sheldon Dries: 38-9-6-15-30 minus 1 (AHL)

Spencer Foo: 37-9-10-19-23 minus 1 (AHL)

Parker Gahagen: GP:5 GAA: 3.95 SVP: .847 (AHL)

Alex Iafallo: 45-3-10-13-4 plus 4 (NHL-LA Kings)

Justin Kloos: 42-12-18-30-26 minus 12 (AHL) / 1 game in the NHL

Neal Pionk (D): 42-1-12-13-11 minus 10 (AHL)

Mike Vecchione: 36-8-17-25-14 minus 6 (AHL)

If I'm JB or TL, I don't think I would be losing any sleep over missing out on these guys...the likes of Will Butcher, Jimmy Vesey on the other hand is another story.

7 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

IMHO, US college UFAs are nothing to get too excited about, granted, a free prospect aged 22 and more, is still a free prospect, so there's nothing lost by not pursuing any US college UFAs aggressively.

As a point of reference, here is how undrafted 2017 Top US College UFAs, listed alphabetically (as per  https://www.nhl.com/news/best-college-nhl-free-agents/c-287429252) are faring this season so far.  For the most part, looks like a bunch of decent AHLers and possible tweeners in the bunch.

Zach Aston-Reese: GP: 37 G: 6 A: 18: TP: 24 PM: 49 +/-: +18 (AHL)

Austin Cangelosi: 22-1-3-4-13 minus 5 (AHL)

Sheldon Dries: 38-9-6-15-30 minus 1 (AHL)

Spencer Foo: 37-9-10-19-23 minus 1 (AHL)

Parker Gahagen: GP:5 GAA: 3.95 SVP: .847 (AHL)

Alex Iafallo: 45-3-10-13-4 plus 4 (NHL-LA Kings)

Justin Kloos: 42-12-18-30-26 minus 12 (AHL) / 1 game in the NHL

Neal Pionk (D): 42-1-12-13-11 minus 10 (AHL)

Mike Vecchione: 36-8-17-25-14 minus 6 (AHL)

If I'm JB or TL, I don't think I would be losing any sleep over missing out on these guys...the likes of Will Butcher, Jimmy Vesey on the other hand is another story.

Definitely not worth losing any sleep over missing out on any particular college free agent.

But at the same time, I’d say the hit rate on these guys is probably pretty close to that of mid and late round picks, so it’s still a very worthwhile exercise to be in the mix.

Both players have the opportunity to compete for a roster spot immediately so that has to be appealing to them. 

Even though the Canucks are near the bottom of the league, at least they would let these guys play if they can win their spot. 

Nothing wrong with a FREE asset. I just hope they dont guarantee them NHL time this year, they dont seem like guys we need to offer that too. Where we could use the depth and help is in Utica.

We have a hard time giving young guys any real chance on our roster now, we are healthy now too upfront so there are no openings. Hopefully we move a couple F out this TDL, give more ice to Virt & Goldy as well as sign Gaudette and give him some ice time.

The above 3 players should be getting the opportunity over this college F. As for the D guy, well we are deep their too, more so on the left side. But surely he can get some playing time in Utica. Heck I remember when Werenski signed with Columbus we went to their AHL team to finish the year and did not burn a year off his ELC or age of UFA status whichever it was.

• 1 month later...

Max Véronneau looking even better now than he was a couple months ago. He’s only a handful of points behind Gaudette for the NCAA lead. And having watched some of his game video the past few weeks, I’m hoping the Canucks continue to be interested in him as a free agent target.

Speaking of which, the articles on this year’s crop are finally starting to come out:

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/03/05/2018-college-hockey-free-agents/

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/03/06/top-2018-college-hockey-free-agents-part-two/

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/03/07/2018-college-hockey-free-agents-2/

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/03/08/2018-college-hockey-free-agents-3/

Grant Hutton sounds promising and not because his last name is Hutton(not related) Or for a Hutton Hutton pairing.

