The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What exactly are the environmental impacts anyways? 

Is the worst case scenario that bad? 

If the answer is yes, is all the money in the world going to be enough to repair a disaster in these waters? I think we have to look at what the worst case actually is and weigh the social benefits of whoring out such an environment for a buck. 

The rugged, super-ecosystem of the Pacif Ocean’s west coast is the best thing about BC and protecting it from man-made disaster is paramount to all. 

I’m not a treehugger, but these waters can’t just be cleaned up with a broom so I have grave reservations concerning the apparent risks involved in introducing this hazard into this system. 

I can’t imagine any Indian bands will allow this in their waters. Possibly those upstream and those landlocked. Money talks, as we’ve seen, but not for those along the pacific coast, not that I’ve seen. Some things are sacred and should be treated with reverence and secured. 

Is this project worth the risk? 

In terms of the bigger picture and taking into account where oil comes from, how it is transported and where the demand is (both in Canada and across the world), there are far more risks to both the economy and the environment if this pipeline or something near equivalent is not constructed.   

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

What is the risk to the ecosystem of the Pacific? 

What is the other side of this debate? 

The global ecosystem should be the framing discussion.   However, if you must drill down in a Provincial manner, the oil you are getting from Washington State by rail and tanker is just as risky and the oil transported from Saudi to eastern Canada is just as risky.    

There should not be "sides" but a balanced logical discussion about the bigger picture.   Canada used to be somewhat of a bastion of logic but that is slowly disappearing too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

In terms of the bigger picture and taking into account where oil comes from, how it is transported and where the demand is (both in Canada and across the world), there are far more risks to both the economy and the environment if this pipeline or something near equivalent is not constructed.   

What’s in that pipeline? 

On the one hand, the tankers are already there and have been for decades.

On the other hand, increased tanker traffic, increased risk.

If the economic benefits to BC 'in particular' outweighs the risk, do it. If they do not, don't.

Watching a BC coastal oil spill wreak havoc just so Alberta can get rich, which funds the feds equalization garbage to Ontario and Quebec doesn't really float my boat.

Removing all the emotions from the equation is a difficult thing to do, but that's exactly how it needs to be done. That said, the 'environmental impact' of the burning of the fossil fuels is not really germane to overall argument, despite how much time people give it. The demanded oil WILL be burned; whether it's from Alberta or Arabia is the difference between Canada getting paid or... those whose opinion on slavery and human rights differ rather significantly. I'd rather see us get paid and do good things with it rather than enhance the Royal fleet of Range Rovers with an extra Lamborghini or 5.

I do get a little tired of the paid professional protesters though. As usual, far too many forget "Who wants me to believe this, and why do they want me to believe it? What do they gain?". Critical thinking.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

You can make a new thread with a wall of propaganda all you want instead of just keeping it in the other thread.

i still say no.  Take the pipeline and cram it.

keep B.C. beaches clean.

alberta can pound sand.

1) It's not propaganda.

2) Ottawa bought the pipeline not Alberta.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What exactly are the environmental impacts anyways? 

Is the worst case scenario that bad? 

If the answer is yes, is all the money in the world going to be enough to repair a disaster in these waters? I think we have to look at what the worst case actually is and weigh the social benefits of whoring out such an environment for a buck. 

The rugged, super-ecosystem of the Pacif Ocean’s west coast is the best thing about BC and protecting it from man-made disaster is paramount to all. 

I’m not a treehugger, but these waters can’t just be cleaned up with a broom so I have grave reservations concerning the apparent risks involved in introducing this hazard into this system. 

I can’t imagine any Indian bands will allow this in their waters. Possibly those upstream and those landlocked. Money talks, as we’ve seen, but not for those along the pacific coast, not that I’ve seen. Some things are sacred and should be treated with reverence and secured. 

Is this project worth the risk? 

yeah, its pretty bad. a large dil bit spill could devastate a large fishing area for things like prawns or cod.

But, if done the way they say they're gong to do it the chance should be small, but like I've yapped about a lot, there's far safer technology coming with the bitumen pucks. I suspect thats how AB oil will finally be able to get through Quebec and then we can stop buying oil from those Saudi creeps. 

As far as risk goes, we're at a very high risk of a conventional spill right now with the 30+ tankers that enter the harbour every day, we literally have no means of cleaning that up effectively right now. A part of the billion or so going into the Vancouver port is for advanced spill tech.

I'd prefer we wait for Canapucks, but if it must go through then I really like the safer harbour tech and aboriginal ownership, at least there's that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, inane said:

propaganda much?

Yeah..all feels like Lipp-stick on an oinker, don't it?

We humans have only 3 jobs..let's not get confused here:

- dig sh*t up

- Burn that sh*t

- choke on it

Ind Civ only promises 2 or 3 centuries of mayhem. So we'd better crank up the raping & pillaging before it all peters out.

The west has jumped the shark.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
ha, word keeps coming up Leipsic! :^)
  • Upvote 1