The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Morgan Rielly placed on the IR

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Reilly plays the left side, doesn't he?

I guess this wouldn't make the Leafs more desperate for Tanev, but maybe makes Gudbranson more palatable?

Tanev and Guddy are both RHD so one isn't more palatable that the other if they're meant to replace a LHD.

But I do find it funny a report about a player going on IR doesn't cover the details of the injury or when it was sustained. I found the link, but it'd help if the OP included it next time.

12 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

We should claim Rielly off IR.

He'd make a good fit on the top pairing in Utica.

Huh? Are you thinking he's on waivers? Because we can't claim him just because he's on injury reserve.

48 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Hold on...

Are you saying Smyl isn't in the ring? His jerseys retired...

What?

To my knowledge neither Smyl nor Linden are in the ROH but it might be because their numbers are retired. 

AFAIK, ROH includes Kurtenbach,  McLean,  Gradin,  Snepsts, Quinn  and Ohlund.

That said,  I'm not 100% certain about the ROH inductees. 

With Borgman and Dermott looking pretty good (so far), Toronto are better situated to handle a LHD injury than they were Zaitsev. However, Reilly is far-and-away their best defenseman. But if they finally pull the trigger on landing a top-4 RHD, then when Zaitsev is back they can shift Hainsey back to the left side until Reilly is back.

So even though MR is a lefty, this just turns up the heat further on getting the righty they've wanted all season.

The time is now to make a deal with TOR. I'm a little annoyed that instead of trying to make the team better, they're pondering re-signing the Sedins and possibly Vanek, and Benning's contract isn't even done yet. What are they doing? (besides nothing)  

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Not enough for a #2 man locked up for cheap for 2.5 years.

Add at least one of Kapanen, Grundstrom, or Johnsson...then maybe it's getting close.

Very definitely.

However, we Canucks fans are known to heavily inflate the value of our perceived untouchables (Tanev) and heavily under value our least desired players, sometimes with no relevant justification (Edler).

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The time is now to make a deal with TOR. I'm a little annoyed that instead of trying to make the team better, they're pondering re-signing the Sedins and possibly Vanek, and Benning's contract isn't even done yet. What are they doing? (besides nothing)  

The Sedins and Vanek are extremely valuable to the Canucks. Only youth would differ. These three are teaching the 21 year olds how to handle life in the NHL and thank God for that for we shall not be Edmonton and I don’t mean the standings; that’s temporary.

16 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Bennington 9000 needs to take advantage. Situation can't be any more perfect for him now. 

Careful Jimmy....

Remember in 1980 when Toronto fleeced us....

Jerry Butler and Tiger Williams from Toronto for Bill Derlago and Rick Vaive from Vancouver 

53 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Very definitely.

However, we Canucks fans are known to heavily inflate the value of our perceived untouchables (Tanev) and heavily under value our least desired players, sometimes with no relevant justification (Edler).

I think we under value our top guys and overvalue on prospects lol.  Tanev isn't a player we overvalue.  Gudbranson is a player I'd say we undervalue as well.  Hamonic/Gudbranson: What are the major differences?  Hamonic has a shot? okay.  They are both considered top 4 D men by several gm's in the league. Both are coveted right handed defensemen.  What Gudbranson lacks could be said his offence.  But Gudbranson adds intimidation, more physicality, and good leadership skills.  Flordia was talking about making Gudbranson their next captain before their GM got forced out and the new gm moved out guddy.  Gudbranson is imo worth close to what hamonic went for.  I just think Calgary overpaid to get him.  Maybe take the lesser of the parts out and we might be in a good position.  (Gudbranson is a ufa not sure if Hamonic was? believed he was locked in for a few).  So yes. We overvalue prospects and often undervalue "the guys who play the minutes and take the heat".   Edler is the perfect example of this.  He eats plates full of trash from fans.  Yet most of undervalue him despite him being our best defensemen for the past decade with the exception of the emergence of Tanev over the past 2 seasons.  Pedan was overhyped.  McCann was overhyped, its only natural.  It's because we are starved for youth and the rebuild.  We identify and give more room for our youngsters.  their potential makes them special because their young.  The old veterans are just in the way.  and because the team is struggling we blame it on the vets.  When in fact they are actually the only ones preventing us from going full scale 12-60-10 on the season lol.  

Edler, Gudbranson, Tanev are all worth a hell of a lot more when we give them credit for.  Look at the value similar players of their age and ilk are getting.  We are just starved for youth to make an impact.  That is why Bo become our savior!~ and why now Boeser is the next savior!  its because they represent the next wave of hope for this franchise.  But without those vets we often hold in little regard we would be the edmonton oilers of the 2000s.  to that I say NO!

