The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m old, so just so long as life continues to be good for us here for the next 20-30 years I really don’t care what happens after that.  I know we need pipelines and need to get our Alberta oil to world markets.  It’s what is best for all Canadians.  My pint is for now, right now, I only care about us staying at the top of the world’s best areas to live.  

Ehy don’t we keep our oil, and use it domestically anyway?  We could make stuff, like plastics, and sell gas and other petroleum products for really cheap to the Canadian people. Like I wrote before:  screw the poor counties.  I want them to stay firmly entrenched at the bottom.  

99 per cent of Canada’s oil exports go to the USA. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah, where's my credit for supporting you? I pay my taxes too. 

BC just pays for itself. When Alberta leaves, you can start sending an extra 5 grand to Ottawa every year to pay the country's bills. Got any kids? Send 5 grand for each of them too. Enjoy.

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Every year each Albertan benefits from having their stuff their pockets money making products travel through our province to get to where it needs to overseas.  I'd say whining mooches can be applied to many....

So try not to apply labels unfairly.

Last time I checked, we've always been gouged over prices here in BC.  I have zero confidence that will/would change.

We pay our fair share here.

And if you want to destroy the planet, we'd just as soon go our own way too.   Funny how this works.

If there's no freedom of movement between provinces, there is no point. You don't like confederation so leave. It will be the natural thing to do when Alberta and Saskatchewan split anyway.

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Facts/truth":  we don't qualify/receive your handouts.  So quit whining?

image.png

It's more than just equalization payments. Alberta pays out 23 billion more than it gets back in a year. Then there is Alberta's support of CPP. That's the first thing that the province should bail out of. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/of-course-alberta-is-getting-fleeced-by-ottawa-just-not-in-the-way-you-think

13 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Not to BC residents they dont, at least this year, unless Surrey gets some special treatment... BC has received the least amount of equalization payments (Alberta excluded of course) compared to any other province with the next closest being Saskatchewan i believe, at more than double the amount. 

While I support the pipeline myself I can see why others dont... BC will receive a paltry amount (the least of any province in canada) when you factor in transfer payments compared to the $1-2B BC could see over the next 20 years or so. 

The pipelines will make it easy for Alberta to pay the country's bills so you don't have to.

Edited by Miler
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BPA said:

Pretty sure the pipeline will be built regardless if BC wants it or not.  JT overpaid for the pipeline.   It's not going to just sit there.  

JT bought the pipeline so he can shut it down without going through the CDN court system.....   Brilliant plan.

Alberta are bunch of tantrum crying children anyways.

The time to make changes and save our planet is NOW.     

Just say no to the TractorPull loving Province.  Climate change is real. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just say no to the TractorPull loving Province.  Climate change is real. 

That's cool - so I'm assuming you don't drive a gas-powered vehicle? Fly? Buy only local foods?

Climate change IS real, but to actually do something about it, people need to actually make decisions to avoid using fossil fuels. Just preventing them from being drawn/transported from your area of the globe does nothing for this particular problem.

Now, I also understand other ecological concerns related to the Alberta oil sands, and pipelines in general. I respect those who don't want the pipeline for legitimate reasons. But to make fun of a large portion of your fellow countrymen, and then stating the reason is something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand...that just makes you look silly.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Now, I also understand other ecological concerns related to the Alberta oil sands, and pipelines in general. I respect those who don't want the pipeline for legitimate reasons. But to make fun of a large portion of your fellow countrymen, and then stating the reason is something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand...that just makes you look silly.

When you deny  climate change  and the one of the contributing factors ( bitumen) ... You look silly and/or ill-informed.  

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

When you deny  climate change  and the one of the contributing factors ( bitumen) ... You look silly and/or ill-informed.  

You obviously can't read either.

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That's cool - so I'm assuming you don't drive a gas-powered vehicle? Fly? Buy only local foods?

Climate change IS real, but to actually do something about it, people need to actually make decisions to avoid using fossil fuels. Just preventing them from being drawn/transported from your area of the globe does nothing for this particular problem.

Climate change happens from the rampant burning of fossil fuels. Getting yours shipped in from Saudi Arabia instead of piped in from Alberta doesn't make a difference. To fight climate change, you need to take steps to lessen the use of fossil fuels, no matter where they are from.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

You obviously can't read either.

Climate change happens from the rampant burning of fossil fuels. Getting yours shipped in from Saudi Arabia instead of piped in from Alberta doesn't make a difference. To fight climate change, you need to take steps to lessen the use of fossil fuels, no matter where they are from.

You clearly can't read or think either.... 

Climate change in Saudia Arabia is difficult for Canadians to cause effect.  Canadians  focussing on Albertan dirty Tar Sands is a much more effective strategy to cause positive  improvements  in climate change. 

Todays tip for you . - stay in school. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You clearly can't read or think either.... 

Climate change in Saudia Arabia is difficult for Canadians to cause effect.  Canadians  focussing on Albertan dirty Tar Sands is a much more effective strategy to cause positive  improvements  in climate change. 

Todays tip for you . - stay in school. 

