The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

15 hours ago, gurn said:

"deployed cleaning vessels"

At least they have spill clean up ships.

Something that has been promised by the Libs, but politicians make promises all the time... and don't deliver.

I agree we should have the ships both the liberals provincial and federal promised aswell as the conservatives.But if this pipeline doesnt get built were probably sitting at 70% chance it doesnt get built people will complain that we wasted money on something we wont use.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Not sure you understand the INCREDIBLE  importance of the Southern Orca's to BC culture / history / tourism / first nations culture ? 

It's so true. The Orca's are in danger and, like you say, ships are to blame, so we need to stop the shipping going on through those channels now. Nothing more important than our Orcas. Pleasure boats too. Whale watchers need to hit the road.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Violator said:

I agree we should have the ships both the liberals provincial and federal promised aswell as the conservatives.But if this pipeline doesnt get built were probably sitting at 70% chance it doesnt get built people will complain that we wasted money on something we wont use.

No, it will get built. 70% chance it does.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Best part of that. 

“Hong Kong's Environmental Protection Department told CNN in an email that the city immediately deployed cleaning vessels to the site on standby, but that no oil spillage had been observed so far.”

The Ship was empty, If it was full it would have been catastrophic!

And yes, ships do catch on fire, do run aground and do sink. Stuff happens

Edited by Mackcanuck

An additional problem in any type of transportation is you don't know what is up with the other car/boat/plane.

Imagine being behind this guy going through a pass/channel.

http://www.professionalmariner.com/December-January-2018/NTSB-Watch-stander-was-asleep-when-tug-grounded-off-BC/

"

he following is a marine accident brief from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB):

(WASHINGTON) — On Oct. 13, 2016, at 0108 local time, the articulated tug-barge (ATB) Nathan E. Stewart/DBL 55 ran aground on Edge Reef off Athlone Island in the Seaforth Channel near Bella Bella, British Columbia. At the time of the accident, Nathan E. Stewart was en route to the Port of Vancouver with the empty DBL 55. None of the crewmembers were injured, but environmental damage occurred when approximately 29,000 gallons of fuel and lube oil were released. Damage to the vessel and barge was estimated at $12 million."

'The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the grounding of the articulated tug-barge Nathan E. Stewart/DBL 55 was the second mate falling asleep while on watch.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3892954/nathan-e-stewart-oil-spill/

"

Crews tried to surround the spill with an oil containment boom, but winds and waves forced it open in parts.

Meanwhile, the vessel was taking on water — and despite crew members’ attempts to pump it out, the stern of the Nathan E Stewart partially submerged at around 9:27 a.m.

The tug separated from the barge at around 6:40 p.m. and was left  “partially sunk” in about 28 feet of water, the brief said.

When the Nathan E Stewart was recovered on Nov. 14, the tug’s bottom had “extensive deformation” that showed “multiple penetrations in the hull plating.”

"

Investigators determined a number of causes for the incident.

The main one was that the second mate had fallen asleep.

He felt that he had had enough rest at the time, but it was determined that he missed an hour of sleep when he started early.

Another cause was that the vessel’s crew was not following its safety management system (SMS), which required a second watchperson in the wheelhouse with the second mate at the time."

nathanstewart.png

1800_HEILTSUK_INVESTIGA_VAF0BPTV_tnb_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

An additional problem in any type of transportation is you don't know what is up with the other car/boat/plane.

Imagine being behind this guy going through a pass/channel.

http://www.professionalmariner.com/December-January-2018/NTSB-Watch-stander-was-asleep-when-tug-grounded-off-BC/

"

he following is a marine accident brief from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB):

(WASHINGTON) — On Oct. 13, 2016, at 0108 local time, the articulated tug-barge (ATB) Nathan E. Stewart/DBL 55 ran aground on Edge Reef off Athlone Island in the Seaforth Channel near Bella Bella, British Columbia. At the time of the accident, Nathan E. Stewart was en route to the Port of Vancouver with the empty DBL 55. None of the crewmembers were injured, but environmental damage occurred when approximately 29,000 gallons of fuel and lube oil were released. Damage to the vessel and barge was estimated at $12 million."

'The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the grounding of the articulated tug-barge Nathan E. Stewart/DBL 55 was the second mate falling asleep while on watch.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3892954/nathan-e-stewart-oil-spill/

"

Crews tried to surround the spill with an oil containment boom, but winds and waves forced it open in parts.

Meanwhile, the vessel was taking on water — and despite crew members’ attempts to pump it out, the stern of the Nathan E Stewart partially submerged at around 9:27 a.m.

The tug separated from the barge at around 6:40 p.m. and was left  “partially sunk” in about 28 feet of water, the brief said.

When the Nathan E Stewart was recovered on Nov. 14, the tug’s bottom had “extensive deformation” that showed “multiple penetrations in the hull plating.”

"

Investigators determined a number of causes for the incident.

The main one was that the second mate had fallen asleep.

He felt that he had had enough rest at the time, but it was determined that he missed an hour of sleep when he started early.

Another cause was that the vessel’s crew was not following its safety management system (SMS), which required a second watchperson in the wheelhouse with the second mate at the time."

nathanstewart.png

1800_HEILTSUK_INVESTIGA_VAF0BPTV_tnb_1.jpg

This is the thing with spills. You can have the best regulation in the world. You can require the best equipment, but it still comes down to people following the rules.

Exxon Valdez...Queen of the North...Nathan E. Stewart...all because of human error.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is the thing with spills. You can have the best regulation in the world. You can require the best equipment, but it still comes down to people following the rules.

Exxon Valdez...Queen of the North...Nathan E. Stewart...all because of human error.

