The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

15 hours ago, Violator said:

Definately hasnt peaked definately isnt declining.guess he got his paycheck from someone already.

You nailed it. What an embarrassment. I feel sorry for native people.

19 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Seems like First Nations Leaders are much more intelligent than the average Albertan....

Last week, Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs wrote an open letter to B.C. First Nations warning them against investing in the pipeline.

Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs president Grand Chief Stewart PhilliPhillips claims that Trans Mountain is not profitable in its current form and that construction costs on the pipeline’s expansion have gone up 72 per cent since it was first proposed.

Phillips also questions the existence of a market for the oil that an expanded pipeline would carry.

“In a world where demand for oil has peaked and is declining, the oilsands, which has higher costs and higher carbon emissions than other sources of oil, will be some of the first oilfields to be shut down,” wrote Phillips.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/first-nations-seek-influence-and-control-in-pipeline-purchase

Hmm now yoy like Phillips? The same same guy that defended JWR and slammed Trudeau. There is over 100 bands supporting the project. Btw you and Phillips aren't very smart... The demand is growing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hmm now yoy like Phillips? The same same guy that defended JWR and slammed Trudeau. There is over 100 bands supporting the project. Btw you and Phillips aren't very smart... The demand is growing.

I think this is a good point. People look to Phillips as if he's speaking for all Indigenous peoples, but the fact is, the various bands are as divided on this issue as the rest of us.

It seems to be the unfortunate truth that those who speak with the loudest voice tend to be believed and those who speak more quietly fly under the radar. I can say from conversations I've had with some of the "movers and shakers" among the First Nations here on the North Coast, that a lot of their opinion falls in line with my own: Environmental concerns must be addressed and meaningful consultation with the First Nations who's territory is affected, must be conducted.

If those conditions are met, then there is support from FN in this area of the province.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think this is a good point. People look to Phillips as if he's speaking for all Indigenous peoples, but the fact is, the various bands are as divided on this issue as the rest of us.

It seems to be the unfortunate truth that those who speak with the loudest voice tend to be believed and those who speak more quietly fly under the radar. I can say from conversations I've had with some of the "movers and shakers" among the First Nations here on the North Coast, that a lot of their opinion falls in line with my own: Environmental concerns must be addressed and meaningful consultation with the First Nations who's territory is affected, must be conducted.

If those conditions are met, then there is support from FN in this area of the province.

I think where we are in todays world both Alberta and Ottawa agree with you. I wish JT would listen to Black, he wants to build that green refinerie in Kittimat, it will lowere emissions and can handle 400,000 barrels a day. 

Just five of many reasons this pipeline is good for the people of British Columbia now, and in the future:

1. Safety - this pipeline has been operating safely for more than 60 years. Kinder Morgan and other members of the Canadian Energy Pipeline Association spent more than $1.4 billion last year on pipeline safety and much more remains committed for this modest twinning.
  2. Responsible - as this project is a twinning of an existing pipeline, it is a balanced approach to weighing the environment and economy compared to other proposed extraction methods such as using trains and building new pipelines. World class safety standards for construction and operation ensure British Columbians can be proud of the safe economic activity this project delivers.    Alternatives like getting oil from Saudi Arabia or similar does not equate to responsible.
  3. Real Jobs for Real Families - there is a lot at stake for British Columbia and the construction industry and when a resource development proceeds. With the Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion that means thousands of family supporting jobs. That’s skilled and semi-skilled labor, engineering, manufacturing, financial services, and transportation jobs. During construction, workers in communities along the project route will spend nearly $1 billion on services alone including accommodation and food.
  4. Pays for BC hospitals and schools and similar things people want/need - the city of Burnaby alone, yes the one that seems to take NIMBY to an all new level, will take in near a quarter of a billion dollars in property tax payments over 20 years of operations on an expanded Trans Mountain line. Each year the city will receive enough municipal tax revenue to fund the Burnaby public library system with enough left over to fund 29 additional library staff positions. New revenue from the expansion could pay for 132 additional firefighters or the full cost of garbage collection every year.  Importing oil from another country will not do any of that.
  5. Environmental leadership - Canada’s experience with pipelines dates back to 1853. British Columbia has always been a leader in environmental policy. If BC can not handle pipelines responsibly and safely here in BC then where in the world do you expect it to be done right?   Isn't using oil and leaving it to others to get it to you very hypocritical?

