The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PuckBreak's 2018 Mock Draft

Salter

Hello CDC! Some of you might remember me as the fella who does yearly CDC Mock Draft polls every spring! My favourite part of hockey is the draft, so my friend and I started a bit of a passion project that I want to share with my #1 hockey forum. It's called PuckBreak(today is our launch!). We write articles about prospects, whether they are waiting to be drafted or have been waiting to step into the league post-draft. There is a section for NHL articles as well but if you are a fan of the draft, we've got lots of content that we hope you browse through!

Bellow I shared part of our Mock Draft, up until the Canucks current selection. It will be updated weekly with the new league standings, and our constantly updated order of prospects. We take a personal approach with this mock, and take team needs and prospect pools into consideration every week. This is my pride and joy, and talking about the upcoming draft gets me excited so I wanted to share it with you since this website is where my excitement sprouted!

PS: Mods, I hope this is okay! I know that I am "advertising" my site, but I've contributed to these forums for years and wanted to share this piece of work that a few hockey fans and myself put together!

Link to full Mock Draft

PuckBreak 
PuckBreak's 2018 Mock Draft

Below is the current NHL Draft standings, as well as the current list of top prospects. We take team dynamics into consideration while creating a grand list of weekly updated predictions for the outcome of the 2018 NHL Draft.

Scroll down to find out who your favourite team may be selecting.

Last Updated: January 23rd, 2018

1. Arizona Coyotes

Rasmus Dahlin / D / LH / 6'2 / 183lbs

Near guaranteed to hear his name called first this June, Rasmus Dahlin is ready to dazzle any team with his talents. Expected to jump right to the NHL in the 2018/19 season, Dahlin brings offensive talent to the blue line. He's a quick, fluid skater with high hockey IQ, who can hold his own zone down while bringing a physical edge to his play. Dahlin impressed at the 2017 WJC, scoring 6 points in 7 games and bringing home a silver medal.

2. Buffalo Sabres

ADAM BOQVIST / D / RH / 5'11 / 170lbs

Consider him an offensive, power play quarterback. Boqvist has arguably the hardest shot of all draft eligible defenders, and can create offence like nobody's business. With his lighting quick first step and his agility on the ice, he can be an elite puck moving defenceman. His only downside is that the majority of his great play only comes in the opposing half of the ice. Adam Boqvist needs to work on his defensive game, and build more upper body strength so he doesn't get knocked off the puck as easily. He is currently hovering around 1pt/game in the SuperElite, more than half of those points being goals.

3. Ottawa Senators

ANDREI SVECHNIKOV / RW / LH / 6'2 / 187lbs

After dominating the USHL at age 16, Andrei Svechnikov is now having an outstanding rookie season in the OHL. Andrei, younger brother to Detroit's Evgeny Svechnikov, is a big player who's speed equals his strength. He's got good foot speed, as well as a set of hands that help him create open ice for his team. He's got an elite release to his wrister, which has resulted in a 0.85G/game average. Svechnikov is currently scoring at a 1.3pts/game rate in the OHL.

4.  Vancouver Canucks

Filip Zadina / LW / LH / 6'1 / 192lbs

A creative player on the ice, Filip Zadina is the type of worker bee you want in your top 6. He is a dangerous goal scorer who has a nifty backhand shot, who can also dig the puck out during his strong work along the boards. Zadina's hockey sense is right up there, and he is known for making smart passes in the offensive zone. He's got elite skating but needs to work on his consistency if he wants to contribute in NHL in the near future, but we don't think that will be an issue for long if he continues his 1.4pts/game average in the QMJHL this season.

Link to Full Mock Draft

Thank you for reading! ::D

I really enjoyed the article.  It looks like you put in a lot of work here.

My only issue is the presumption of draft order.  Until the lottery is held, IMO, trying to align draft picks with teams is sort of pointless.  I don't even start getting my hopes up about any particular prospect until after the draft lottery.  Even based on the current standings, I would keep my eye on the top seven as we could wind up anywhere in there. 

I think it would be better as just draft rankings until we know the draft order.  Just my two cents.

4 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I really enjoyed the article.  It looks like you put in a lot of work here.

My only issue is the presumption of draft order.  Until the lottery is held, IMO, trying to align draft picks with teams is sort of pointless.  I don't even start getting my hopes up about any particular prospect until after the draft lottery.  Even based on the current standings, I would keep my eye on the top seven as we could wind up anywhere in there. 

I think it would be better as just draft rankings until we know the draft order.  Just my two cents.

Thanks for the feedback! The way we have this set up is so we update it every weekend for the new draft order so hypothetically people can check back in to see as the season gets closer to finishing who they could end up with! 

There used to be a site that did a similar idea without the scouting reports but it got shut down awhile back so we figured on making one ourselves!

1 minute ago, Salter said:

Thanks for the feedback! The way we have this set up is so we update it every weekend for the new draft order so hypothetically people can check back in to see as the season gets closer to finishing who they could end up with! 

Imagine if you could tie it into the NHL Lottery Simulator.  Good times!

9 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Pretty good list! However, I see the habs taking a center. Only thing is, not many near the top this year. Maybe they trade down? Either way, tkatchuk is a great player.

That's what we were thinking too. Before Detroit won last night, we had Noah Dobson, french D going to MTL at 6, but you don't pass up at Tkachuk at 5 IMO.

Think we gonna get

EVAN BOUCHARD / D / RH / 6'2 / 181LBS

Photo by Jason Franson/CP

Photo by Jason Franson/CP

Just barley missing the cut off date for the 2017 draft, Bouchard has been lighting up the OHL this season. He has a polished offensive skillset, great wheels, and can make crisp passes up the ice. He’s got the stats to back his skills up as well, with the 2nd most shots in the entire league, and leading all defenceman in points this season in the OHL. Evan Bouchard also has a solid defensive game, playing with excellent positioning and cutting off passing lanes. He is one of the more complete defenders in this draft.

• 1 month later...

Where is the 2018 draft thread?

If Canucks want NHL ready they draft Tkachuk.

But if they go by Long term need the obvious strength of this draft is d men.

Quinn Hughes reminds me of Nick Leddy I think he is a pretty relatively safe pick relatively you pair with a good defensive d man like Tanev.

He really likes to skate the puck and join the rush more than just a puck mover and plays on the same team as William Lockwood Canucks prospect.

The Canucks have had great success with NCAA American picks as well.

Boeser,Gaudette,Demko,.

They have a good development system there better than the CHL arguably the guys can fill out and work on their weaknesses.

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Where is the 2018 draft thread?

If Canucks want NHL ready they draft Tkachuk.

But if they go by Long term need the obvious strength of this draft is d men.

Quinn Hughes reminds me of Nick Leddy I think he is a pretty relatively safe pick relatively you pair with a good defensive d man like Tanev.

He really likes to skate the puck and join the rush more than just a puck mover and plays on the same team as William Lockwood Canucks prospect.

The Canucks have had great success with NCAA American picks as well.

Boeser,Gaudette,Demko,.

They have a good development system there better than the CHL arguably the guys can fill out and work on their weaknesses.

More consistent, but guys like Zadina and Bouchard play for 2 of the best organizations in the country.  We could comfortably send either back to junior and know they're getting outstanding coaching and development.  I see Hughes as being more of a 6-10 guy.

On 1/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering how this team lacks grit and toughness who has some skill, hard to think Canucks management pass over on a second Tkachuk.  I have a feeling Canucks are eyeing two guys either Brady Tkachuk or Evan Bouchard. 

I think if he is there if they draft 4th or 5th they take him - he's exactly what we need to play with the likes of Boeser and Petterson

Archived