The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On acceptance...

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Positivity, that can't stand.

I think part of the problem is the media here.  A lot of people aren't terribly comfortable with the written word and so things come off as blunt or combative when we are just having a discussion.  Yes sometimes it devolves to name calling but the is human nature especially in the anonymous bully age of the internet.

There is also a tendency to group people together.  Flames fans are morons who watch hockey in a stupid upside down dome, Oiler's fans smell like they have been working in the fields all day and don't know what a shower looks like.  It is easy to group people into easy to understand characterizations when really these fan sites represent a hugely diverse group with people of all ages scattered across the globe.

While some of us are trolls most of us are just fans but even then have a difference of opinion.  Being Canucks fans we are generally fairly justifiably frustrated but also grasping at straws to find something positive.  I know I have gotten into various debates with people over differing opinions on varying players, sometimes those debates get colourful but my intent is always good natured.  

Then there's @Rob_Zepp he's just nuts.  (I kid Rob, I mostly enjoy your posts though don't know where you find the time to post that much)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think part of the problem is the media here.  A lot of people aren't terribly comfortable with the written word and so things come off as blunt or combative when we are just having a discussion.  Yes sometimes it devolves to name calling but the is human nature especially in the anonymous bully age of the internet.

There is also a tendency to group people together.  Flames fans are morons who watch hockey in a stupid upside down dome, Oiler's fans smell like they have been working in the fields all day and don't know what a shower looks like.  It is easy to group people into easy to understand characterizations when really these fan sites represent a hugely diverse group with people of all ages scattered across the globe.

While some of us are trolls most of us are just fans but even then have a difference of opinion.  Being Canucks fans we are generally fairly justifiably frustrated but also grasping at straws to find something positive.  I know I have gotten into various debates with people over differing opinions on varying players, sometimes those debates get colourful but my intent is always good natured.  

Then there's @Rob_Zepp he's just nuts.  (I kid Rob, I mostly enjoy your posts though don't know where you find the time to post that much)

Recently been viewing the increasing trend of sports-fanaticism in a little more sobering fashion. Without getting too long-winded, I think it (over?)compensates for other things folks might have missing from their lives. At backdrop, is a widening gap between the haves & nots.

If you can't live the life one aspires to, turn to religion, culture or sport, (perhaps living vicariously)? Thus, stakes get raised in that particular realm, leading mostly to what we currently observe. All exacerbated by a 24/7(all-seeing) instantaneous form of communication, to keep everyone wound up.

It's one reason I've decided to take a year's break.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Recently been viewing the increasing trend of sports-fanaticism in a little more sobering fashion. Without getting too long-winded, I think it (over?)compensates for other things folks might have missing from their lives. At backdrop, is a widening gap between the haves & nots.

If you can't live the life one aspires to, turn to religion, culture or sport, (perhaps living vicariously)? Thus, stakes get raised in that particular realm, leading mostly to what we currently observe. All exacerbated by a 24/7(all-seeing) instantaneous form of communication, to keep everyone wound up.

You will be back.

• Cheers 1

On 30/01/2018 at 8:48 PM, oldnews said:

They were 'expensive' but no relative to what they are now.

Ticket prices have risen considerably more than wages have.

In the 80s you could buy a good ticket for $30, or you could go to Safeway and get one for a fraction of that - $10/12.

Average wages on the other hand have not increased by 400 or 800%.

It's not quite as extreme as housing, but similarly, in the housing market you could buy houses for 50,000 to 100,000  that now sell for 500,000 to a million.

For young people hoping to own a home, the barriers are relatively extreme - a down payment alone now will cost you could buy a house outright for in those times.

I went to a game through my high School in Chilliwack for 5 bucks. And that included the bus ride   (nosebleeds tho) 

But I look at it this way, the access I have to watch every single game is pretty cheap. And I enjoy the TV games and my pvr.  I can record, pause, ff through commercials and skip any commentary with guys like tony gallager . And back in the day of the 5 buck tickets I had no cdc either.  My sister annoys the hell out of.me but I still love her. Kind of like my relationship with cdc or I wouldn't be here. 

Everything has changed and it's changed for the better overall. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

LOL.   I look at my totals per years here and it is on low end of many actually.    I also do this for a living (follow hockey) so it fits nicely.

However, I am also nuts for sure.   Lots of pucks to the head have taken a toll.

