The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumor] Canucks on the twins future and Gudbranson

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I disagree as they dropped the ball collectively on not seeing the direction the game was going.   2015, 3 on 3 was initiated and penalty rule changes which made smaller skilled players a more important role in the league.  They still thought bigger tougher was the direction and passed on highly skilled players that were available.    now they are playing catch up. and this is not in hindsight as we discussed this at length when the changes to the game were being initiated.

That direction changes every few years regardless. Skill and speed have taken an upswing, but remind me, is Matthews a small player?

It's easy to be a revisionist and use that as ammunition for an argument though. I assume you're alluding to Virtanen in the "they still thought bigger tougher was the direction" comment, which in and of itself is funny, as he's probably one of the faster skaters on the team. Sure, he hasn't made the same impact as Ehlers and Nylander, but he isn't exactly a seasoned vet either.

50 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Do pure defensive d-men get paid a lot?

Tanev is an example of such d-men, and he's making less than 4.5 (cap hit) a year with no limitations.

Can't see Gudbranson getting more than 5M.

Methot gets almost 5 million a year. Methot had proven himself worthy while paired with Karlsson. With Dallas, I'm not too sure.

IMO, he shouldn't be getting more than Tanev. If he wants to sign long term 4+ years, then I would give him max 4.75 a year. But I think it would be more beneficial to the team and probably to him after these last couple of seasons to sign a 2 year 4 million per year deal. If he wants significantly more, then we will have to just trade him unfortunately.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Benning has a far greater grasp on what the team needs than Linden. Jim is the architect, while Linden is really just the real estate agent.

This post explains my point of view on the matter, with perfect accuracy.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Had to drive to the 'big smoke' this morning, as in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. Radio reception is very limited here. AM650 has a good signal, so I had the pleasure of listening to Satiar and Jawn. Three times during that 1/2 hour they mentioned  that the Demers for Gudbranson deal was a fact. If anyone has a link to this 'fact', please post the link. The trading of Demers was true. The inclusion of Gudbranson in that story has not been confirmed (....or has it ? ) Am I missing something ? I expect Pratt to blurt out non facts, but I don't know this pair well enough to have a bias.

Welcome to the big hole as we like to call it or smoke or whatever it is these days lol...its home haha.

I still have not found anything to support the Gudbranson involvement. May just be rumour.

3 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Gudbranson does bring more to the team than just toughness. He clears the crease and makes any opposing player second guess trying to take the puck to the net. That may seem like splitting hairs to some but imo it's an entirely different skill set and one worth having.

That being said it's not one you break the bank for.

i 100% agree.  gudbranson brings element to his game the team could severely use but he has to come in at the right price tag.  hes a guy that reminds me ben hutton a bit.  he had his game figured out and was playing well around the age of 22-23 but has somehow lost what made him so effective. 

perhaps its a combination of past nux coaching and being battered with injuries. if anyone can fix gudbransons game i would say its green and baumer.  he showed glimpses of his former self the final game b4 the break.  lets hope they can make the most out of his next few games and see if that was a 1 off or if he can showup and play his game.  hes still a very young player who has lots of room to grow.  

i would like to see him workout.  fingerw crossed because we could really use a willie Mitchell / Chara type.   perhaps losing willie as a  affected him too.

Patterson interviewed Gudbranson today regarding the passive response to Lewis' hit on Boeser, to which Gudbranson said:

"I'm not the only guy that should do it on this team. I think there should have been a pushback. That's something that I bring & had I been on the ice there would have been something done a little differently."      

Couldn't agree more Guddy.

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Patterson interviewed Gudbranson today regarding the passive response to Lewis' hit on Boeser, to which Gudbranson said:

"I'm not the only guy that should do it on this team. I think there should have been a pushback. That's something that I bring & had I been on the ice there would have been something done a little differently."      

Cough virtanen cough. My god virt has been disappointing when it comes to physicality.... The main reason we drafted him. 

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Linden alluded to who was on the ice at the time -- Sedins and Edler, the latter whom gave him a little skate-up tap.

14 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Cough virtanen cough. My god virt has been disappointing when it comes to physicality.... The main reason we drafted him. 

I didn't see it/wasn't paying attention but apparently Virt did hit him later that game. 

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Three veterans who did essentially nothing for a rookie on their team who was boarded.....

This was a sickening site. I felt embarrassed for Boeser, because he has to play with certain team mates that don't have his back. Hate to say it, but if Boeser played in BOS, whoever boarded him would pay big time. I hate the Bruins, but they play hard and stick up for each other. Got to give them that.

Edler and the Sedins need to go. Period. I don't care if they lose a lot of games again next year. They'll lose anyway with the Sedins. This team needs to get tougher, because they have Boeser and will soon have Pettersson and Dahlen. They can't just rely on Virtanen and Gudbranson to do all of the physical stuff.

4 hours ago, RonMexico said:

And how is being softer than other teams embarrassing? In case you have lived under a rock the past 20 years, hockey is more about skill than toughness now. Not that having an element toughness is a bad thing but you can't build around toughness like you can build around skill and succeed.

Well Benning and Linden disagree with you, which is why they’re looking at resigning him. Pretty tough playing in the Pacific division without team toughness, just going to get walked all over and pushed around. No one is talking about the goon era, but definitely need team toughness, something Canucks lack big time.

11 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Had to drive to the 'big smoke' this morning, as in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. Radio reception is very limited here. AM650 has a good signal, so I had the pleasure of listening to Satiar and Jawn. Three times during that 1/2 hour they mentioned  that the Demers for Gudbranson deal was a fact. If anyone has a link to this 'fact', please post the link. The trading of Demers was true. The inclusion of Gudbranson in that story has not been confirmed (....or has it ? ) Am I missing something ? I expect Pratt to blurt out non facts, but I don't know this pair well enough to have a bias.

I don't think anything was ever "confirmed" but there was a lot of smoke around how Talon wanted Gudbranson back after Rowe et al traded him away. Apparently Demers invoked his NTC to block a trade to Vancouver (prick) and instead went to Phoenix (lol).

Archived