The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tsunami warning for BC and Alaska (cancelled warning)

DefCon1

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=658a001203e08d87&a=43b367e3&source=ogs

A tsunami Warning is now in effect which includes the coastal areas of British Columbia and Alaska from The Wash./BC Border to Attu, Alaska. - Event details: Preliminary magnitude 8.0 (Mwp) earthquake / Lat: 55.955, Lon: -149.227 at 2018-01-23T09:31:41 UTC Tsunami warnings mean that a tsunami with significant inundation is expected or occurring. Warnings indicate that widespread dangerous coastal flooding accompanied by powerful currents are possible and may continue for several hours after the initial wave arrival.
Recommended actions
Actions to protect human life and property willvary within tsunami warning areas.If you are in a tsunami warning area: Evacuate inland or to higher ground above and beyond designated tsunami hazard zones or move to an upper floor of a multi-story building depending on your situation.If you are in a tsunami watch area: Prepare to take action and stay alert for further information.Additional Information and Next Update: The tsunami message will remain in effect until further notice. Refer to the internet site tsunami.gov for more information. This message will be updated in 30 minutes or sooner if the situation warrants.

Well Victoria will be safe from a tsunami coming from there. Worst case scenario could be flooding in low lying areas. Unless I have miscalculated. In that case it's been nice knowing you all and Go Canucks Go.

If anyone is up for some lite reading this is a fascinating article on what's coming one day.

The Really Big One

An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah was making something to eat watching sportsnet, screen popped up with a red screen making sounds, was sketchy, think we should be good though.

thats what that was...lol...i heard my tv making crazy sounds so i just hit mute and didnt bother looking at the screen to see what was up.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The big one will hit when we're winning a gm7 finals, by a large margin.

Worried about some of these BC, Alaska inlets. Topography leads to funneling some nasty-high tsunamis.

GL to everyone back home!

so not this year... phew

Archived