On topic, I cannot believe people think that they are somehow hard done by when something is random.   The odds are that Canucks will pick about 7th or so.   If higher, great.  If lower, whatever.   Worse they can pick is 9th and that will still give them a shot at a really good prospect.   It is OVER 10 TIMES  MORE LIKELY that Canucks will pick 6th to 9th than 1st overall.   Let that swim in your head for a second when you want people to be realistic.   Not getting first pick overall is "whatever" and move on.   

I don't get the fuss.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Whenever I come to this site, usually meander over to 'Prospects' section, to soak up the(mostly) good news.

When one prospect trends downwards, often seems arguments follow, & a number of told-you-so's with comparative prospects pop up. Feel tired just reading this stuff.

Personal feelings & skater-metrics/data from Hell. Do such obsessions compensate for other things that people may desire, regret, etc. in their lives?

Makes ya wonder?

Here's an idea: (Acceptance #1)

Bo, Jake, Brock, OJ, EP

How 'bout we accept this as our half-decade of fine 1st R youth, to get this rebuild rolling? Let's stop looking over the ****ing fence at the neighbours shiny new Porsche.

I'd be fine never hearing, "We shoulda' picked so & so", ever again. We missed Jags(yeah)..but we pilfered Bure. Hell with it, man. Accept, or forever whine & whinge.

Have said it before..historically(in general) drafting has burned our a$*, but trades have often helped to salvage seasons. Perhaps we're finally hitting on the draft %,

as we long needed?

**Acceptance #2***

Why not simply ACCEPT we had 3 GREAT runs, but have yet to reach the summit? See it as three separate teams of solid young guys who lauch assaults on 3 separate Himalayan summits.

Whether it's equipment, accidents, Avalanche(!)..whatever? The guys gave all they had(each time), & just came up short. Even still, they entertained the whole Prov of BC, with each attempt, & I'm proud of every group.

When this team finally reaches the pinnacle, it'll be wonderful, but I'll also spare a thought for the other great players who first set out, giving their best.

Call it foolish, but I love this team(good & bad memories alike).

I see trolls(media/fans) trying to get digs in on point #2. To me, this is one of the lowest levels humans can stoop to. So petty & childish. Why stop there? Why not call random 3rd W inhabitants, & trot out national gdp & food production data, for comparisons' sake?

Suggest to all true fans of the Canucks..don't get lulled into this divisive bs. Cheer your team on unconditionally. Toss the revisionist(oh, we shoulda' drafted...) into the freeken g can.

Acceptance baby.. GCG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no issue with people not accepting things but I really don't like when people slam kids who are just starting their careers and have not even set foot in NHL regular season locker room or are in their first couple of seasons.   I picture these people on their couches having had no similar chance in their lives all of a sudden feeling they have license to crap over these kids, create false narratives and generally assail their very character.   

What happened to supporting your players?   I can see being constructively critical on your veterans but the kids?   ANYONE who has played any advanced level of sport can confirm that you improve with support.    Sure, it is fine to want them to improve but crap comments that have a mean-spirited intention....why on earth would you do that to a kid?   I don't get it at all.   

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Um?  Should I be concerned for my safety?

Hey Nuxfan??? A year off?

Hope I misunderstood this, as you are one of my fav posters here bud.

Forgot all about this thread. Loved it the day you wrote it and still do. 

If you really intend to take some time off amigo, I hope we see you back soon. A light of positivity....

Sayonara Sensei...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Hey Nuxfan??? A year off?

Hope I misunderstood this, as you are one of my fav posters here bud.

Forgot all about this thread. Loved it the day you wrote it and still do. 

If you really intend to take some time off amigo, I hope we see you back soon. A light of positivity....

Sayonara Sensei...

Too darn kind, SP(must work in sales! :^)..got a coupla' things I want to work on. Wise ol' Asian bloke told me(many moons back) of the poor hapless fool who drills 30 holes, looking for the well of sustenance. I've only dug 27 or 28, so far!

With an addictive personality, I go 100 or 0%..& the missus will soon read the riot act, if I don't get my priorities straight! Another reason to take five. Take care, my friend.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Too darn kind, SP(must work in sales! :^)..got a coupla' things I want to work on. Wise ol' Asian bloke told me(many moons back) of the poor hapless fool who drills 30 holes, looking for the well of sustenance. I've only dug 27 or 28, so far!

