The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumor] Canucks on the twins future and Gudbranson

Recap:

Twins
- Expectation is that the Twins will likely not decide their future til the offseason

- Will talk to Travis Green what their role is, and decide how they feel physically moving forward according to Darren Dreger.

Gudbranson

- Not a foregone conclusion he will be dealt, Canucks want to resign him and it has become a priority to resign him

- No formal contractual talks yet, but next 2 weeks, both sides likely to negotiate a multi-year contract according to Bob Mckenzie.

- Only if an extension does not happen, will he become an open season rental at the trade deadline. 

Nothing really new here, but just thought I'd help others be informed.

I am all for keeping Gudbranson. Perfect 4-6 guy on a good team IMO. Just sucks that because he is tall, he will end up with a non-team friendly contract. 

Not really sure the twins should have to give the Canucks notice for when they will retire. Regardless of the twins future, Canucks should be selling this deadline. Not making the playoffs.

I’m all for keeping GUd At the right price but he makes salo look like an iron man.i like what he brings when heathy its too bad that’s not very often.

Don’t really get the strategy of waiting till the 11th hour, talks could have started Jan 1st.

The pressure is now all on the Canucks, Gud will play and get paid either way but vancouver can’t afford to lose him for nothing and van  doesn’t have a lot of time to negotiate anymore or find the best deal.

I feel like Gud should have been  signed or put up for auction by this point. 

Benning doesn’t like the uncertainty with his contract  and how it has effected his family yet he hasn’t had any formal talks with Gud.

Deal with the sedins in the summer or after the TDL  besides It shouldn’t matter  to the Canucks what   their plans are.a low priority, Love em but that’s just the reality.

27 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Pretty scared to think what JB might be willing to pay EG

TO be honest he has be so injured I dont think Guddy has much leverage to ask for some sort of absurd contract. The 1 dimensional shutdown physical D are still relevant in the NHL but they arent going to cash in like Bogosian did imo. Guddy @ 4yr 16m is more than fair. He can be on the 2nd pair until a different RHD drops him out of that role. And with our depth I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Just need Big E to stay healthy for us!

Gudbranson should be on a playoff team. And like most people are saying; he will be too expensive considering what he brings to the table. Sure crushing hits and swagger personality is awesome. But only useful if in the playoffs. Trade him while he has some decent value. Let's call Tryamkin back to replace him. Besides, I think Biega is more effective overall despite his size. And I'm concerned with Gudbranson's durability due to his style of play... Two seasons with us so far: 30 games played last season, 32 games played so far this season. If we can get a 1st+, take it. JB's drafting ability is on point.

The trade Gudbranson thing was based on the assumption that he wanted more money than the Canucks were willing to pay.

Obviously we know neither.

This season's $3.5 x 1 was supposed to be a redo of last year because he played so little and the Canucks wanted to see more.  Guddy could have gone into free agency last year but he didn't presumably because he likes it in Vancouver.  I think there's a good chance his demands will be reasonable.

I would sure like a physical guy on the back end because there are too many sub 200 lb D on the Canucks and not enough gristle

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Anything over 3.5 is bad imo but it's the term that scares me the most.  Hoping for at most 3.5 x 3 and even 3 years seems to long, this guys legs could fall off any day now and he's never healthy.  3.75 x 4 seems plausible

Are any of his injuries cumulative or indicative of something that will linger for the rest of his career? 

Hes had terrible luck as a Canuck but it could very well just be that.

33 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The problem remains that he's making $3.5M and will want a raise.

How much is the issue.
If it's $5M+ Benning should immediately walk and flip him for something else we need.

There are a lot of good defencemen (better, more mobile, tougher, and with more scoring touch than Guddy) in the $4-5M  range on this list.... 

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

I mean if the guy could put up 15 or 20 points a season I could see it. But he's only put up 52 points in SEVEN YEARS. (7 points per year)

Not 100% against him staying but if Dorsett hadn't been forced to retire I think Guddys gone at the deadline. His only leverage the way I see it, is that he brings some "toughness" to a team that's now softer than an old man's peekaboo

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The trade Gudbranson thing was based on the assumption that he wanted more money than the Canucks were willing to pay.

Obviously we know neither.

This season's $3.5 x 1 was supposed to be a redo of last year because he played so little and the Canucks wanted to see more.  Guddy could have gone into free agency last year but he didn't presumably because he likes it in Vancouver.  I think there's a good chance his demands will be reasonable.

I would sure like a physical guy on the back end because there are too many sub 200 lb D on the Canucks and not enough gristle

I think Guddy was an RFA last year. He took a 1yr deal imo to bet on himself being healthy and having a good season in hopes to cash in on a long term big $ deal this summer.

If the twins leave, they will be replaced with more kids.  The more kids, the more Gudbranson makes sense to keep around. 

Gud isnt the best dman, but he’s a physical mature leader, something that’ll be desperately needed if the twins hang em up. 

Also if the Sedins don’t have an answer by the deadline, the more likely Vanek is retained as well.  

This is starting to feel like the the ugly ending between sundin and the leafs. 

If the twins cant make up their minds, and really really cared about the future of this team, they should make themselves available as rentals for a few months, just as burrows and bieksa did.   

Edit:  I realize bieksa wasn’t a rental acquisition...  but he waived because he was on board with helping this team build for its future.

Archived