kingofsurrey

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So the ones dying off are doing so because of a nonexistent pipeline expansion? Interesting

Essentially any boat traffic &^@#s with sea life.An increase in boats any boats is bad for the fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Violator said:

Essentially any boat traffic &^@#s with sea life.An increase in boats any boats is bad for the fish. 

It seems more like over fishing is the issue. Lack of food and obviously all the fishing boats that go along with it. I’m not saying another boat is not going to hurt the orca population but this expansion proposal is definitely not where the fingers should be pointed. The fishing industry is one of the worst problems in the world. There will always be boat traffic for cargo going across oceans but the fishing industry could sure use some changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Butters7 said:

It seems more like over fishing is the issue. Lack of food and obviously all the fishing boats that go along with it. I’m not saying another boat is not going to hurt the orca population but this expansion proposal is definitely not where the fingers should be pointed. The fishing industry is one of the worst problems in the world. There will always be boat traffic for cargo going across oceans but the fishing industry could sure use some changes.

absolutely , ,but a little more complex with the sports sector ,native food fish ,Alaskans targeting salmon bound for Canadian rivers....not unlike the forest industrys arugument of sustainability , the tanker traffic increase is viewed  not only by the radical fringe but coastal residents that have seen the decline in stocks (forests logged etc)  fighting for the very survival of what remains, them already having been through the industrial resource extraction, and learning albeit to late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Butters7 said:

It seems more like over fishing is the issue. Lack of food and obviously all the fishing boats that go along with it. I’m not saying another boat is not going to hurt the orca population but this expansion proposal is definitely not where the fingers should be pointed. The fishing industry is one of the worst problems in the world. There will always be boat traffic for cargo going across oceans but the fishing industry could sure use some changes.

Pipeline expansion and the subusquent expansion of shipping is easy pickings though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the economics of it work out because you're not shipping 30-40% solvent, its nearly all bitumen. I posted a rail study a few pages back with the numbers. 

 

I love the puck idea, solves many issues. 

Except environmental issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Violator said:

Essentially any boat traffic &^@#s with sea life.An increase in boats any boats is bad for the fish. 

But aren't they dying off without the increased traffic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But aren't they dying off without the increased traffic?

Yes this just slows it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

So the ones dying off are doing so because of a nonexistent pipeline expansion? Interesting

Not sure you understand the INCREDIBLE  importance of the Southern Orca's to BC culture / history / tourism / first nations culture ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not sure you understand the INCREDIBLE  importance of the Southern Orca's to BC culture / history / tourism / first nations culture ? 

Just not sure what that article has to do with the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Just not sure what that article has to do with the thread.

Pretty sure the environmental impact of tanker traffic on Orca's will be looked at before KMP expansion goes ahead........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure the environmental impact of tanker traffic on Orca's will be looked at before KMP expansion goes ahead........

Are they dying off now? 

Last time I checked there was no pipeline expansion. Shouldn't you and gurn be finding a industry to blame?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Are they dying off now? 

Last time I checked there was no pipeline expansion. Shouldn't you and gurn be finding a industry to blame?

Yes of course. Hopefully fish farm new regs may help though...

Perhaps new regs for whale watching tours could be helpful as well.....

 

How do you feel about a seal cull on the west coast ?   

 

Do you think that the Orca's will benefit from increased tanker traffic ... maybe they enjoy interacting with large tankers....? 

Edited by kingofsurrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the economics of it work out because you're not shipping 30-40% solvent, its nearly all bitumen. I posted a rail study a few pages back with the numbers. 

 

I love the puck idea, solves many issues. 

Thats true I forgot it got diluted to move thru the pipelines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes of course. Hopefully fish farm new regs may help though...

Perhaps new regs for whale watching tours could be helpful as well.....

 

How do you feel about a seal cull on the west coast ?   

 

Do you think that the Orca's will benefit from increased tanker traffic ... maybe they enjoy interacting with large tankers....? 

Oh I hope they make fish farms land locked.  Go find some industrial land and build a giant pool there.  

 

Also seal cull is needed, they are slowly wiping out our salmon runs because of over population.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Except environmental issues.

different monkey, different circus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Russ said:

Thats true I forgot it got diluted to move thru the pipelines.

Its also cheaper because you don't need heated rail cars either, so the cost to ramp up rail capacity is also far cheaper. So e.g., what Notely is investing in now in heated car capacity could be nearly doubled if they were moving pucks just on a car to car comparison. I don't know the cost difference between conventional cars and heated cars, but thats also another way to maximize the investment and production volume, but I'm not sure by how much. 

 

One bitumen barrel makes 600 pellets. An open-top rail car can carry about 615 barrels worth of heavy crude as pellets, once the polymer is extracted. This compares with the 390 barrels of heavy crude in a tank car, not including the dilutive chemicals.

 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-cn-pushes-ahead-with-puck-sized-bitumen-for-rail-transport/

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

different monkey, different circus. 

One would think true environmentalists wouldn't support increased rail traffic over a pipeline.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ryan Strome said:

One would think true environmentalists wouldn't support increased rail traffic over a pipeline.

colour me practical. 

 

Sure there will be people that don't like the pucks, but there's a real economic argument for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let's do the pucks

If there is ever a derailment we could have one kick ass hockey tournament!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

colour me practical. 

 

Sure there will be people that don't like the pucks, but there's a real economic argument for them. 

I wasn't referring to you.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.