With an addictive personality, I go 100 or 0%..& the missus will soon read the riot act, if I don't get my priorities straight! Another reason to take five. Take care, my friend.

Nah just an auld wind and saltwater showered seadog, who finally went ashore to a job that kept me at home and yet still connected to the sea. 

Know only too well the riot act being read by the missus, now that I’m home all the time. :)

Anyway you go do some more drilling amigo, and we’ll look forward to the next time, we hear from the land of the rising sun. 

• Cheers 1

Not sure why JB signalled disappointment with not moving up. Sounds like he needs some help with acceptance. His reaction caters somewhat to lottery conspiracy theories. The final rally at the end of the season was the difference between a top 4 and a top 10 result. Not a problem for me as I am happy with the Sendins' send-off.

Next year will be entertaining. Like last year, the team is not bridled with unrealistic expectations and can mature and develop before our eyes. Making the big show next season will be a sweet moment and the start of something very special. If JB is permitted to keep stocking the cupboard, the nucks will have a great and long up-swing.    I believe in this project.

• Cheers 1

• 3 months later...
On 2018-01-30 at 3:34 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Whenever I come to this site, usually meander over to 'Prospects' section, to soak up the(mostly) good news.

When one prospect trends downwards, often seems arguments follow, & a number of told-you-so's with comparative prospects pop up. Feel tired just reading this stuff.

Personal feelings & skater-metrics/data from Hell. Do such obsessions compensate for other things that people may desire, regret, etc. in their lives?

Makes ya wonder?

Bo, Jake, Brock, OJ, EP

How 'bout we accept this as our half-decade of fine 1st R youth, to get this rebuild rolling? Let's stop looking over the ****ing fence at the neighbours shiny new Porsche.

I'd be fine never hearing, "We shoulda' picked so & so", ever again. We missed Jags(yeah)..but we pilfered Bure. Hell with it, man. Accept, or forever whine & whinge.

Have said it before..historically(in general) drafting has burned our a$*, but trades have often helped to salvage seasons. Perhaps we're finally hitting on the draft %,

as we long needed?

**Acceptance #2***

Why not simply ACCEPT we had 3 GREAT runs, but have yet to reach the summit? See it as three separate teams of solid young guys who lauch assaults on 3 separate Himalayan summits.

Whether it's equipment, accidents, Avalanche(!)..whatever? The guys gave all they had(each time), & just came up short. Even still, they entertained the whole Prov of BC, with each attempt, & I'm proud of every group.

When this team finally reaches the pinnacle, it'll be wonderful, but I'll also spare a thought for the other great players who first set out, giving their best.

I see trolls(media/fans) trying to get digs in on point #2. To me, this is one of the lowest levels humans can stoop to. So petty & childish. Why stop there? Why not call random 3rd W inhabitants, & trot out national gdp & food production data, for comparisons' sake?

Suggest to all true fans of the Canucks..don't get lulled into this divisive bs. Cheer your team on unconditionally. Toss the revisionist(oh, we shoulda' drafted...) into the freeken g can.

Four months later, we now have two more ...

**Acceptance #3**

Beagle, Roussel, Schaller 

**Acceptance #4**

Linden has left the building

*A shiny new Porsche fell into our lap with Hughes, making your #1 (and perhaps #3) much easier to accept. Unfortunately, can't do much about #4 but accept. ;)

• Cheers 2

• 1 month later...

So happy to see Canucks hockey back again!

My expectations are tempered, but W/L/or draw, it's the drug of choice. So many posters bickering about what constitutes a "good fan". Prob best to try & determine/establish that yourself, then hopefully(!) adhere to it. (GL!)

Things I really like:

- We're FINALLY down near the bottom teams, in terms of overall team cap-expenditure(this gives GM's more flexibility/options) as seasons play out

- Whenever the injury bug bites, we've got so many interesting, dynamic options, that most here will be enthused to see(their relative progress, etc...)

- We can truly view this as a 'development yr', without the heavy backpack of contender-expectations

- So many individual skaters(& our 'tenders) are motivated to improve upon past performance

- Should we fall back, hosting the next draft is nice consolation(especially when drafting another great young stud, near the top)

Lastly, the media treat our org like shyte. MSM mostly make me wanna spew at the best of times, & sports journos are on the same slippery slope. F*** 'em..let's relish the role of underdogs, as our young collection tries to fight the odds.