Do I have to spell it out for you? Climate change doesn't come from pulling oil out of the ground, in Saudi Arabia OR Alberta. It comes from burning/using that fuel. Suppressing the Tar Sands does nothing for climate change if you burn the same amount of fossil fuel, just from somewhere else.

So if you're really concerned about climate change, what are you doing about it, half-wit?

• Upvote 2

Here is a nice read for you

This could be the end of Canadian tar sands

Jan 12, 2017

The Canadian oil sands are one of the world’s largest sources of climate pollution and America’s biggest source of imported oil. And they may be about to go bust.

Canada’s oil sands, also known as tar sands, are the world’s fourth-largest reserve of crude oil. Mining them unleashes massive volumes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, easing the way for global warming to blow past 2 degrees C (3.6 degrees F) — levels considered “dangerous” under the Paris climate agreement.

The future of the Canadian oil sands industry is clouded with uncertainty because of simple economics. In today’s marketplace, there is little confidence oil prices will rise high enough to keep the oil sands profitable. And a flood of U.S. oil — one of the biggest reasons gasoline and crude oil have been cheap over the past two years — is sucking the life out of Canada’s oil industry.

“Frankly, for this reason, and because of longer-term trends toward cheaper renewables coupled with carbon pricing, the oil sands is likely a dead industry,” said Thomas Homer-Dixon, chair of global systems at the Balsillie School of International Affairs in Waterloo, Ontario.

https://grist.org/article/this-could-be-the-end-of-canadian-tar-sands/

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Do I have to spell it out for you? Climate change doesn't come from pulling oil out of the ground, in Saudi Arabia OR Alberta. It comes from burning/using that fuel. Suppressing the Tar Sands does nothing for climate change if you burn the same amount of fossil fuel, just from somewhere else.

So if you're really concerned about climate change, what are you doing about it, half-wit?

Is it recess for you now at your school.  

Have you ever studied supply and demand.......  ?    Canadians can not dramatically alter world demand of oil... but Canadians can reduce the worlds oil supply clearly by keeping our dirty peanut butter sludge Bitumen in the ground.

Please post quickly as i realize you are heading back to your middle school class soon....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is it recess for you now at your school.  

Have you ever studied supply and demand.......  ?    Canadians can not dramatically alter world demand of oil... but Canadians can reduce the worlds oil supply clearly by keeping our dirty peanut butter sludge Bitumen in the ground.

Please post quickly as i realize you are heading back to your middle school class soon....

Reducing supply does not reduce demand, it only raises the price and screws over the poor.

That is microeconomics 101 for you. 

As usual, Canadians, amongst the top 1% polluters worldwide, wanna act sanctimonious about global warming and screw over the poor of the world by raising prices, by affecting supply negatively, while themselves being in the top 1% of the polluters. Its called being Mary Antoinettes of the oil industry. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Reducing supply does not reduce demand, it only raises the price and screws over the poor.

That is microeconomics 101 for you. 

By keeping Peanut Butter sludge / Bitumen in the ground where it belongs..... clearly climate changed impacts can be reduced......

A raise in the world price of oil will only make green energy adoption more attractive and speed up the adoption of Green Tech / energy......

Why do i even bother discussing with climate change deniers that post here from their parked F 350 Trucks.....  

Greed is such a negative trait.

Keep BC and Canada Beautiful. 

By keeping Peanut Butter sludge / Bitumen in the ground where it belongs..... clearly climate changed impacts can be reduced......\

it can be reduced even more when hypocrite Canadians reduce their consumption before they mess with the poor of the world. 

A raise in the world price of oil will only make green energy adoption more attractive and speed up the adoption of Green Tech / energy......

Hasn't done anything for adoption of green energy despite the tax breaks and the subsidies it gets. So a rise in the oil price will only further screw over the poorest. 

Why do i even bother discussing with climate change deniers that post here from their parked F 350 Trucks.....  

I am not a climate change denier. I am simply a guy who points out the hypocrisy of Canadians like you, who consume more oil than 95% of the planet and still want to screw over the ones who consume less than you before you stop being the top 5% consumer of the planet. 

Greed is such a negative trait.

Keep BC and Canada Beautiful. 

Hypocrisy is an even worse trait. 

• Upvote 2

Since were going round and round. I'll join in. ...and say again.

Greater Vancouver is seeing large increase in transit use and growing , I heard 53% of the population here already use it. They need to develop fast to keep up.

Also, BC gov gives 35% rebate on electric vehicles and yep...they are booming.

I never thought about electric, I have owned lots of big gas guzzlers in my day but my next purchase is a commuting Motorino ...$0.07 to fill the battery.

Thanks for the push high gas prices, I should have done this sooner.

And pro tip for those concerned about your carbon foot print.

Don't breed.

Also, I cannot believe the 'separation' talk. Over this? you wanna leave Canada? Get a grip. I'll hold my words cause that idea actually makes me angry and will potentially emotionally affect my support for the pipeline...of which I am still undecided. 

• Cheers 1

• -DLC- locked this topic