The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumor] Canucks on the twins future and Gudbranson

3 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Anything over $3 million for Gudbranson is a bad deal for the Canucks.

If he's unwilling to take a cut from the $3.5 million hes currently making, trade him.

He’s not going to take a cut.  That’s just a ridiculous ask 

Just now, mll said:

Emelin is just under 3M in Nashville - Vegas retained part of his salary.  With Ellis back his ice time has dropped from 19min a night to 16min.  

Ekholm signed 6 years (1 RFA and 5 UFA seasons) for 3.75M.  

Doesn't matter who retains what, his cap hit is still 4.1M$, and like Gudbransson is labelled defensive/physical defenseman.

At the time of the signature, Ekholm had played +/- 150 NHL games in two nhl season...in Hindsight it was a steal by Nashville.  Gudbransson has 370 games scattered over 7 seasons.  Therefore I don't think it's a good comparable.

What a mess this is becoming.

Benning isn't re-signed, and I'm not sure what they're waiting for.

I'm assuming Benning is under great pressure to do the right thing, get the best return, for any players he trades.

I'm annoyed at the Sedins for being undecided if they want to return. How does Benning budget for that? Maybe Benning does all he needs to do and only has $2 million in cap left. Sorry Danny and Hank, we can only offer you $1 million next year, as that's all that is left. Take it or leave it.

I don't think we need Gudbranson, because we never really had Gudbranson. He's playing less than half seasons. When he's healthy, he hasn't dominated physically, like he is expected to do. I think Biega is a more physical D. So, we pay Guddy $4 million next year, but he only plays half the season. That's expensive for a guy who only plays half the time and doesn't do what he needs to.

If they want to be more physical, and save some dough, bring up Labate and sign Archibald.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Gudbranson WILL be overpaid. The Canucks, or elsewhere. He has most criteria working on his behalf.

--UFA

--Right hand shot

--Tough, character player that can give a team 18+ minutes in a 3rd pairing and move up to 2nd pairing on occasion.

--Loyal to team mates. Can, and will, stand up to the 'bully boys' of the NHL.

In my mind he signs around 4.5 mil with a 4 year deal.

Also:

PK's, second highest Dzone starts on D, second highest PDO on D.

Also '18+ minutes' isn't '3rd' pairing minutes'. That's 2nd pair territory. 1st pair is generally/roughly 22-28 minutes, 2nd is 16-22, 3rd is 16 and under. You also can't simply look at his ATOI as he's had a few games due to penalty, injury etc where he played very few minutes that is skewing a rather small sample size.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

How does Benning budget for that? Maybe Benning does all he needs to do and only has $2 million in cap left. Sorry Danny and Hank, we can only offer you $1 million next year, as that's all that is left. Take it or leave it.

That's exactly what should happen IMO. Make any move possible to improve, get younger, faster, harder to play against etc whether via draft, trade, UFA etc. Then see what's left for the twins if they want to come back.

They should be the last piece of the puzzle (if a piece at all) and will have to work (or not) within the cap framework  of whatever is left.

Gudbranson does bring more to the team than just toughness. He clears the crease and makes any opposing player second guess trying to take the puck to the net. That may seem like splitting hairs to some but imo it's an entirely different skill set and one worth having.

That being said it's not one you break the bank for.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's exactly what should happen IMO. Make any move possible to improve, get younger, faster, harder to play against etc whether via draft, trade, UFA etc. Then see what's left for the twins if they want to come back.

They should be the last piece of the puzzle (if a piece at all) and will have to work (or not) within the cap framework  of whatever is left.

I agree. The Canucks are a bottom feeder again this year, there will be no playoffs. A player like Gudbranson or Tanev could fetch a nice return. We have a big Swede on D who avoids confrontation like it's the plague. Why is there no pressure from the coaching staff for Edler to ramp up the physicality?

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, ones that play 4-5 minutes per game, if at all.  Same argument made against Sutter and Sbisa -- oh, you can just sign guys like that cheap in free agency.

Benning (and the league) are far more knowledgeable what Gudbranson-like players are worth.  If it was league minimum there would be ZERO interest in acquiring him.

the reason he pays that is to get him to sign the contract.... you would be surprised a lot of players don't want to come here.

22 minutes ago, sampy said:

This team is embarrassingly soft as is. If they trade Gudbranson they better have a backup plan or else every team coming to Vancouver know they have an easy night.

And how is being softer than other teams embarrassing? In case you have lived under a rock the past 20 years, hockey is more about skill than toughness now. Not that having an element toughness is a bad thing but you can't build around toughness like you can build around skill and succeed.

31 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Mixed messages coming from Canucks Management.  Sounds like they are still in disarray after 4 years in there direction they are going, or wanting to go.

Linden buys a vowel

Benning  Oh Oh pick me pick me.

Trebec/Aquilini  Jim please wait your turn and put your hand up.

lol

I think Benning has a far greater grasp on what the team needs than Linden. Jim is the architect, while Linden is really just the real estate agent.

Had to drive to the 'big smoke' this morning, as in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. Radio reception is very limited here. AM650 has a good signal, so I had the pleasure of listening to Satiar and Jawn. Three times during that 1/2 hour they mentioned  that the Demers for Gudbranson deal was a fact. If anyone has a link to this 'fact', please post the link. The trading of Demers was true. The inclusion of Gudbranson in that story has not been confirmed (....or has it ? ) Am I missing something ? I expect Pratt to blurt out non facts, but I don't know this pair well enough to have a bias.

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Gudbranson WILL be overpaid. The Canucks, or elsewhere. He has most criteria working on his behalf.

--UFA

--Right hand shot

--Tough, character player that can give a team 18+ minutes in a 3rd pairing and move up to 2nd pairing on occasion.

--Loyal to team mates. Can, and will, stand up to the 'bully boys' of the NHL.

In my mind he signs around 4.5 mil with a 4 year deal.

You gotta think he doesn't have much ground to stand on.

Gudbranson has NEVER played a full NHL season at age 26 (Close, but never 82)

Over the last 3 seasons he has played 126 games, not exactly an ironman.

I see more of a 'prove it' deal coming up after this year.

12 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Had to drive to the 'big smoke' this morning, as in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. Radio reception is very limited here. AM650 has a good signal, so I had the pleasure of listening to Satiar and Jawn. Three times during that 1/2 hour they mentioned  that the Demers for Gudbranson deal was a fact. If anyone has a link to this 'fact', please post the link. The trading of Demers was true. The inclusion of Gudbranson in that story has not been confirmed (....or has it ? ) Am I missing something ? I expect Pratt to blurt out non facts, but I don't know this pair well enough to have a bias.

Unless they can provide the source for their "truth" it's just another case of desperate, misinformed radio hacks trying to stay relevant in a sports market that's starved for news.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Also:

PK's, second highest Dzone starts on D, second highest PDO on D.

Also '18+ minutes' isn't '3rd' pairing minutes'. That's 2nd pair territory. 1st pair is generally/roughly 22-28 minutes, 2nd is 16-22, 3rd is 16 and under. You also can't simply look at his ATOI as he's had a few games due to penalty, injury etc where he played very few minutes that is skewing a rather small sample size.

Agree with everything you've said. It may not have been obvious, but I'm 100% pro Gudbranson (....and Gaunce, and Edler etc, etc. ) I'm all for re-signing him, but I know we  will will have to pay top dollar to avoid him going the UFA route.

Archived