Enjoy the season everyone!

GCG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :^)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2018 at 4:20 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Things I really like:

- We're FINALLY down near the bottom teams, in terms of overall team cap-expenditure(this gives GM's more flexibility/options) as seasons play out

- Whenever the injury bug bites, we've got so many interesting, dynamic options, that most here will be enthused to see(their relative progress, etc...)

- We can truly view this as a 'development yr', without the heavy backpack of contender-expectations

- So many individual skaters(& our 'tenders) are motivated to improve upon past performance

- Should we fall back, hosting the next draft is nice consolation(especially when drafting another great young stud, near the top)

Lastly, the media treat our org like shyte. MSM mostly make me wanna spew at the best of times, & sports journos are on the same slippery slope. F*** 'em..let's relish the role of underdogs, as our young collection tries to fight the odds.

Had to bump this (acceptance) thread. A yr ago when first posted, you really had to sell an angle to please all (but the diehards).

Went into this season, as gambling with house $. Now we're starting to climb, almost viewing a full roster(temporarily, of course!). Read a good commenter on SNET saying we FINALLY have a roster with virtually no filler. That, & a bunch of cap space/assets, should we decide to upgrade in any areas.

Now there IS faith in JB & TG. Media are trying to scurry onto a rolling bandwagon. Their knees are scarred(from serving Bettman), & they rip the arse of their trousers, as their fata$$es clamber onboard. More vicarious enjoyment & schadenfreude to indulge in.

Lastly, our prospects are progressing like the clockwork of (seemingly) every mid-season calendar. We're all coming to realize that we pilfered THREE 1st rounders last June, dissing the ****ing league(who were snickering) when they THOUGHT they'd shafted us!

This stuff sells itself nowadays! Now the trolls ought to ACCEPT that they were flat-out wrong!

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Makes ya wonder?

Bo, Jake, Brock, OJ, EP

as we long needed?

**Acceptance #2***

Thinking the cdc would implode if we ever got a cup... then of course demands for a 3peat or 5peat would surely follow and then it'd be a bitchfest if it didn't happen. Sadly people love to complain. 

I just do it about our government because well... they're useless..

• Cheers 1

Thank you sir for this great post and I wish we could do something about our salty horrible media folk we have in this market. If there was one thing I could get rid of to help with the mindset of this team and market it would be the stop of these so called “journalists” who get tired of the same ol cliches from players yet cry to momma management whenever they get a prickle in their eye for putting their head/opinions where they don’t belong. You as the media are cloaked to be the “voice of the fans” yet you have your own agenda to sell papers in a dying industry where you will manufacture whatever petty story you can come up with. 

You know it’s a slow news week when “prickly Pete” is a story. You should be thankful these athletes want to waste their time with your antics and questions. This negative narrative doesn’t help our teams cause to reach that ultimate goal and as a fan I feel bad that they bitch about being prickly when it’s just them doing a $€!##¥ job at their job. Be the solution not the problem but this media monster isn’t in it for the ultimate goal, but to make money for their employer and dying newspaper.

9FD6DEDF-CFA6-4EC1-A8CD-2DC8EB76C048.gif

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Had to bump this (acceptance) thread. A yr ago when first posted, you really had to sell an angle to please all (but the diehards).

Went into this season, as gambling with house $. Now we're starting to climb, almost viewing a full roster(temporarily, of course!). Read a good commenter on SNET saying we FINALLY have a roster with virtually no filler. That, & a bunch of cap space/assets, should we decide to upgrade in any areas.

Now there IS faith in JB & TG. Media are trying to scurry onto a rolling bandwagon. Their knees are scarred(from serving Bettman), & they rip the arse of their trousers, as their fata$$es clamber onboard. More vicarious enjoyment & schadenfreude to indulge in.

Lastly, our prospects are progressing like the clockwork of (seemingly) every mid-season calendar. We're all coming to realize that we pilfered THREE 1st rounders last June, dissing the ****ing league(who were snickering) when they THOUGHT they'd shafted us!

This stuff sells itself nowadays! Now the trolls ought to ACCEPT that they were flat-out wrong!

now the 'possible challenge' of accepting not being a lottery team (assuming there isn't a possible M.A.S.H.crash to end this season)....

that could also be difficult for #tanknation.

maybe they'll be consolded by the fact we never win in the lottery anyhow.

#self-made

• Cheers 1