The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed? (Discussion/Poll)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you want Jim Benning re-signed?  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

However if ownership is demanding playoffs as soon as next year trading Edler would kind of hurt those chances.

Next year is still not our year as Canuck fans.

Playoffs more likely in 2019 - 2020 or  2020 - 2021 

It is very important for our club to get the timing right on this.  Not make roster moves to go for the playoffs too early before we ( our new core )  are naturally ready

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Next year is still not our year as Canuck fans.

Playoffs more likely in 2019 - 2020 or  2020 - 2021 

It is very important for our club to get the timing right on this.  Not make roster moves to go for the playoffs too early before we ( our new core )  are naturally ready

I never said otherwise.

I'm saying ownership may have different thoughts than the fans.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I never said otherwise.

It is going to great as a Canuck fan when our club starts to turn the corner and climb our way back up the standings.

Painful in the basement and not having the prime players on the club strong enough to do the heavy lifting....

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

It is going to great as a Canuck fan when our club starts to turn the corner and climb our way back up the standings.

Painful in the basement and not having the prime players on the club strong enough to do the heavy lifting....

In times like these I try to just shift my focus to the positives. Look at all the great things our prospects are doing right now.

We also have some pieces to acquire picks and prospects at the deadline, and if the trend continues a shot at the draft lottery.

Until then I'm just gonna be cheering on the young guys and hoping in the end we can get a top 3 pick.

Overwhelming amount of people wanting Benning to stay.

I'm glad they can see the positives out of the sadness of the last 3 years. 

Not all his moves have turned out, I think he's won more trades then loss, the sad thing is, whatever he's doing, just haven't worked. 

Personally I think Turning McCann, 2nd rounder and Shinkaruk into Gudbranson, Grandlund and Baertchi were awesome moves, not to mention Hansen and Burrows into Dhalen and Goldobin.   Turning Pedan and a 4th rounder into Pouliot is a good risk free project.  Sure he's a turn over guy, but when he plays, its upwards to 18-20 minutes.

what's happening right now reminds me of Burkes first few years with the team, without the good drafting, Burke had the Sedins, he also missed the playoffs the 1st 2 seasons, turned Bure and Mogilny into Jovo and Morrison, Benning hitting home run picks with Boeser, and Pettersson, I think we got a keeper in Juolevi he will take a few years longer, not to mention hitting home runs with our non 1st rounders (Demko, LInd, Gaudette, Man Child)Doing this while with the new B.S Lottery rules, were a team can drop 4 spots, epic B.S, but he is still doing his best to pick up some gems.

Let Benning see through his build full on. It's a rebuild.

Like seriously Aquillini already screwed things up when he hired Torterella against Gillis's advice.  Don't &^@# this up.  Canucks is not a real estate business.  It's sports for crying out loud.

No seriously, I'm gonna have to send Francisco a message through his twitter to talk some sense into him.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

7 pts back of Buffalo

I think we are better than that and we can catch the Sabres

Problem is Florida and Montreal are tanking hard...   and making a run for us.

Desperate  times call for Desperate Actions i would think.....

What can we do to catch the Sabres ?   Dahlin is the holly grail . Dahlin is our Stanley Cup this year.

What can the Canucks do to put our club over the top this year and get the prize  ( Dahlin ) ? 

Send Boeser to Utica.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

7 pts back of Buffalo

I think we are better than that and we can catch the Sabres

Problem is Florida and Montreal are tanking hard...   and making a run for us.

Desperate  times call for Desperate Actions i would think.....

What can we do to catch the Sabres ?   Dahlin is the holly grail . Dahlin is our Stanley Cup this year.

What can the Canucks do to put our club over the top this year and get the prize  ( Dahlin ) ? 

Create a machine that scrambles the lottery balls in our favour.  Or convince the NHL to go back to the old system, tank hard and still hope we get the first overall...but at least we'd be gauranteed second if we have the worst record right?  Or just change our balls logos to EDM s, then wash them off and say surprise! when they come out as the Oilers. 

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Send Boeser to Utica.

Ouch.... 

Your right.  We send Boeser down to the AHL and  we for sure get Dahlin......

What about sitting Hank and Danny every 3-4 games over the rest of the season... ? 

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I can't help but thinking that ownership is not this colossally stupid. You don't get to where they are by being a completely clueless, dumb arse that doesn't listen to advise from the qualified people you've put in place to lead your organization.

