The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rugby World Cup - Japan 2019

Scottish⑦Canuck

On 10/3/2019 at 4:48 PM, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

GOD our Canadian rugby team is horrible, i watched the NZ game and we got rekt hard ....well atleast US sucking too, but god our team is rough lol, i thought our rugby team was better, did we lose some prominent players or something?

Nope 

canada rugby is alltime low right now 

maybe toronto arrows . Seatlle seawolves, and victorias new development program (csd) can help

The England v France and New Zealand v Italy matches will be cancelled.

For matches that do not go ahead as scheduled, two points will be awarded to each team in line with tournament rules.

Scotland’s fate still hangs in the balance after tournament organisers said they would wait until Sunday morning to decide if the Scots’ final and decisive pool match against Japan would go ahead that evening.

Tournament director, Alan Gilpin, said Scotland, who would need a strong victory over Japan in order to make it through the group stage, would not be given special treatment. “Italy are in exactly the same position Scotland are in,” he said. “We won’t be treating that match, if it can’t be played, any differently.”

Scotland now have legal advice that games cancelled due to weather can be rescheduled.

The cynic in me points to the outright cancellation of the Italy-NZ game as being as much about justifying forcing Japan into the last 8 as anything else. The schedule (always playing teams on their shortest rest) and refereeing has been very kind on Japan (end of Samoa game, Ireland getting clarification that most of the penalties awarded against them in their Japan game were wrong, etc). World Rugby are making FIFA look good right now.

3 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Scotland now have legal advice that games cancelled due to weather can be rescheduled.

The cynic in me points to the outright cancellation of the Italy-NZ game as being as much about justifying forcing Japan into the last 8 as anything else. The schedule (always playing teams on their shortest rest) and refereeing has been very kind on Japan (end of Samoa game, Ireland getting clarification that most of the penalties awarded against them in their Japan game were wrong, etc). World Rugby are making FIFA look good right now.

The number one priority is the safety of the Japanese people and travelling fans. No one is upset at a forced cancellation - it's the total lack of a contingency plan that makes World Rugby so incompetent.

I'm a little disappointed in the Italian Rugby Federation accepting it with a whimper. Not only is it unfair on the Italian squad and fans, but it also gives WR the perfect reason to cancel and not reschedule Sunday's game.

2 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

The number one priority is the safety of the Japanese people and travelling fans. No one is upset at a forced cancellation - it's the total lack of a contingency plan that makes World Rugby so incompetent.

I'm a little disappointed in the Italian Rugby Federation accepting it with a whimper. Not only is it unfair on the Italian squad and fans, but it also gives WR the perfect reason to cancel and not reschedule Sunday's game.

A game can just be cancelled, and not rescheduled?  That's kind of archaic thinking, isn't it?  It's the friggin' World Cup!  Does soccer do this in their World Cup?

3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

No one thinks those have should have gone ahead add originally scheduled, but no-one thinks they should have just been cancelled.

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A game can just be cancelled, and not rescheduled?  That's kind of archaic thinking, isn't it?  It's the friggin' World Cup!  Does soccer do this in their World Cup?

The soccer world cup won't be in an unstable region for another 3 years!

On 10/11/2019 at 8:16 AM, EagleShield said:

To be fair, it is one of the largest typhoon in history....