The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think the point of it is....  most people realize that the majority of posters here supporting the potential destruction of Vancouvers harbour...... are the same people that profit from their over paid jobs in the patch.     Many of us do not profit from big oil and so we have a much more well rounded opinion of the  benefits and costs of any expanded terminal / tanker traffic in Vancouver harbour. 

No, majority of people HERE who support the pipeline are simply not under-educated brainwashed eco-hippies and massive hypocrites like you. I work in software. 
Most people in BC support the pipeline and they dont work in the oil patch either. 

You have trash for opinion. Simply because the risks of oil spillage, the ecological footprint, etc. are all TECHNICAL questions - something you are not even remotely qualified to have an opinion on. Your opinion on whether vancouver harbor is at risk more with oil shipping or with cruise ships is LITERALLY as valid as your opinion on how to fix the thrusters on a space shuttle. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Love to read how people paid big dollars to work in the oil patch .... think Vancouver citizens need to take on Potential risk of an oil spill in our harbour.....

Oil industry is a dying industry and Albertas bust and boom economy  must be hard on its citizens.    Just because Alberta is dying economically right now does not mean Vancouver citizens have to risk our inner harbours environment and tourism economy. 

Its really too bad Alberta did not do a better job with the management its Heritage Fund...  maybe if they had the province would not be in the  situation today they are in. 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Love to read how people paid big dollars to work in the oil patch .... think Vancouver citizens need to take on Potential risk of an oil spill in our harbour.....

I  live in Vancouver, mate. I am pro- oil pipeline. You don't get to label it in binary 'us from here vs them from there' terms. 

Oil industry is a dying industry

Nope. Oil production is going up, not down. We may run out of it, but by any definition, an industry that is expanding its production is *not* dying industry. 

and Albertas bust and boom economy  must be hard on its citizens.    Just because Alberta is dying economically right now does not mean Vancouver citizens have to risk our inner harbours environment and tourism economy. 

Most of BC is pro-pipeline, mate. 

Its really too bad Alberta did not do a better job with the management its Heritage Fund...  maybe if they had the province would not be in the  situation today they are in. 

Irrelevant. Alberta pays for our stuff via their oil money via equalization payments. Or at the very least, lessens the load on us to support other provinces. Alberta has as much right to the vancouver harbor as a vancouverite, BC-ite, Surrey-ite. We are all Canadians and until that changes, nothing you say will override this simple fact. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

I  live in Vancouver, mate. I am pro- oil pipeline. You don't get to label it in binary 'us from here vs them from there' terms. 

Nope. Oil production is going up, not down. We may run out of it, but by any definition, an industry that is expanding its production is *not* dying industry. 

Most of BC is pro-pipeline, mate. 

Irrelevant. Alberta pays for our stuff via their oil money via equalization payments. Or at the very least, lessens the load on us to support other provinces. Alberta has as much right to the vancouver harbor as a vancouverite, BC-ite, Surrey-ite. We are all Canadians and until that changes, nothing you say will override this simple fact. 

One simple question.  Do you personally profit from a pipeline expansion project ? 

I think i already know the answer. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

One simple question.  Do you personally profit from a pipeline expansion project ? 

Not one cent, mate. I don't work in the oil industry and only a fool buys shares in Canadian oil industry because uneducated hillbillies like you has way too much influence in the oil industry in this country. 

I don't think a petty NIMBY-istic regionalist like you, who is gonna trash vancouver in vancouver vs Surrey comments or declare allegience to a meaningless demarcation of Canada, known as BC, over that of his nation, will *ever* understand an unbiassed opinion that looks at the big picture. 

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Not one cent, mate. I don't work in the oil industry and only a fool buys shares in Canadian oil industry because uneducated hillbillies like you has way too much influence in the oil industry in this country. 

I don't think a petty NIMBY-istic regionalist like you, who is gonna trash vancouver in vancouver vs Surrey comments or declare allegience to a meaningless demarcation of Canada, known as BC, over that of his nation, will *ever* understand an unbiassed opinion that looks at the big picture. 

Maybe not profit but it will benefit all Canadians.

@kingofsurrey BC does not own the coastline, that falls under federal jurisdiction, hence the Canadian coast guard and Canadian navy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Mate, you are very quick to shout out derogatory put downs at people that don't share your opinion about the Kinder expansion.

So clearly you are the one lacking in education.  Of course we all have personal biases and if you think you don't you are mistaken or maybe you missed that lesson at University.   