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He did take BPA in his eyes - just not yours.    So you should fire him I guess as he will never agree with you.

I never mentioned a player I thought he should take, so it is not my BPA.

The BPA is from 12 scouting services/groups, at the very least 100's of different estimates. So according to you everyone, every professional scout is wrong but Benning even if he agreed with them once.

Benning's picks and scouting services rank for that player. Again since maybe I made it unclear.

Each number is the rank a service had for that player.

Of 12 different scouting draft lists Virtanen was ranked 6 th by 1 list and lower by the rest 7, 8, 12, 18, 10, 7, not in top 30,10, 11, 11, 10, 7. 

So it could be said Benning went off the board. Not BPA.

For Boeser - rankings - 14, 26, not in top 30, 25, 26, 27, 27, 9, 27, 14, not in top 30, 27  

So it maybe that Brock was BPA at 26

OJ rankings  - 6, 5, 9, 10, 9, 6, 11, 11, 6, 11, 6, 11. for dmen - Harder to figure so roughly Chychrun and Olli were even as when one was good the other close behind. But Chychrun was higher for most of the year

BPA - Tkachuck on all lists avg 4.5.

Yes, but for a 1 year extension. Need to know 2017 wasn't just a fluke and that Aqua truly is letting him run the show. I'm very happy with what the team did last offseason and draft, but I'm still iffy on management's assessment of pro-level players, particularly in signings/trades, and just asset management in general. We're still too reactive (wait and see what certain players' decisions are before committing to a move rather than dictate the events), but we're coming along.

2014-16 leaves much to be desired considering the assets we had and where our rebuild could have been. Aside from Boeser.

Listening TL interview on 1040 right now.  From what I've heard so far it's a total waste of radio wave as TL sounds like a broken record. 

"we have young guys being developed blah blah so future is bright blah blah..."

"I like our team right now we just had injury problems we'll get better blah blah..."

"JB did a good job and we had a discussion blah... but we are now focusing on the future blah blah..."

The host are not sucking up and asking some tough questions, but Linden just keeps beating around the bush. I know his job isn't easy, but I don't see a point of having an interview if being a parrot is all he wants.

Benning love him or hate him is the perfect gm for a contending team (hopefully we’re there again sometime soon) the draft picks he’s made 20 overall and higher are arguably tops in the league since he’s taken over. He’s definitely a gm I would have confidence on the draft floor even if had traded his 1st for a rental for a playoff run

20 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I never mentioned a player I thought he should take, so it is not my BPA.

The BPA is from 12 scouting services/groups, at the very least 100's of different estimates. So according to you everyone, every professional scout is wrong but Benning even if he agreed with them once.

Benning's picks and scouting services rank for that player. Again since maybe I made it unclear.

Each number is the rank a service had for that player.

Of 12 different scouting draft lists Virtanen was ranked 6 th by 1 list and lower by the rest 7, 8, 12, 18, 10, 7, not in top 30,10, 11, 11, 10, 7. 

So it could be said Benning went off the board. Not BPA.

For Boeser - rankings - 14, 26, not in top 30, 25, 26, 27, 27, 9, 27, 14, not in top 30, 27  

So it maybe that Brock was BPA at 26

OJ rankings  - 6, 5, 9, 10, 9, 6, 11, 11, 6, 11, 6, 11. for dmen - Harder to figure so roughly Chychrun and Olli were even as when one was good the other close behind. But Chychrun was higher for most of the year

BPA - Tkachuck on all lists avg 4.5.

All that means nothing.  HIS BPA is not from some magical combination of Google derived lists.   Your issue is his BPA is not your BPA.   

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

All that means nothing.  HIS BPA is not from some magical combination of Google derived lists.   Your issue is his BPA is not your BPA.   

I think your argument of this derives from believing that Benning etal are GODS and are perfect and that everyone is wrong except them. Or trolling.

Again at no time have I posted who I thought they should have drafted after the fact. I simply point out that other team's draft picks around the same as these guys are, have been contributors already or simply on NHL teams and that this group's picks are not even on the Canucks "development team", Utica.

Those numbers are from professionals such as central scouting service, NHL scouting, international scouting service.

Find the sources that support your position that I posted incorrect information

Then again I may be wrong and all your posts are sarcasm.::D

Archived