The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] If Pierre-Luc Dubois slid down to #5, PK Subban would be a Vancouver Canuck

pluralsight

18 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

For whatever reason it was a mistake to get rid of PK Subban. At the time it was a pretty neutral trade except for Montreal getting a guy that’s 4 years older and a very long and soon to be unmovable contract if it isn’t already. Shea Weber is set to make just under 8 million for another 8 years until he’s 40. Add that to Carey Prices contract that ends on the same year paying him 10.5 million a year. They will soon be a black hole on Montreal’s cap. Kinda makes me feel better about Louis Eriksson.

Yip. Those two cost almost as much as McD and Drais. Looks bad now. Imagine as the years go by. Yikes. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Yip. Those two cost almost as much as McD and Drais. Looks bad now. Imagine as the years go by. Yikes. 

Price is already missing time yearly with injuries that kinda stuff doesn’t fade with years. I can’t believe it when people on our boards propose trades where we get Price. Would be a complete nightmare having Price locked in for 8 more years at 10.5 million a year. Mix that in with the cap repercussions if Luongo retires early.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I still think that trade, Subban for Weber, was the real start of collapse in Montreal. They traded the emotional core of their team in that trade, Bergevin should really be fired for that trade alone!

Yup. Subban should of been their captain. not patches.  He was their emotional leader you could see it on the ice.  

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Yup. Subban should of been their captain. not patches.  He was their emotional leader you could see it on the ice.  

Absolutely agree. When they needed a spark in a game, Subban was the guy who put the team on his back and did whatever was necessary to give them one. Lead by example, didn't wait for others. Sadly, that's probably a big part of his downfall there. Makes you wonder if they will ever get themselves right again without a lot of rebuilding work under a management structure that recognizes initiative and natural leadership.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Absolutely agree. When they needed a spark in a game, Subban was the guy who put the team on his back and did whatever was necessary to give them one. Lead by example, didn't wait for others. Sadly, that's probably a big part of his downfall there. Makes you wonder if they will ever get themselves right again without a lot of rebuilding work under a management structure that recognizes initiative and natural leadership.

Yeah I think they didnt like how Subban was becoming bigger then the brand.  But to be honest he was only an extension of the brand.  they're mental hang up on that cost them what they had.  I think their GM needs to go.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah I think they didnt like how Subban was becoming bigger then the brand.  But to be honest he was only an extension of the brand.  they're mental hang up on that cost them what they had.  I think their GM needs to go.

100% agree with you!

Subban would have been great, but like others have said it would have just delayed our rebuild. With Subban they wouldn't have been nearly as bad and probably would have just missed out on the playoffs, for a couple years maybe getting in once. No Petterson, no Lind, no Juolevi. Not to mention no Dahlen or Goldy as Canucks wouldn't have sold at the deadline. So we would be here in 2018 without 5 of our best prospects. (Not counting Gaudette). And the rest of the time we had Subban under contract this team would be rebuilding and trying to become a playoff team again for 5-7 years. 

To slide down to 5th PLD would have had to get by Edmonton. Even if Edmonton did not want him Montreal would have made the same offer to them, and Edmonton - void of any D and further along in their rebuild and stocked with forward talent- would have been dumb to pass up a legit #1 d to add to their roster.

Its all BS because he would have never fallen to Vancouver.

16 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Price is already missing time yearly with injuries that kinda stuff doesn’t fade with years. I can’t believe it when people on our boards propose trades where we get Price. Would be a complete nightmare having Price locked in for 8 more years at 10.5 million a year. Mix that in with the cap repercussions if Luongo retires early.

No kidding. Would sooner see a six year max on contracts.

3 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

well we have the opportunity to do similar again with OEL or EK lol I hope we can just find our own diamond in the rough rather than acquiring. Though EK would look pretty in blue 

Would prefer OEL. But ya I'm buying what your selling. 

5 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

To slide down to 5th PLD would have had to get by Edmonton. Even if Edmonton did not want him Montreal would have made the same offer to them, and Edmonton - void of any D and further along in their rebuild and stocked with forward talent- would have been dumb to pass up a legit #1 d to add to their roster.

I agree. But it wouldn't surprise me if Tanev was in the deal. We will never know and JB would never release that info. If this were the case I'm glad we didn't do it. 

7 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Why do these tidbits come out later? So we can be trolled by the talking heads.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

Why do these tidbits come out later? So we can be trolled by the talking heads.

so true, this topic alone can occupy 3 days worth of "analysis" by the radio / newspaper experts....cant wait for the fall out..

12 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

For whatever reason it was a mistake to get rid of PK Subban. At the time it was a pretty neutral trade except for Montreal getting a guy that’s 4 years older and a very long and soon to be unmovable contract if it isn’t already. Shea Weber is set to make just under 8 million for another 8 years until he’s 40. Add that to Carey Prices contract that ends on the same year paying him 10.5 million a year. They will soon be a black hole on Montreal’s cap. Kinda makes me feel better about Louis Eriksson.

Montreal ownership was not thrilled with him competing with their brand.  The Predators approached it differently - one of the first things Poile did was to invite Subban's PR crew to discuss how they can collaborate.  It was an issue with ownership - the PK brand taking that much space.  Nashville embraced it and do a lot of co-marketing.  Poile was very open about everything that they had to investigate before making the move.

PK has a larger than life personality and has matured a lot in Nashville.  Fisher admitted that he had multiple discussions with Subban to get him to understand what they were trying to do.  It's Fisher that got Subban to understand how he can still play his game but had to respect the overall system of the team.   Subban really did not look good when he started in Nashville.  In Montreal he wasn't respecting their system - Carey Price gave an interview to Friedman about that.  He probably would not have become as good as he is now in Montreal.  The Predators system also fits his style of play.  Weber fits Montreal's better.

Archived