This is simply so logical you have to wonder how anyone can oppose this.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Just five of many reasons this pipeline is good for the people of British Columbia now, and in the future:

1. Safety - this pipeline has been operating safely for more than 60 years. Kinder Morgan and other members of the Canadian Energy Pipeline Association spent more than $1.4 billion last year on pipeline safety and much more remains committed for this modest twinning.
  2. Responsible - as this project is a twinning of an existing pipeline, it is a balanced approach to weighing the environment and economy compared to other proposed extraction methods such as using trains and building new pipelines. World class safety standards for construction and operation ensure British Columbians can be proud of the safe economic activity this project delivers.    Alternatives like getting oil from Saudi Arabia or similar does not equate to responsible.
  3. Real Jobs for Real Families - there is a lot at stake for British Columbia and the construction industry and when a resource development proceeds. With the Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion that means thousands of family supporting jobs. That’s skilled and semi-skilled labor, engineering, manufacturing, financial services, and transportation jobs. During construction, workers in communities along the project route will spend nearly $1 billion on services alone including accommodation and food.
  4. Pays for BC hospitals and schools and similar things people want/need - the city of Burnaby alone, yes the one that seems to take NIMBY to an all new level, will take in near a quarter of a billion dollars in property tax payments over 20 years of operations on an expanded Trans Mountain line. Each year the city will receive enough municipal tax revenue to fund the Burnaby public library system with enough left over to fund 29 additional library staff positions. New revenue from the expansion could pay for 132 additional firefighters or the full cost of garbage collection every year.  Importing oil from another country will not do any of that.
  5. Environmental leadership - Canada’s experience with pipelines dates back to 1853. British Columbia has always been a leader in environmental policy. If BC can not handle pipelines responsibly and safely here in BC then where in the world do you expect it to be done right?   Isn't using oil and leaving it to others to get it to you very hypocritical?

Money matters and the US has been using money to manipulate people in BC. The US energy industry has doubled in the last 10 years while Canada is going backwards. The people opposing it are making the Americans money and if these people are successful they will make the Americans even more money.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think where we are in todays world both Alberta and Ottawa agree with you. I wish JT would listen to Black, he wants to build that green refinerie in Kittimat, it will lowere emissions and can handle 400,000 barrels a day. 

The Kitimat project is just waiting for the green light. I was there last year; from what I remember there are actually some structures on the land, it's a huge plot of land by the water, next to Rio Tinto. Everyone in the town seems fairly confident it will eventually get the go ahead; although I think the people in Kitimat just want another industry beside Rio Tinto.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Money matters and the US has been using money to manipulate people in BC. The US energy industry has doubled in the last 10 years while Canada is going backwards. The people opposing it are making the Americans money and if these people are successful they will make the Americans even more money.

IMG_3026.PNG?1542661044

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

those 5 things can be said about almost every industry. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The Kitimat project is just waiting for the green light. I was there last year; from what I remember there are actually some structures on the land, it's a huge plot of land by the water, next to Rio Tinto. Everyone in the town seems fairly confident it will eventually get the go ahead; although I think the people in Kitimat just want another industry beside Rio Tinto.

Like Black stated the only one opposed is Justin Trudeau

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I support anyone that stands against climate change / global warming 

dont u agree ?

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Like Black stated the only one opposed is Justin Trudeau

But that doesn't make sense.... Black is now talking about shipping the bitumen via rail as pellets (as you know, my favourite form of bitumen :P) and it wouldn't be against the crude oil ban, and some of the supply would go directly to BC. 

I wonder if its more a matter of scepticism that Black can actually get it done.  Horgan didn't seem all that impressed: 

"Horgan acknowledged Black’s proposal as one option and said, “I look forward to him entering the regulatory process to see if he has the wherewithal, in terms of capital, in terms of expertise, to pull that off.” 

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/entrepreneur-refloats-kitimat-refinery-trial-balloon-into-shifting-political-winds

Edited by Jimmy McGill

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But that doesn't make sense.... Black is now talking about shipping the bitumen via rail as pellets (as you know, my favourite form of bitumen :P) and it wouldn't be against the crude oil ban, and some of the supply would go directly to BC. 

I wonder if its more a matter of scepticism that Black can actually get it done.  Horgan didn't seem all that impressed: 

"Horgan acknowledged Black’s proposal as one option and said, “I look forward to him entering the regulatory process to see if he has the wherewithal, in terms of capital, in terms of expertise, to pull that off.” 

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/entrepreneur-refloats-kitimat-refinery-trial-balloon-into-shifting-political-winds

Horgan has been pro refinement for a long time.  Nobody seems to remember that.

Black has been on about a refinery since 2012

It's curious how it didn't get started under either former government

Some interesting reads on the subject.

The why not side

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/tristin-hopper-why-canada-shouldnt-refine-the-oil-it-exports

Blacks first statements on it

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/blacks-refinery-plan-an-election-boost

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/08/17/bc_businessman_david_black_wants_to_build_13b_oil_refinery.html

Current thoughts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Horgan has been pro refinement for a long time.  Nobody seems to remember that.

Black has been on about a refinery since 2012

It's curious how it didn't get started under either former government

Some interesting reads on the subject.

The why not side

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/tristin-hopper-why-canada-shouldnt-refine-the-oil-it-exports

Blacks first statements on it

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/blacks-refinery-plan-an-election-boost

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/08/17/bc_businessman_david_black_wants_to_build_13b_oil_refinery.html

Current thoughts.

Horgan has to beat Weaver to make this happen. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think if an election were held tomorrow Horgan easily gets a majority. 

The more I read about Horgan, the more I like the person.  I don’t care for some of his political views though.