Grant Hutton, Right Defence, Miami of Ohio, 6’3″ 204 lbs, Junior

Hutton has put up 10 goals and 22 points in 33 games this season while playing in all situations and taking on the toughest matchups for Miami of Ohio. Hutton is a mobile defender with good speed in both directions. He has strong pivots and agility, allowing him to cover a ton of ice. This allows Hutton to be involved in the attack. He has a very good slapshot. He also can make a strong first pass to start the transition game and is good at leading or joining the rush. While not a natural power-play quarterback, Hutton does have some playmaking skill on the offensive end. He’s better in the role of trigger-man though.

This player sounds interesting too, like that he will take you out with a big hit if you aren't paying attention.

Jimmy Schuldt, Left Defence, St. Cloud State, 6’1″ 205 lbs, Junior

The captain of the Huskies, Schuldt attended the Montreal Canadiens development camp last season. Schuldt has eight goals and 36 points in 34 games this season. The 22-year-old defenceman plays a strong defensive game. Opposing forwards have to be careful not to come up Schuldt’s side with their heads down, as he is more than willing to take them out with a big hit. He clears the front of the net and shows strong containment in the cycle game as well. As is clear from his numbers Schuldt can provide some offence as well. He makes a strong first pass out of the zone and has the vision and playmaking skill to quarterback the powerplay. He also has a big slap shot from the point.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:44 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

Tanev and Stecher?

Alec Rauhauser is interesting. People might remember his name from this goal a few years back:

He’s now a 23 year old sophomore D for Bowling Green (he started college late). 6’3”, 216 lbs, skates very well, and has 9 goals, 30 assists, 39 points in 41 NCAA games this season.

Here’s his profile (from the earlier posted links):

“Rauhauser is a great stick handler, he controls the puck on a string and even made a name for himself by scoring a lacrosse-style goal on his backhand in high school. He runs the point on the power play with a great slap shot and excellent wrist shot. Rauhauser has great vision and passing ability, setting up teammates for scoring chances. He understands to keep his shots low to allow teammates to get tip-ins and rebounds. Rauhauser is a strong skater who can lead the rush. Just a sophomore, he could choose to go back to school to continue to work on his defensive game.”

Rauhauser was also just named WCHA Defenseman of the Year.

From Friedman's 31 thoughts - Veronneau will stay in college next season.

16. Two of NCAA Princeton’s talented juniors, Calgary’s Josh Teves and Ottawa’s Maximilian Veronneau, have informed NHL teams they will stay in college for their senior seasons. Both are undrafted free agents, and both had interest. Veronneau led the Tigers in scoring with 55 points in 35 games. Teves was tops among defencemen (fifth overall) with 33 points in 30 games.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:19 AM, coryberg said:

Tanev and Stecher?

Good point.  But to be honest, I didn't expect too much out of these guys when they were signed, so I am delighted that they have become the players that they've become.  My point was, that there are more misses than hits, but I get your point -- you can't win the jackpot if you don't buy a lottery ticket.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:19 PM, combover said:

Not many top college ufas will choose a bottom feeder with their first choice. 

Since benning took over just how many top ufa college players have signed with Vancouver, my count is one stetcher

im not counting the farm hands that get passed over as call ups in favour of Chaput and megna.

Nucks should have interest in any one that’ll listen but I can’t see any player or their agents saying vancouver should be the  first choice.that doesn’t even get into who is under contract next year on d and the favorite sales pitch “we will make room” has been used to many times nobody’s buying it anymore.

if i am a top college ufa i would want a bottom feeder cause i know i would get playing time. although being on a bottom feeder also brings pressure to perform...

On 2018-03-31 at 2:43 PM, SedinMadness said:

if i am a top college ufa i would want a bottom feeder cause i know i would get playing time. although being on a bottom feeder also brings pressure to perform...

Perhaps Instead of thinking “bottom feeder’...  think of it as a chance to be able to pick where and what seems like a promising franchise, with the chance to gain a good contract to enter with.

On 2018-03-18 at 10:27 PM, YummyCakeFace said:

Who?   Who cares.  No really.  Who cares

You probably said the same sort of thing about Alexander Kerfoot, who has 19G and 43Pts in his rookie season.

...Actually yes! You did!

Archived