The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yes or no to the Sedin’s next year?

Toyotasfan

Yes or No to 1 more year of the Sedins  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Sedin’s next year?

• Yes - 1 more year
    • No - time to retire

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/27/2018 at 07:00 AM

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Austin Watson, Malkin, Reaves,  then Tampa has pretty beefy D

We are looking up to each of those teams physically.

And those are your small teams.

196 lbs average for tampa bay 

197 lbs average for Pitts 

202 lbs average for canucks

All 3 teams with same average height at 6'1

6 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

hoping they sign for 2.5 each, that'd be nice.

So you pay them on par with Gagner or DelZotto? what a low ball offer. They won't come back for that, it's insulting. They still produce like good 2nd/1st liners in the league, their agent would laugh at that offer.

9 hours ago, Slegr said:

One year for $2.5 million each, and they'd be third liners, on the 2nd PP unit. 

Anymore than this holds us back. We need a couple upgrades. 2.5 gives us 9 to help the team move forward.. All this market value "thorton got 8m.. " talk scares me. The have had a good first half of the season.. Like last few years they will probably slow down.. Sign tavres and kane and pray tryamkin comes back. Peterson Ju and lind guadette. We have skill coming time to move on if it isnt an extremely good deal.

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think we wait and decide about the trade deadline...............

Then if it is unclear, wait until Draft day, and see who we get

Then think about it some more until July 1st

If we sign Tavares then no we don't sign them

If we don't, invite them to training camp

Evaluate the talent that is in camp

If the talent is good enough to honestly play in the NHL, then no

If the talent has still not matured, then sign them

Pretty simple actually!

In saying all that, they have only scored 16 goals between the 2 of them......not a lot of offense really!

If the 5 million per  Sedins rumour is true, than just add them up and go after Tavares.  I always thought they would resign for 3-4 million one year deals if they came back, but as one poster early on said Thornton  got 8 million for one year after a 50 point season.... 

The last thing I think anyone wants is keeping them on past their expiration date, but I wouldn't mind one more year playing with Pettersson and helping him out  etc.  It looks like they could challenge for 45-fifty points again this year, with three less minutes of ice time so no further regression production wise from last season, plus they played well when they needed to be the guys scoring too.  

I honestly don't care what we do, both have pros and cons.  But one more year at most, or Tavares for no more than Kopitar money.

17 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Anymore than this holds us back. We need a couple upgrades. 2.5 gives us 9 to help the team move forward.. All this market value "thorton got 8m.. " talk scares me. The have had a good first half of the season.. Like last few years they will probably slow down.. Sign tavres and kane and pray tryamkin comes back. Peterson Ju and lind guadette. We have skill coming time to move on if it isnt an extremely good deal.

Nice dream, Tavares ain't signing here and the twins won't sign for 2.5. Kane is a bit of a mystery, so far this management group has not wanted any player with issues surrounding him Linden especially.

I don't anticipate any of the prospects to be NHL ready next season (Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind and maybe Gaudette) all could use a little seasoning in the AHL adjusting to the pro / North American game. As much as everyone is super excited for the new wave, it's important not to rush the kids. So if Danny and Hank can act as one year stop gaps while teaching the youth how to be professionals on and off the ice. Why not have them back (at the right price)?

9 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

True but at the same time I don't see anyone that can step into their spot and get 55 points/season

In theory? 

We could sign Kane, he's good for 50 +/- points (and likely more actual goals). Add Gaudette and Pettersson who you can probably count on for 25 each conservatively while getting the Sedin's sheltered ozone minutes and some pp time.

Voila 100 points replaced +/-.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be under the impression that just because we have money, the big ticket UFAs will automatically sign. This isn't NHL 18. Tavares isn't signing just because we offer the most money. 

Also, let's not discount how important it is to have the Sedins as leaders especially when the guy who is being hailed as the future of the franchise is Swedish (Pettersson and perhaps Dahlin or Boqvist if we are lucky). Having them here to help the kids develop is key to the future vitality of the franchise. Look how often the twins are cited as mentors by both Brock and Bo. More so than their on-ice productivity (which isn't even terrible) this is where the Sedins have extreme value to the Canucks

I think they have shown that despite their deficiencies and sloooowwww skating that they can still be effective players as long as they are sheltered and their time is limited.  They are not first line players anymore and not even 2nd line players, really.  They are more 3rd liners who can be deployed on the pp. If they are willing to get paid as such (and I imagine they would be if they want to play another year) then I have no problems with keeping them on for next season.  They are great mentors and I feel that they deserve to be here as the team is rebuilt around them. 

While we have a lot of solid players coming down the pipe, I think if our plan is to ship out Vanek that having the Sedins shouldn't create TOO much of a glut and might even breed some healthy competition for players trying to get into our bottom 6.  At least for one more year. After that, I feel we are going to have a glut of talented forwards and they will also be one year older.  

I say 1 more year, 2m each.  I know that might seem low, but if you consider Vanek's point to price ratio I think it's pretty reasonable.  Besides, Sedins are all class and have made so much money over the years I don't think they really care too much what they get paid.

Archived