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I think we under value our top guys and overvalue on prospects lol.  Tanev isn't a player we overvalue.  Gudbranson is a player I'd say we undervalue as well.  Hamonic/Gudbranson: What are the major differences?  Hamonic has a shot? okay.  They are both considered top 4 D men by several gm's in the league. Both are coveted right handed defensemen.  What Gudbranson lacks could be said his offence.  But Gudbranson adds intimidation, more physicality, and good leadership skills.  Flordia was talking about making Gudbranson their next captain before their GM got forced out and the new gm moved out guddy.  Gudbranson is imo worth close to what hamonic went for.  I just think Calgary overpaid to get him.  Maybe take the lesser of the parts out and we might be in a good position.  (Gudbranson is a ufa not sure if Hamonic was? believed he was locked in for a few).  So yes. We overvalue prospects and often undervalue "the guys who play the minutes and take the heat".   Edler is the perfect example of this.  He eats plates full of trash from fans.  Yet most of undervalue him despite him being our best defensemen for the past decade with the exception of the emergence of Tanev over the past 2 seasons.  Pedan was overhyped.  McCann was overhyped, its only natural.  It's because we are starved for youth and the rebuild.  We identify and give more room for our youngsters.  their potential makes them special because their young.  The old veterans are just in the way.  and because the team is struggling we blame it on the vets.  When in fact they are actually the only ones preventing us from going full scale 12-60-10 on the season lol.  

Edler, Gudbranson, Tanev are all worth a hell of a lot more when we give them credit for.  Look at the value similar players of their age and ilk are getting.  We are just starved for youth to make an impact.  That is why Bo become our savior!~ and why now Boeser is the next savior!  its because they represent the next wave of hope for this franchise.  But without those vets we often hold in little regard we would be the edmonton oilers of the 2000s.  to that I say NO!

This is where I strongly differ; that veterans are in the way. In any walk of life and at al levels, knowledge is passed down from the wise to the youth. If that chain is broken, so are any hopes for greatness. 

Just imagine a scenario where three years ago the Canucks announced a full rebuild and traded the Sedins, Miller and anyone above the age of 25. One could say the Canucks would fare as bad as today given their position. However, thinking that our stars in the making are not learning from our stars of yesteryears would be the death of this franchise. We Canucks fans were told that this is a ten year plan about four years ago. Trading every vet because they are in the way of rookies would double that timeline.

41 minutes ago, Me_ said:

This is where I strongly differ; that veterans are in the way. In any walk of life and at al levels, knowledge is passed down from the wise to the youth. If that chain is broken, so are any hopes for greatness. 

Just imagine a scenario where three years ago the Canucks announced a full rebuild and traded the Sedins, Miller and anyone above the age of 25. One could say the Canucks would fare as bad as today given their position. However, thinking that our stars in the making are not learning from our stars of yesteryears would be the death of this franchise. We Canucks fans were told that this is a ten year plan about four years ago. Trading every vet because they are in the way of rookies would double that timeline.

I'm in favor of moving all players older then edler.  i will support the twins if they re sign but im not opposed to them leaving.  if they were still playing 4th line minutes with next to no production like in the early months id be upset if we re signed them.  they re production has improved but it could be argued production during horvats absence and a losing streak is far less impressive then getting points when were winning.  i think they can no longer be relied on as the sole leaders of this team.  they should be support players. i dont like the twins and boeser as our first line tonight. that should  be bos spot.  the main reason i wouldnt be opposed to them returning is so they can help Juolevi, Pettersson, Gaudette, and Dahlen if they make the squad.  Bo should be our next captain. i hope it happens after next season.  i think giving bo the C at the age of 24 is more ideal then 22 or 23. let him become a seasoned nhler who can better help the next wave of core players.

54 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I'm confused by your statement.

You say: The veterans are the way. then say trading away every vet would double that timeline.  

is your second part what they said?  I'm all for moving our veterans but its important we get players free agency or via trade who can help bridge the gap.  Jim has done a good attempt with that getting guys like Baer, Granny, Gudbranson (even tho hes not the perfect fit), Dowd, Pouliot, etc etc.  Nilsson. gagner. etc.

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I'm confused by your statement.

You say: The veterans are the way. then say trading away every vet would double that timeline.  

is your second part what they said?  I'm all for moving our veterans but its important we get players free agency or via trade who can help bridge the gap.  Jim has done a good attempt with that getting guys like Baer, Granny, Gudbranson (even tho hes not the perfect fit), Dowd, Pouliot, etc etc.  Nilsson. gagner. etc.

Are "IN" the way. As YOU said in your post.

Archived