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Mate, you are very quick to shout out derogatory put downs at people that don't share your opinion about the Kinder expansion.

So clearly you are the one lacking in education.  Of course we all have personal biases and if you think you don't you are mistaken or maybe you missed that lesson at University.   

Pot meet kettle.

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No, i am very quick to call out science illiterates who are crusading over a topic they don't have any real knowledge over. There are plenty of people here who've disagreed with me, but i am calling *YOU* out, because you don't have any legitimate education to say oil pucks are more eco friendly than pipeline or not. 

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

We have personal bias when we have a horse in the race or don't know anything to differentiate empty noise from factual analysis. I don't have a horse in this race, but i have plenty science education to spot a science illiterate (like you) from a mile away. Get educated in a topic before you have strong opinions. Unfortunately for climate change or other science related topics, it means get a proper science education instead of reading a bunch of google articles. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

No, i am very quick to call out science illiterates who are crusading over a topic they don't have any real knowledge over. There are plenty of people here who've disagreed with me, but i am calling *YOU* out, because you don't have any legitimate education to say oil pucks are more eco friendly than pipeline or not. 

We have personal bias when we have a horse in the race or don't know anything to differentiate empty noise from factual analysis.

Did you get an early start today..... ?

My point is that oil pucks may reduce the risk of a potential oil spill to the harbour where i live. ?

Why the anger Mate ?    You lose your s... over the Canucks loss earlier today...   Its just a hockey game bud. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Did you get an early start today..... ?

My point is that oil pucks may reduce the risk of a potential oil spill to the harbour where i live. ?

Doesn't make it more eco-friendly. I live closer to the harbor than you do, mate. Saying it reduces potential oil spill shows how little you know of the topic of oil spills. Its like saying buying 2 lottery tickets is doubling your odds without realizing that it makes virtually zero difference to your actual odds. 

Why the anger Mate ?    You lose your s... over the Canucks loss earlier today...   Its just a hockey game bud. 

When fools form opinions on topics they know very little about, it tends to annoy the crap out of people who have spent years acquiring the education that lets them see the topic in a still very fuzzy light. Its pretty normal. As i said, fools don't know what they don't know - it tends to annoy those who are wiser. 

Edited by canuckistani

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

As likely as you attaining  the  reading skills of an average  8 yr old. 

Sorry but you are going to have to work on your comebacks if you are going to respond with that to a guy who's spent decades in STEM fields. 

PS: You unwittingly, failed at your own diss. Good job. If its very unlikely i will get the reading skills of an average 8 year old, then it proves my point, you dolt - that an oil spill is as unlikely as your estimation of my reading skills. 

Edited by canuckistani

Just now, canuckistani said:

Sorry but you are going to have to work on your comebacks if you are going to respond with that to a guy who's spent decades in STEM fields. 

Loads of Alberta petro chem  engineers  know heaps about the industry. 

Pretty sure most of them are pro oil  industry as well.   What exactly is your point ?   

Just because someone has a Stem background hardly makes them a expert on ALL  ethical  / social / environment  / economic issues-projects. 

Only a Fool thinks they know more than everyone else.  

The Kinder expansion is complicated issue and the pro / cons can be argued from many different angles. In the end,  personal opinion is probably based on your own values and risk tolerance. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Loads of Alberta petro chem  engineers  know heaps about the industry. 

Pretty sure most of them are pro oil  industry as well.   What exactly is your point ?   

Petrochemical engineers are not the only science educated people to have an actual education to understand the dynamic systems impacting climate. Plenty of engineers, physicists, etc do. The opinion is not linear amongst people outside the immediate industry.

My point is, you have no reason to have a solid opinion on the topic, except a religious zeal about it. 

Just because someone has a Stem background hardly makes them a expert on ALL  ethical  / social / environment  / economic issues-projects. 

Only a Fool thinks they know more than everyone else.  

Only a fool thinks that their unqualified opinion about how chemical, thermodynamic etc, systems work to impact global warming & ecology matches that of a science educated person. Wouldn't you concur ? 

The Kinder expansion is complicated issue and the pro / cons can be argued from many different angles. In the end,  personal opinion is probably based on your own values and risk tolerance. 

My opinion is based on understanding the actual math behind the risk scenarios. It quite literally is my field mate - assessing risk - be it for quality control, medical failure, software glitches, etc. That is why i dismiss your opinion as unqualified garbage.