The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] If Pierre-Luc Dubois slid down to #5, PK Subban would be a Vancouver Canuck

pluralsight

Glad this didn't go thru..don't like this Kid's character.

***Before***someone suggests some subversive race garbage.

Iginla, Seth Jones, Nurse, Simmonds..would Love to have any of these talented blokes(past teams, or now, depending age) on Van.

Subban's personality seems rather polarizing. Last yr the media was contrasting the Preds(players) homecoming tributes for Weber, vs Habs for PK. Quite the diff.

Then consider our old NTC's/contract composition was not too lovely to toss in a 9 mill cap-hit.

How would this guy's outspoken style have meshed with the twins, Edler, Bo & others?

In summary: Friedman's a pompous windbag, desperately groping & grasping for relevancy, in a period of time where numerous posters(on various websites) leave random musings, that are far more interesting than his gossipy revisionisms. He's empty calories(with obese chin) in a suit, trying to justify his mundane existence.

Losing that lottery is possibly one of the best things to happen to the team then.

It forced ownership to be patient and accept things.  PLD would have been an amazing Canuck as well but PK Subban would have done little good for this team in the short term or long run as ownership would have expected results.  Which this team with its little depth no cap space and nil prospects would have been able to provide.

PK Subban would not magically make the twins 90 point players again, nor made Chaput a 50 point guy; we might still have Willie D behind the bench and no Petterson, Lind, Gadjovich etc etc etc etc

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In summary: Friedman's a pompous windbag, desperately groping & grasping for relevancy, in a period of time where numerous posters(on various websites) leave random musings, that are far more interesting than his gossipy revisionisms. He's empty calories(with obese chin) in a suit, trying to justify his mundane existence.

Pompous huh, except he's still one of if not the most credible hockey analysts and reporter not named Bob McKenzie and is usually far mroe successful at sourcing out rumours and trades than 90% of the NHL reporting field

Added management/ownership in fact DID say that yes this trade would have happened and we have you making statements about character in Subban than calling freidman names for...why again?

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Pompous huh, except he's still one of if not the most credible hockey analysts and reporter not named Bob McKenzie and is usually far mroe successful at sourcing out rumours and trades than 90% of the NHL reporting field

Added management/ownership in fact DID say that yes this trade would have happened and we have you making statements about character in Subban than calling freidman names for...why again?

Not a fan of this guy..no problem if you disagree with me on that, Warhippy.

Trading a 5th OA during a rebuild is not a good look. I'd rather have Dubois or Juolevi in our situation than a 28YO on a massive contract. Subban's career window of prime play just doesn't match up with our rebuild timeline well enough to give that sort of value away.

21 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Glad this didn't go thru..don't like this Kid's character.

***Before***someone suggests some subversive race garbage.

Iginla, Seth Jones, Nurse, Simmonds..would Love to have any of these talented blokes(past teams, or now, depending age) on Van.

Subban's personality seems rather polarizing. Last yr the media was contrasting the Preds(players) homecoming tributes for Weber, vs Habs for PK. Quite the diff.

Then consider our old NTC's/contract composition was not too lovely to toss in a 9 mill cap-hit.

How would this guy's outspoken style have meshed with the twins, Edler, Bo & others?

You know, it's one of those things where if you hadn't said that, I wouldn't think it. But you put it out there so now it's in my head. Go figure.

They seem to be pretty much the same: emotional tribute video followed by a standing ovation:

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

PK Subban & Guds would have made a VERY effective pairing.

An intriguing "what if" scenario.

Blueline is essentially rebuilt around PK, Tanev, Guds and whoever.

PK and Gudbranson are both RHD, a commodity of its own wasted by making one play on their off side.

Subban plays left on the PP, but Guddy wont be there with him under any circumstances.

At different time in the Canucks history, they almost has Gretzky, Guy Lafleur, Subban....(insert player here).

All in all there are always lots of these interesting tidbits that come out after the fact. They make for interesting stories and usually we can look back and be happy that they never occurred. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You know, it's one of those things where if you hadn't said that, I wouldn't think it. But you put it out there so now it's in my head.

Yeah..undercurrents like that have gone on with the game for decades. Some of it is overt & ugly. Seens interviews with Iginla, Simmonds, where they've related experiences of racism, unfortunately.

Due to the socio-economic aspect, we haven't seen minorities break through in ice hockey, comparable with other main sports.

13 minutes ago, richado said:

Trading a 5th OA during a rebuild is not a good look. I'd rather have Dubois or Juolevi in our situation than a 28YO on a massive contract. Subban's career window of prime play just doesn't match up with our rebuild timeline well enough to give that sort of value away.

I think at that point if the deal had gone through, it would be more about making the playoffs rather than rebuilding. Not that I would have agreed with that, but if this supposed deal had fallen through, I think the mindset had changed to full rebuild instead.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah..undercurrents like that have gone on with the game for decades. Some of it is overt & ugly. Seens interviews with Iginla, Simmonds, where they've related experiences of racism, unfortunately.

Due to the socio-economic aspect, we haven't seen minorities break through in ice hockey, comparable with other main sports.

Or just look at Twitter after Subban got under Bruins' fans' skin in the 2014 playoffs: n-word this, monkey that.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Or just look at Twitter after Subban got under Bruins' fans' skin in the 2014 playoffs: n-word this, monkey that.

I think the same thing happened when Ward(Wash) ended their season in OT? ..Karmic wheel?

btw^ regarding your above clips, I saw an interview(mid-season, last yr?), where I think Shannon showed how different the benches were(Subban/Weber) for the two star's respective homecomings. Certainly was a contrast.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hockey is a majority sport in Canada, Afro-American populations are a minority.

By contrast, in the suburbs of LA they are an overwhelming majority along with Hispanic demographics.  Where the key sports are football, baseball basketball.  And what are those sports dominated by? And, point of fact, cultures seem to identify with their own, well, culture?  Only a % of black kids seem to grow up with hockey. They still tend to identify & gravitate to Basketball, football...  

While it certainly exists, its not all racism in terms of participation is my point?  

15 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

PK and Gudbranson are both RHD, a commodity of its own wasted by making one play on their off side.

Fair enough; though it's not unheard of a Stanley Cup finalist having a blueline entirely composed of left side D (granted it didn't hurt having Pronger being one of those D).

Archived