The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Loads of Alberta petro chem  engineers  know heaps about the industry. 

Pretty sure most of them are pro oil  industry as well.   What exactly is your point ?   

Just because someone has a Stem background hardly makes them a expert on ALL  ethical  / social / environment  / economic issues-projects. 

Only a Fool thinks they know more than everyone else.  

The Kinder expansion is complicated issue and the pro / cons can be argued from many different angles. In the end,  personal opinion is probably based on your own values and risk tolerance. 

dont bother KOS , he knows everything ,you know cause he worked at  a radar manufacturing co.  but in reality the very last guy in the world you would ever want  to be in actual trouble on the water with ,with his seemingly lack of respect for the actual power of nature or knowledge of local weather tendency's ,this isnt to say that I dont have an appreciation or some of level respect of his wisdom ,how ever crossing the line with regard's to someone else's knowledge or thought's on something certainly doesnt make him come off as any smarter ,and normally I wouldn't chime in and not contribute to the subject but more of a response to his leaving the subject and getting personal, i'll butt in on that BS every time.   admits to living in BC for 20 years hmmm, thats almost long enough to have shed his tourist image ,but because of his arrogant know it all BS  , coupled with the admittance of him being an immigrant in another thread  , I find it hard to see, listen to or read about someone like that tell ANYBODY that they dont have a right to speak their mind , because he thinks one isnt qualified because they dont have a framed certificate, what he doesnt and never will understand , being the certificate packing  immigrant that he is ,one doesnt have to have a framed certificate to feel passionate and protective of the coastline ,if he was  an actual born and raised true Canadian he would know,understand and respect some one else's opinion!  but the one thing he has admitted to is not having a horse in this race         (nice analogy)  ,also nice to see him exercise  his new found right to free speech whilst trying to deny somebody else of theirs ,   i'm out .

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, chon derry said:

dont bother KOS , he knows everything ,you know cause he worked at  a radar manufacturing co.  but in reality the very last guy in the world you would want  to be in actual trouble on the water with ,with his seemingly lack of respect for the actual power of nature , admits to living in BC for 20 years hmmm, thats almost long to have shed his tourist image , because of his arrogant know it all BS  , coupled with the admittance of him being an immigrant , I find hard to see listen to or read about someone like that tell ANYBODY that they dont have a right to speak their mind , because he thinks one isnt qualified because they dont have a framed certificate, what he doesnt and never will understand , being the immigrant that he is ,one doesnt have to have a framed certificate to feel passionate and protective of the Canadian coastline, i'm out .

Ftfy. 

Happy new year.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Violator said:

Wait kos is not born in canada

Happy New Year to you all.   2019 will no doubt bring us more debate on KMP.

The longer this project is stalled.... the more chance we have to come up with technology more favourable  / less risk to our WORLD class BC environment.

image.jpeg.daf678b2737b797554819223ce052a7d.jpeg

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, chon derry said:

dont bother KOS , he knows everything ,you know cause he worked at  a radar manufacturing co.  but in reality the very last guy in the world you would ever want  to be in actual trouble on the water with ,with his seemingly lack of respect for the actual power of nature or knowledge of local weather tendency's ,this isnt to say that I dont have an appreciation or some of level respect of his wisdom ,how ever crossing the line with regard's to someone else's knowledge or thought's on something certainly doesnt make him come off as any smarter ,and normally I wouldn't chime in and not contribute to the subject but more of a response to his leaving the subject and getting personal, i'll butt in on that BS every time.   admits to living in BC for 20 years hmmm, thats almost long enough to have shed his tourist image ,but because of his arrogant know it all BS  , coupled with the admittance of him being an immigrant in another thread  , I find it hard to see, listen to or read about someone like that tell ANYBODY that they dont have a right to speak their mind , because he thinks one isnt qualified because they dont have a framed certificate, what he doesnt and never will understand , being the certificate packing  immigrant that he is ,one doesnt have to have a framed certificate to feel passionate and protective of the coastline ,if he was  an actual born and raised true Canadian he would know,understand and respect some one else's opinion!  but the one thing he has admitted to is not having a horse in this race         (nice analogy)  ,also nice to see him exercise  his new found right to free speech whilst trying to deny somebody else of theirs ,   i'm out .

You have the right to speak your mind and spew garbage. 

If the topic is that of a scientific, technical topic, such as which option is more or less damaging to nature, your opinion is irrelevant to what the scientific analysis tells us. Science i not subject to your opinion, neither mine, nor is it a populist based position.  
Freedom of speech does not make your unscientific garbage on a scientific topic of equal importance to that of someone qualified. Just like your opinion on a car's problem is of lesser value than that of a mechanic's (Assuming you are not). Its a pretty straightforward concept, really. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Happy New Year to you all.   2019 will no doubt bring us more debate on KMP.