Sadly, even if the Stewart had two watchkeepers that night stuff still happens.

While doing my Marine Emergency Duties training a video was played of a horrible air crash that killed hundreds of people in two planes on an island of the coast of Africa.

While the co pilot convinced the pilot not to attempt take off the first time, he went silent when the Captain/pilot decided to go just moments later.

583 people dead, two planes destroyed. Even worse was the captain/pilot was the airlines senior pilot and head of their safety division and training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

"

The collision occurred when KLM 4805 initiated its takeoff run while Pan Am 1736, shrouded in fog, was still on the runway and about to turn off onto the taxiway. The impact and resulting fire killed everyone on board the KLM plane and most of the occupants of the Pan Am plane, with only 61 survivors in the front section of the aircraft.[1][2]

The subsequent investigation by Spanish authorities concluded that the primary cause of the accident was the KLM captain's decision to take off in the mistaken belief that a takeoff clearance from air traffic control (ATC) had been issued.[3] Dutch investigators placed a greater emphasis on mutual misunderstanding in radio communications between the KLM crew and ATC,[4] but ultimately KLM admitted that their crew was responsible for the accident and the airline agreed to financially compensate the relatives of all of the victims.[5]

The disaster had a lasting influence on the industry, highlighting in particular the vital importance of using standardized phraseology in radio communications. Cockpit procedures were also reviewed, contributing to the establishment of crew resource management as a fundamental part of airline pilots' training.[6]

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Sadly, even if the Stewart had two watchkeepers that night stuff still happens.

While doing my Marine Emergency Duties training a video was played of a horrible air crash that killed hundreds of people in two planes on an island of the coast of Africa.

While the co pilot convinced the pilot not to attempt take off the first time, he went silent when the Captain/pilot decided to go just moments later.

583 people dead, two planes destroyed. Even worse was the captain/pilot was the airlines senior pilot and head of their safety division and training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

"

The collision occurred when KLM 4805 initiated its takeoff run while Pan Am 1736, shrouded in fog, was still on the runway and about to turn off onto the taxiway. The impact and resulting fire killed everyone on board the KLM plane and most of the occupants of the Pan Am plane, with only 61 survivors in the front section of the aircraft.[1][2]

The subsequent investigation by Spanish authorities concluded that the primary cause of the accident was the KLM captain's decision to take off in the mistaken belief that a takeoff clearance from air traffic control (ATC) had been issued.[3] Dutch investigators placed a greater emphasis on mutual misunderstanding in radio communications between the KLM crew and ATC,[4] but ultimately KLM admitted that their crew was responsible for the accident and the airline agreed to financially compensate the relatives of all of the victims.[5]

The disaster had a lasting influence on the industry, highlighting in particular the vital importance of using standardized phraseology in radio communications. Cockpit procedures were also reviewed, contributing to the establishment of crew resource management as a fundamental part of airline pilots' training.[6]

Yep. I watched a documentary about the Tenerife crash. The KLM pilot's decision making in that case is totally inexplicable.

I don't know how the power of the captain on a marine vessel compares with that of an airline captain, but I got the distinct impression from the Tenerife Doc that everyone (co-pilot included) was afraid to question the captain's judgement, even though it seemed fairly obvious that he was making a grave error.

I have to assume that a sea captain's authority is similar, although in the case of the Stewart and the QotN, it was officers below the rank of captain who were derelict.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I watched a documentary about the Tenerife crash. The KLM pilot's decision making in that case is totally inexplicable.

I don't know how the power of the captain on a marine vessel compares with that of an airline captain, but I got the distinct impression from the Tenerife Doc that everyone (co-pilot included) was afraid to question the captain's judgement, even though it seemed fairly obvious that he was making a grave error.

I have to assume that a sea captain's authority is similar, although in the case of the Stewart and the QotN, it was officers below the rank of captain who were derelict.

Some Captains still believe only God can suggest things to them, others are more inclined, by training, to take input from members of the team.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Some Captains still believe only God can suggest things to them, others are more inclined, by training, to take input from members of the team.

Q. how many capt's does it take to screw in a light bulb?   A.  1  he only has to hold the bulb ,since the world revolve's around him...……….

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Ships, like airlines, have the doctrine of 'Captain is God on duty'. Forget the subordinates, in military protocol, captain of the ship/aircraft has the authority to overrule his direct superiors while the vessel is out of port. Once the vessel leaves port/aircraft takes off, the captain is the ultimate law on board. This is why it is customary in naval battles through history, for the admiral present, to also be the acting captain of his flag-ship, as there has been instances where the Admiral in direct command of the flotilla is not captain of his own flag-ship, has ordered a particular manuever and the captain of his own flagship has gone 'nope, overruled'. And yes, until they return to port, captain cannot be prosecuted and short of medical reasons, not be relieved from duty either. Ie, an admiral on deck, lt.general on board an aircraft can be directly overruled by the captain of the vessel/aircraft. 

On 1/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, gurn said:

This &^@#ing bull$&!# of "Captain is God" it's why terrible accidents happens 

Today there's a thing called CRM (Crew Resource Management) meaning you have to know how delegate functions and when the common sense is good

Captain/Commander is NOT A GOD it's a damm &^@#ing human like anybody else with just more responsibility than the average person

If you have a Co-Pilot LISTEN HIM because his information might actually save your life and even if not the more information you have better 

I always listen my co-pilots (If/when i have one) and i delegate him functions because he's not a dead weight there enjoying a joy ride

If you are on the right seat and I'm your captain get ready to pass me as much information as you can because good Captains always have good Co-Pilots

• Upvote 1