The longer this project is stalled.... the more chance we have to come up with technology more favourable  / less risk to our WORLD class BC environment.

image.jpeg.daf678b2737b797554819223ce052a7d.jpeg

Couldn’t the pipeline be built and a plant to turn the bitumen into pucks be build in bc at the end of the line? Manufacture the pucks in bc and ship from there. Rail shipments can stop and the oil spill risk at the coast is taken away. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Butters7 said:

Couldn’t the pipeline be built and a plant to turn the bitumen into pucks be build in bc at the end of the line? Manufacture the pucks in bc and ship from there. Rail shipments can stop and the oil spill risk at the coast is taken away. 

Problem is quantity. It's already going to take a lot of time and money just to get a facility going to make 50,000 barrels worth a day. Like it was said before Canada needs to find a way to ship over 1 million per day. I can appreciate that it's a start, it's just not enough yet.

46 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Problem is quantity. It's already going to take a lot of time and money just to get a facility going to make 50,000 barrels worth a day. Like it was said before Canada needs to find a way to ship over 1 million per day. I can appreciate that it's a start, it's just not enough yet.

True, but if a building capable of producing 1m barrels worth of pucks a day in bc could be an option I wonder if it would appease everyone. Obviously not the people who want no oil to be used ever again but for those who understand there is a transition from fossil fuels to green energy.

3 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

I wpuld expect there insurer is pushing for the pucks as they dont want to pay alot for spills.

11 hours ago, Butters7 said:

True, but if a building capable of producing 1m barrels worth of pucks a day in bc could be an option I wonder if it would appease everyone. Obviously not the people who want no oil to be used ever again but for those who understand there is a transition from fossil fuels to green energy.

Problem still is if they are done in Alberta where theres no pipeline going through BC, you still have to send it via rail to BC to get shipped which is still carbon heavy and costly.

16 minutes ago, Russ said:

Problem still is if they are done in Alberta where theres no pipeline going through BC, you still have to send it via rail to BC to get shipped which is still carbon heavy and costly.

Yeah the pipeline would have to be build and the plant to convert bitumen to pucks would have to be in BC at the end of the pipeline.

• Upvote 2

Time for Canadians to make some tough choices......

Two more southern resident killer whales predicted to die by summer

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/two-more-southern-resident-killer-whales-predicted-to-die-by-summer

SEATTLE — Two more Salish Sea orcas are ailing and probably will be dead by summer, according an expert on the critically endangered population of killer whales that live in the waters of the Pacific Northwest.

Drone photography taken this past September showed the ailing population of orcas known as the southern residents went into the winter thinner than they were when the whales arrived in the San Juan Islands last summer.

They also are thinner than the so-called northern resident population of killer whales, which have been steadily growing in population for the past 40 years in their home waters primarily in northern British Columbia and southeast Alaska, where they have access to more fish and cleaner and quieter water. The northern residents gave birth to 10 new calves last year.

The Seattle Times reports Center for Whale Research founding director Ken Balcomb said photos taken of a southern resident orca known as J17 on New Year’s Eve showed the 42-year-old female has so-called peanut head — a misshapen head and neck caused by starvation. In addition a 27-year-old male known as K25 is failing, also from lack of sufficient food. He lost his mother, K13, in 2017 and is not successfully foraging on his own

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

36 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Time for Canadians to make some tough choices......

Two more southern resident killer whales predicted to die by summer

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/two-more-southern-resident-killer-whales-predicted-to-die-by-summer

SEATTLE — Two more Salish Sea orcas are ailing and probably will be dead by summer, according an expert on the critically endangered population of killer whales that live in the waters of the Pacific Northwest.

Drone photography taken this past September showed the ailing population of orcas known as the southern residents went into the winter thinner than they were when the whales arrived in the San Juan Islands last summer.

They also are thinner than the so-called northern resident population of killer whales, which have been steadily growing in population for the past 40 years in their home waters primarily in northern British Columbia and southeast Alaska, where they have access to more fish and cleaner and quieter water. The northern residents gave birth to 10 new calves last year.

The Seattle Times reports Center for Whale Research founding director Ken Balcomb said photos taken of a southern resident orca known as J17 on New Year’s Eve showed the 42-year-old female has so-called peanut head — a misshapen head and neck caused by starvation. In addition a 27-year-old male known as K25 is failing, also from lack of sufficient food. He lost his mother, K13, in 2017 and is not successfully foraging on his own

What does this have to do with a pipeline thread?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

What does this have to do with a pipeline thread?

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

They also are thinner than the so-called northern resident population of killer whales, which have been steadily growing in population for the past 40 years in their home waters primarily in northern British Columbia and southeast Alaska, where they have access to more fish and cleaner and quieter water

"where they have access to more fish and cleaner and quieter water"

28 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So the ones dying off are doing so because of a nonexistent pipeline expansion? Interesting

court ruling with regards to NEB'S initial approval failed to have ANY reaserch into tanker traffic and its impact NOT only from the orca's persperctive BUT ALL SEA mammals ,fish ,and people reliant on all the above , so I wasn't directly linked to the pipeline but the increased tanker traffic. and was a contributing factor in the court ruling's to go back and   "try again"   it also left the NEB's initial approval with KM'S  responsibility or accountability to the marine environment at the terminal?????

Edited by chon derry